Exeter City (H) 17th October, 3pm

1st half formation didn’t work. As said previously, big ask for Adebayo alone upfront. He got into good positions but no one in the box.
Nurse my MoM.
McDonald disappointing again - needs to do fewer step overs and just take them on at pace.
Corners wasted until Guthrie started taking them.
We have a problem when Guthrie doesn’t play. Kinsella / Sinclair / Bates are all too similar.

Can we buy Lavery a decent pair of boots so he doesn’t keep slipping over?

4 Likes

I thought Mcdonald was a liability today, kept on giving the ball away or losing it.

3 Likes

On a positive note today was a game that we would have ended up losing 1-0 in the late stages of the game based on the last couple of seasons.
Thought the back 4 looked far more composed today (apart from Liam’s heart in throat slip in 2nd half).
Main worry for me is how we are going to be creative enough when Guthrie isn’t playing. Can’t see anyone else in the squad who can play the role he does.

1 Like

I’m getting a bit worried about DC- has he learnt nothing ?
We know that Sincs and kinsella playing together kills any creativity.
We know playing h9lden right wing doesn’t help him influence a game.
We also now know that Osadebe cannot play as a striker.
We also now know that in the last 3 games our players have slipped over more than I have ever known, can they please look at their studs ?
Winter length needed.
Lavatory offers very little as per the rest of this season.
Nurse MOM and we didn’t lose.
Time to get ■■■■■■.

2 Likes

He’s been miles off (his previous high standards) all season. Just hope he can play himself into form soon because we came to depend a lot on him last season and with no natural right winger we lop-side the whole attacking part of the team to accommodate him.

1 Like

As I said earlier,it’s just become too easy to belt the ball up to Adebayo now,it gets the defence out of a pickle and the midfield are doing the same to a lesser degree.We need Wes to do his job and we need someone on the right,even if its someone off the bench for the last half hour if Wes isn’t working out.

1 Like

McDonald today played against defender, who perfectly know how to mark him and eliminate him from the game. I can say it could be seen as a reason, why he is in League Two, not in leagues higher. Main worry for me, without Guthrie there was no one, who could control midfield line. I thought some money would be used to sign someone, who is not as skilled as Guthrie, but can play on some level for plus 180 mins in every week. And won’t be overrun between penalty areas. But that’s too late for it now.

5 Likes

Negative formation at home for me do not want Sinclair and Kinsella playing together.

3 Likes

Frustrates me when people criticise Guthrie, it’s clear as day we are twice the team with him in it.

Fingers crossed we get him involved in at least 50% of our remaining games.

5 Likes

Mcdonald switched wings at half time so it had nothing to do with the defenders, he just don’t look interested like you say probably why he’s playing in this league he doesn’t have the consistency to play any higher.

How has he been miles off it all season? Excellent the other night, great second half against Colchester, scored a banger against Chelsea kids, good second half against Grimsby. He was also involved in crucial goals in all of those games.

McDonald is now well and truly in the Sawyers/Oztumer “bloody hell how do you not win us the game on your own every week!” territory. Also hilarious that when ever he doesn’t it’s simply because he cba :roll_eyes: can’t just be not his day or decent defending. Or teams figuring out we only have one out and out winger.

Also hardly his fault Clarke has gone through three transfer windows without a right winger. That’s what lopsides our team, not having a decent left winger.

5 Likes

He switched wings, because defender made no place for him to play on his favourite side. He was probably identified as main offensive threat, so he got someone to watch over him. And that’s all. Of course he should rise to the challenge, but if he could do this, regularly, he would be at least one league higher.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone expects him to be class for 90 mins week in week out hence he is playing league 2 as people have identified, it’s more the apparent lack of interest at points. For example, there was an Exeter attack first half where twice he could /should have tracked a player better / closer and helped nullify what became a dangerous attack and cross into our box. The likes of Adebayo and Osedebe were regularly busting a gut to get back in front of the player and make themselves a nuisance. Wes just doesn’t seem to want to do that at times. It almost as if, when a few attacks don’t go his way, his head goes down and then doesn’t apply himself to the other parts of the game he needs to.
I recognise he is a ‘different sort of player’ and isn’t a kinsella or @taundz but at the same time, there is an attitude of working for the team that needs to be there.

1 Like

Don’t buy the lack of interest at all. Very English way to look at it. “Oh he’s just not trying hard enough”

I take the point he’s poor defensively. I don’t think that’s lack of effort I think it’s lack of reading ability, and general defensive technique. Remember it being said of Sawyers and Oztumer as well. Happens with any flair player we have. Either way it’s a weak area of his game though so fair enough.

The bit I find unfair is pretending he’s been that way every game all season. I gave examples why this is absolute nonsense.

Amazed to see McDonald taking pelters, I could name you 5/6 players that concern me more than he does.

3 Likes

Not sure how that is an ‘English way of looking at it’! I think you’re right, he doesn’t read stuff or see it as his job, which is possibly fair enough. But on that particular moment in the game, he could see the players making a run past him and he didn’t break out of a jog to catch him up and make it harder for the player to attack / cross. It was that noticeable. I’m not saying that he is the only one in 90 mins that does that, it can be just be more noticeable with him.

Btw, I haven’t said he has been that way every game, and I am also not giving him ‘pelters’, just making an observation about a player that was being discussed. I guess with the sort of player he is, he can polarise fans though.

English is probably unfair. Old school maybe?

It’s very easy to look at a player who isn’t performing and say “well he just isn’t trying hard enough”. I never find it’s as simple as that and actually think that’s a pretty serious accusation to make towards a player. Especially one that has done pretty well for the club overall. As I said, it’s always the same type of “flair” player that gets this, when actually I’ve seen him really pull his socks up this season. For a period after Orient scored the other night he was the only player that reacted. Picking the ball up and running at the defence, trying to make something happen. At times this season I’ve seen him play both wings at the same ■■■■■■■ time (ridiculous if you ask me but I’ve said enough about that). He doesn’t strike me as a player who just doesn’t put the effort in.

1 Like

Fair enough, I haven’t seen him in every game as much as you probably have so I haven’t seen all of the occasions where he has ‘shown he cares’. I was just trying to comment on what I saw in today’s game and was frustrating.

Easily Nolan Sinclair Kinsella Clarke and at times Lavery and Scarr are all weaker links than Mcdonald.

1 Like

I was mainly talking about the Orient game (reaction to the goal) and Col U (noticed he was playing both wings). Fair enough if you didn’t see them, I just wanted to clarify what I was referring too.