Emmanuel Osadebe

In fairness he scored a couple of “Worldies” at Kiddy Harriers :smiley:

He’s been rubbish for the best part of two seasons and for four managers. Others might be worse, or might have an even poorer attitude, but I don’t think anybody would say we are a great team and he is the only weak link. He is one of a few that haven’t been anywhere near good enough.
I think that as fans we have been incredibly patient and supportive of a group of players, who, collectively, are one of the poorest we’ve had, and arguably the poorest, in my half century anyway.

1 Like

That was the twice …

Such as what? There is a cost of living crisis going on yet I’m shelling out on diesel to travel to home games to attend. To sit in a season ticket seat that the club had the money off me up front for and have done for 20 odd years. One of those years I didn’t get the chance to sit in it but I let them keep the dosh.

I can sit there in a 3rd kit with my name on that I didn’t get for free.

In fact the only thing I could say I could do more would be to clap and cheer, but then there hasn’t been much reason to do that of late. In fact I am that ambivalent to the club now I doubt it I could muster it anyway. However that swings both ways as I can’t even be bothered to raise my voice when the likes of Osadebe and Co turn in yet another shite performance.

That is nothing to do with me, or fellow fans. That is the club that has driven me to question whether I should bother next year. At present I’m cant say I am inclined to which will break a 35 year cycle of attending.

I can categorically state I am not looking at myself asking what more can I do or what I can do better.

6 Likes

For about 20 seconds against Hartlepool last month and when he scored a worldy against Tranmere last season.

I can’t recall any more times.

The Brentford and Burnley scouts are well impressed though :+1:t2:

1 Like

Tbf he should never have had that new contract under dutton.
Fans were already against him and this season has just compounded that and he has done nothing to change fans minds

Not really, Andy was at the back of the stand.

I have no dislike of Oss or any other player for that matter, but he definitely looked directly at the crowd and made several sarcastic gestures, both exaggerated facial expressions and “clapping” well before the incident late in the game, and I was sat directly infront of him about 5 or 6 rows back from the touchline in the second half literally a few yards away. Its not something that you would have likely seen sitting at the back as I was in the first half where you take a more general view of what’s transpiring, especially as at the time he wasn’t near the ball, he was in position at wing-back with the ball further up the pitch towards the Dale goal. I would imagine most people further back and not in the imediate vicinity would have been watching the area of the pitch where the “game” was taking place.

1 Like

Fair enough. You’re a reasonable and rational poster so I accept what you say as well.

I do think it was extremely unwise of him to react to comments from the crowd, but I guess everyone has their limits. I still haven’t noticed one comment on here criticising Osadebe for his effort in games. Yes, plenty of criticism of his skill and abillity and his decision making, but nobody suggesting he doesn’t put in a good effort, unlike others. Indeed, not far above this, someone makes the same point that I did on the Orient match thread that he was perhaps the only player that day always willing to have the ball and trying to do something to make things happen. He did this despite things not going his way and despite some audible murmurings from the crowd when things didn’t work for him. I think he should be applauded for that. If he simply isn’t a good enough footballer for Walsall, boo Michael Flynn for picking him for the team.

That’s exactly how I saw it - Osadebe approaching the touchline to retrieve the ball, and several supporters clearly pushing their way past stewards trying to approach the wall to have a go. They are the wrongdoers here.

2 Likes

As a side thing cracking bloke had a pint with him at Rovers away very knowledgable man indeed.(Your round next time @AndyWTaylor :wink:)

2 Likes

That was the incident later in the game.

Regardds Oss generally, I would say he’s one of the few players that’s given us a bit of actual football to watch (as PT suggested). Things like shots, goals, and assists. If he’d been more consistent (clearly his biggest problem) he would have been close to player of the season - but he hasn’t. Effort wise the whole team, with the exception of the keeper were off it on Saturday INCLUDING him, but he happened to be the one on the touchline nearest the fans when the negative chants started. Had Rochdale attacked their terraced end in the second half, which I presume they usually do, none of this would have happened.

