Exeter City (H) 17th October, 3pm

"The Grecian youths are full of quality"

Shakespeare

We welcome The Grecians to Bescot for our third home game in a row. They are trailing us by a single point in the League 2 table as things stand, having lost just the one match so far. Looking at the table it’s interesting to note that Morecambe occupy top spot after 5 games but they have a negative goal difference, having somehow managed to lose 0-5 at home to a Cambridge side scoring for fun that day.

Back to Exeter City - they started their League career in 1920 by being founder members of the Third Division (as were we), and whenever we found ourselves in Division III (South) a trip to St. James’ Park was always on the cards - that was their original ground, and they’re still there. They evidently had lofty ambitions even before their League career started as they went on a South American tour in 1914, becoming the first side to play a Brazilian national team! Current League 2 form goes like this:-

September 12th Salford City (A) Drew 2-2
September 19th Port Vale (H) Lost 0-2
September 26th Mansfield Town (A) Won 1-2
October 3rd Cambridge United (H) Won 2-0
October 10th Southend United (A) Drew 2-2

Manager Matt Taylor was a much-travelled player turning out for 14 clubs in 16 years, but Exeter City became his first managerial step in 2018. He has a much-travelled player on his books in the form of Nicky Ajose (16 clubs in his playing career so far) who always seems to score against us…

Darrell Clarke will have been pleased by the performance in midweek against Leyton Orient, which raised us to the play-off zone - but he will know that Exeter City will probably present a tougher challenge than the O’s, and there is some doubt as to whether “Flash” Gordon will be fit enough for selection. Caolan Lavery also looks to be less than 100% fit, but if he does play it’s to be hoped that practice at taking penalties has been on the agenda!

Prediction? Well, if we show the same sort of form that has graced some recent fixtures, and try to forget whatever it was that was demonstrated against Forest Green Rovers… there is surely enough motivation in that fact that we are only 3 points behind top place (and with a superior goal difference!!). So I think a repeat of the O’s result is on the cards - a 2-1 home win, with Elijah and Dan Scarr on the scoresheet.

UTS

5 Likes

Had my code come through this morning.

3-0 Walsall

This could well have been a different game had we not got that crucial winner from ade against orient…
Confidence should be very good and can see us getting another win in an entertaining end to end game 3-2 to the saddlers.

2-1

Goals from Eli and Ade

Fantastic summary as always Welsh.

I’m finding it very tough to call this. Exeter look a decent side. Better than orient, but I’d say not as good as FGR or Colchester.

Looking at their games so far, it seems most of their goals scored have an element of poor defending from the other side. Given our propensity for giving away goals. I expect them to score at least 1, but they don’t look threatening enough to get more than that. Their number 14 Josh Randall looks their most potent threat on the left. That may prevent Norman providing the support to our attack he did so superbly on Tuesday.

At the other end, they appear vulnerable to pace. See Port Vale’s 2nd goal against them. That’s why I’m hoping Josh Gordon can make an appearance.

Also need to consider that Walsall will be tired after playing on Tuesday, and with another game coming up on Tuesday, may not have enough in them to score 2.

I expect Clarke to pick the same starting 11 as Tuesday, which was a great performance, and I expect us to be the better side, but perhaps not quite strong enough to win this one, so predict a point, which I’d be happy with.

1-1

This a tough one to call. Exeter have been a decent side for a while in this league and, like ourselves, are fighting to get out of it.
I like where we are right now, a good position in the table and the squad brimming with confidence, if we can get an early goal and keep the pressure on I believe we can win.

1 Like

Some hot water, lemon juice, a couple of aspirin, you’ll soon be feeling better and your code will go away and you’ll no longer be blocked up.

4 Likes

Another narrow win possibly 3-2 again. That will do for me.

Just got over it honey and lemon I recommend :blush:

1 Like

I can’t see us losing, so a win for me if we start to capitalise on some of the best approach play i have seen for some time.

1 Like

Im going for Desmond.

Scarr ( 74 ) & Holden (90+1)

348 to watch on iFollow

Darrel Clarke to use the word “tweak” six times in the post match interview

Now this will be the toughest game of the season.

Exeter keep on losing play off finals but they’re pretty good at this level and seem to have kept most of their squad around. Results not too bad but they didn’t beat Southend last week which will go down as poor result this season.

Talk their wide player Randall Williams might join a championship club before deadline.

Will go for 1-1.

We’ve had spells in games where we have looked very good. We’ve had spells in games where we look awful.

We look dangerous going forward during spells and we look terrifying in defence during spells.

We look at our best going forward when Guthrie, Holden and Adebayo are all on the pitch and playing. I’m happy to concede that they get more space if the opposition have doubled up on Wes but I still feel he is below the high standards he set himself last season. If he hits form then those four plus Josh when he is fit are a very effective attacking unit.

The defensive part of the team is far more problematic. From some erratic goalkeeping through really inconsistent performances from the four in front of him. Scarr is probably the most consistent but he too has the odd absolute brain freeze.

In summary we are a BTTS shoo-in.

2-2
Att: 0

1 Like

This is going to be a tough game, Exeter are a good side at this level

The pessimist that I am says we can’t keep this run going forever and are due a loss, a draw is as optimistic as I can be unfortunately :joy: but that’s what supporting Walsall does to you

On the other hand, if we win, I’m getting carried away and we’m gewin up

5-0! God, I need cheering up in all this pandemic malarchy!

1 Like

I’d pretty much agree with this. In Adebayo and Holden we have two exceptional attackiñg talents at this level. I’m shocked how poor our defence has been in the last two home games given that Clarke’s reputation was for producing solid, defensively sound teams. Should be an entertaining season though, and I still think with a good shot at the playoffs this season. Draw tomorrow

Tough game this. We need to be bang on it, no sloppy defensive mistakes and keep up the good work in creating chances. I’d absolutely take a draw.

1-1.

I’d take a draw to keep the unbeaten run going … 1-1

Probably be a draw but need to win really to keep up the right end of the table