Fans back in stadiums?

A lot of work and probably a few quid has gone into preparing for this. Not surprised by the decision though. It seems like the government are treating the public like naughty kids, taking away their toys for not doing as they are told.

You have to wonder how the club is managing given that there is no football income, and the off field income must have reduced significantly.

Even Bonser couldn’t keep us “in the black” with all that going on.

5 Likes

Quite simply they are playing us. Feel so sorry for the clubs that have put so much effort into achieving all the details of this pathetic shower’s hoop jumping… for nothing.

Being told what to do, when and where by odious self-interested individuals like Gove, Hancock, and more widely Ferguson, and Cummings. This is sadly the world we live in, and will continue to be so long as we put up with it.

In my opinion the PL/EFL should react and just call the season to a halt just to stop dancing to their tune. They’ve used the plastic TV based “product” as a distraction to jolly us along to this point.

3 Likes

A disgraceful decision by this inept group of politicians.Devastating for a lot of clubs and their fans. This government has lost my support. I wonder if Starmer, pictured at our ground this week, will take a different line. Very sorry for LP and all those who have worked on getting the ground ready for nothing. Time I think for all those involved in football, the Leagues, the supporter organisations to tell the government that the game is finished as a competitive sport. the government will then have to face the electoral consequences. There important elections next May!!!

8 Likes

Idiotic comments from Gove this morning on BBC Breakfast justifying the decision because of how outbreaks can be linked back to sold out sporting events in March.

Does he not realise that 3,000 socially distanced fans in a stadium that’s following every piece of regulation to the letter, is a whole lot different to the Cheltenham Festival operating as normal?

Hopefully, the EFL can lobby for some exceptions for League One and Two clubs.

11 Likes

Season needs to be halted until fans are allowed back. No way can the lower league clubs function with no fans for such a long time. Or a support package from the powers that be which will cover the cost of wages at each club until stadiums re-open.

Gove understands football?? We all get the tube ?? Buying food? We’ve run out of most stuff before half time
All about the Premiership I’m afraid. The more I sit here the angrier I get :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
This bares no correlation to league 2 football

2 Likes

It doesn’t even affect the Premier League all that much. It affects the fans of course, we all love our clubs whoever we support. The clubs still get their extortionate TV money. I noticed they had extra late kickoffs over the weekend on TV. Fans don’t really want to watch their club kick-off at 7 pm on a Sunday evening, but it’s not much bother if you can just put it on TV like the latest episode of a soap. It wouldn’t surprise me that if over time the games became pay per view.

For the likes of us, I just don’t see any future the way things are. I am surprised clubs at our level survived this far. We’ve already lost one, even if that was down to serious mismanagement, there will be plenty more to follow.

4 Likes

I expect a statement from the club along with many others - clubs and all organisations involved in football need to start applying pressure

We’ll have invested a lot of money into getting things up to the standards they’ve requested just to have the goal posts moved at the final hurdle. LP said himself we’ve budgeted for fans to return in October and it would be a big problem if this wasn’t the case so I dread to think of the consequences for us and many other clubs

4 Likes

The most ridiculous decision by the most inept government ever, voted in by the people.

Does anyone ever stop to ask those considered “vulnerable” whether this is how they want to live their lives? I suspect many would just ask for the chance to do the things they love doing, like going to the football.

People like Gove aren’t proper football people. They don’t have a clue what it means to folk who have it in their bones, who get edgy if they’re not at the match when it kicks off at 3pm on a Saturday.

As someone said yesterday, this has gone way too far now and people really need to consider where they want this to lead. Over the last couple of days in particular, the government has issued “warnings” to the people. That’s a dangerous position when it is the people who elect the government and thus the people who should be issuing “warnings” to the government.

6 Likes

I don’t care for politicians generally, but if we still have a democracy it’s time for the opposition to start earning their money.

Just as an observation are we still proceeding with the anomolous position whereby Rushall Olympic can have 600 fans in a ground that holds 2000 on Saturday, while down at the Bescot our 11,300 “covid safe” venue remains empty?

Even worse just down the road from me, Sunderland cant have any fans in League 1 with a ground capacity of 49,000, but South Shields welcome 600 in a ground that holds 3,000.

I wonder if they’ve thought this through??
:crazy_face:

1 Like

Why are they just nodding along, saying they will back whatever the government throws out there? Why aren’t they asking for the measures that are being put in out and shook all about to be explained properly with some kind of logic, when it is difficult to make any sense of most of it.

According to Lisa Nandy this morning they might start arguing back a bit this afternoon :joy:

I actually think what we’re going through here is gaslighting, just on a national level. Probably just what to expect when you’ve got the Bullingdon Club and the likes of Dido Harding running the “show”. We are no longer an electorate to be represented, we’re simply “the fags”.

I can’t help but think whenever I watch the likes of Gove and Hancock, that they’re actually loving all of this, its what they’ve always dreamed of.

1 Like

Cancel the season with the aim of saving costs, it’s the only logical answer.

IFollow alone will not fund the day to day activities of a club like Walsall.

3 Likes

Bojo’s just announced 6 more months of restrictions.

EDIT: National League considering postponing the start of their season, can’t see much of a difference between their level and ours.

5 Likes

Can’t see any option but to cancel the season.

Unfortunately that will mean all clubs making players and staff redundant and moth balling every non income generating part of the clubs.

Lower league football cannot continue for 6 months under these ridiculous restrictions. Its time to go into hibernation and see if enough clubs can survive the winter.

2 Likes

Problem with that mate is it will be exactly the same next winter. Sad but true.

Time for the EFL to actually do some work, stand up for their members and find a viable long-term solution.

I really feel for WFC. They’ve worked hard to keep us all updated, jumped through every hoop that’s been put in front of them and have now had the rug pulled from underneath them by a Government that can’t seem to distinguish between Manchester United and Barrow.

8 Likes

What its time for is MP’s to start representing their communities in Parliament instead of cheerleading the loons. I’ve just watched the speech, followed by an hour and a half of everyone more or less back-slapping Bojo for the restrictions. Its like watching a horror show.

6 Likes

Can’t see them rolling anything back for EFL clubs. If anything it’s easier to introduce reduced crowds socially distanced for PL clubs in bigger grounds than it is for us but I can’t see that happening either.

Rightly or wrongly, football fans are sneered at by the majority of the population and press. If you tell the general public don’t go and see your Nan but you tell thousands of football fans they can go and watch their “pointless” game people, and red tops, will go to town when cases inevitably do go up in the winter and the government know this.

Is it fair? Possibly not. Is it reality? Yes

3 Likes

It doesn’t help when every time there’s a non league goal there’s footage of fans completely ignoring any sort of social distancing.

1 Like