1 Like

Another shit episode in a shit season in a shit decade of total shitness on and off the pitch.

I blame

a) all the fans that still bother and
b) social media

Absolutely top notch. Exemplary.

6 Likes

Interesting quote from Granit Xhaka today about this sort of thing:

“When I close my eyes now, I can still see their faces. I can see their anger. The passports were out. I was done with Arsenal. Finished.”

“I had barely begun to move when I heard the boos. And it was not just a few guys in the corner - it was a lot of people. I was shocked. I had never experienced anything like this. This is hate. Pure hate. I am really not exaggerating this.”

“To feel that level of hatred and disrespect - I wouldn’t want it for my worst enemy. Still to this day, if we have lost, I hate walking those last metres to the tunnel, because I still recognise the faces. The same people are sitting there.”

“So now, I just keep my head down. I lived through that nightmare once. I don’t ever want to do it again.”

“I understand that we will never be best friends, but I hope we can treat each other with honesty and respect. I want you to know that whatever I do on the pitch, it comes from the right place.”

3 Likes

You beat me to it. I was going to post a link to the article.

1 Like

You’re on - but you have to come to a game first. :smile:

1 Like

I’m buying tickets to the Swindon and port vale games mate(the offer) so saddlers suite it is :+1:t2: I’ll be with my dad and Amanda who you’ve already met of course so see you there buddy.

2 Likes

As I said Dave, I was at the back so not that close to the interactions along the wall and front rows, but I did see several of them that appeared to explicitly target Osadebe (to be fair, others at the team in general too). Couldn’t hear what was being said clearly but my attention was drawn by raised voices and gesticulating a coupe of times. I didn’t see any reaction back from him in real time so that’s why I went back to the iFollow footage to see if that showed any ear cupping, clapping, or other gesturing by him towards the fans that I missed. The only thing I see where he does any of that is during the 87th minute flare up and even then it’s not that clear cut that he is “having a go”.

You’re right that he was the player who came closest to our fans during the second half, but that wasn’t much to be honest. After Ward went off we reverted to a flat back 4 so he was moire a straight fullback rather than a wingback - and Rochdale mostly had us pegged back for the majority of the second half so he was on defensive rather than attacking duty most of the time. When we did go forward he wasn’t always hugging the line, and it would only be during stoppages that he’d not be concentrating on play. So the opportunities for him to be reacting to many abuse were fairly limited.

The first time i thought he was singled out (in real time) was the bloke walking along the gangway on 67 minutes - and I found that on the iFollow footage to confirm that something was said, although it might not have been specifically at just Oss (as the screen shows Kiernan not too far away). there was no evidence of any reaction back.

There is then nothing else on iFollow (which mostly followed the play) that shows him interacting with fans until the flare up which resulted in him being “pushed” (as per the ref’s comment to Flynn when he stopped the game and went over). I’m not saying that there weren’t instances of him giving it back, just that I did not see them myself and I can’t find anything on iFollow that shows otherwise.

BTW As it’s come up (again) as part of this thread … I was right at the front at the Accrington game when that kicked off (I was actually approaching the chief steward on the other side of the wall to thank him again for managing to get me a match programme after they had sold out before the game). Apart from being pushed and buffeted by loads of people wanting to go and shout at the players and not caring who was in their way, what I saw was Cook jumping in to defend Devlin who was the main target of the abuse being shouted. What was being shouted at him and/or the team in general he ignored, but it was the venom of the attacks on his team mate that riled him to react.

1 Like

I’ll be there for both. Will probably be with my dad too - 91 next month and still a season ticket holder.

2 Likes

That’s wonderful @AndyWTaylor . When did he first go to a Walsall match?

Very true.

As said if the charlatans running club cared as much as fans Incidents such as Saturdays would not i happen

Reason being players like. Him would not be at club in first place

2 Likes