Exclusive: Chairman Leigh Pomlett provides a club update following closure of the transfer window

I’m genuinely interested in this. So they think it’s now worse than the Bonsor years? Why give them up now? Financial reasons apart.

1 Like

I think it’s a culmination of the last 18 months on top of the Bonser years mate plus not being able to go has made some get used to it now it’s been almost a year.The notion that fans will flood back in there thousands when allowed I just can’t see happening we could lose them if anything .

1 Like

Don’t care what people think. Call me a horse ass. Whatever. I attended my first match in 1977 and have been attending ever since. Without any shadow of a doubt this is the worst team and bunch of players I have seen in 44 years. So can I criticise. yes I can

I’ve been going since 86 and this is on a par with the early Hibbitt seasons for me I don’t think that’s an unfair comparison

1 Like

For me it’s far worse. Then we had experienced players like staham, macdonald, Methven. We could only dream of affording players like that now.

1 Like

Did they have a global pandemic and no supporters in the ground back then?

1 Like

People don’t support Football clubs because of their owner, this seems to have become really engrained in WFC’s identity.

Unfortunately the football now feels like it plays 2nd fiddle to the off field activities at the club , a good run of success on the field is very much needed.

4 Likes

I found that a bit worrying today I don’t mind saying I got the impression we for whatever reason are in bigger trouble than they are letting on.

Of course you can. I think sometimes the changing landscape of football in general means people fall out of love with it. I started going in the 80s and was very much losing interest by the time of Hutchings. My kids have now heen brainwashed into supporting Walsall and their enthusiasm has reignited mine! They can’t wait to go back. I can tell them all i like about how things were different (or better) back in the day but they only know what football is like now.

U clearly don’t really know the history very well. Hibbitts Teams some of the worst ever but not as bad as this lot had a core of 3 or 4 very experienced pros. Why don’t you look up the likes of macdonald, staham etc on wikipideia. I can never imagine this current regime even signing one experienced pro who has played at a higher level let alone basing a team around a core of 3 or 4. There just seems no hope

Regards upcoming season tickets , if you brought one for this season , or thought about buying one what’s really happened to make you not buy one this time
On the face of it it’s even more needed now

I agree. It’s on the pitch that counts. And Pomlett has hadva tough gig so far, from the mess he inherited to the pandemic.

1 Like

They were different times though. Players like that don’t come down the leagues anymore. Or, at least it’s less often.

I agree with that, I was actually shocked last season as I genuinely believed we had a shot at promotion.Again we could easily be 8 points ahead of where we are this season.

It’s fine margins, a few more points on the board and everyone’s happy.

Yeah, I’m sorry for not knowing too much about a Walsall team that were playing before I was born.

With that in mind, I’m looking forward to your in depth analysis on our early 1950’s team that faced re-election to the League four years in a row…

You lose all credibility with your posts because you only seem to pop up when we’re performing badly on the pitch or something controversial is happening off it. You can’t seem to see past your hatred of Pomlett…

2 Likes

Well for posts with no credibility plenty of people seem to click the like button. And for ur info I don’t hate anyone. I criticise

At every single opportunity, even when it’s not merited and completely out of context.

Look, I’m not saying Pomlett is above criticism and I’m not overly impressed with losing our top scorer yesterday, but you have to see there’s a bigger picture here.

3 Likes

It’s a completely different game to the early 90’s, there was none of the ridiculous wages even for the top players in that era, hence why Players dropped down the leagues and played to an older age - because quite often they needed to financially.

We lost 6 games all season and 10 points off 1st place having played a game less than the top 2. Get a grip mate, Win our next two games we are in the mix for a play off place.

2 Likes

Good point. I regret to say but some on here a living in the past.The Premiership has changed everything and with most of the money going to the top 2 divisions clubs at our level will struggle more and more unless they have owners with lots of spare cash (Fleetwood, Mansfield etc) or they stumble across a really good Manager(Lincoln City is good example but there are others) who generates lots of cash from cup runs which is then invested cleverly in players.
The next appointment of a Manager is therefore absolutely crucial for me unless DC can suddenly find a magic formula. We won’t go down but I fear our return to Division 1 is some way off. Some fans may give up which I can understand but not me because when the good times do return I will enjoy them all the more.

9 Likes