Fans back in stadiums?

Just in time for the predicted second wave. Hope VAR is sorted by then or there could be riots at Premier games.

As he said “could” I’m not optimistic we will be back.

We should be back for the first home game in my view however we will have to see how the “pilots” go.

Since the PM mentioned near normality hopefully by Christmas I’m fairly sure fans will not be allowed in in numbers even with social distancing.

The report states that all areas of public space need to be considered. Bars, concourses etc. Not just 40% of the capacity so it will be reduced further than anticipated. Kick off dates are likely to correspond as near as possible.

I would forget about the bars and food (unless you bring your own) outlets. Also no ticket office, shop or programme sales. All these are pinch points and will be a ballache to manage. Keep it simple.

The bogs will be difficult to manage safely.

Have we had any significant “spike” in cases/deaths as a result of pubs reopening? Same as we didn’t as a result of the weeks of mass protests, the Liverpool celebrations, the half a million on Dorset’s beaches?? Other countries are already allowing fans back in stadiums, I don’t see any justification in this latest announcement targetting “possibly October”, based on what exactly?

1 Like

I’ve made my views clear that we should just be pretty much back to normal, but if clubs are going to be coerced into a set of new practices then what about just opening up the stadium site as much as possible with some extra temporary bogs and a relatively open air fanzone around the stadium that can be freely accessed before and during the game, creating more of a festival environment rather than the more couped up traditional stadium environment where the emphasis is on strict control of entry and movement. The various exit gates could easilly be used to create a one way flow of fans around, and in and out of the ground, and of course it seems unlikely that away fans are going to be allowed. Not my thing, but eminently do-able for a limited attendance of a few thousand.

3 Likes

If lower league football has been called off, how come Boreham wood played FC Halifax tonight?

National league play-offs are being played over the next two weeks.

1 Like

The playoffs were allowed to happen in both National League and National League North / South

1 Like

Cheers guys :+1:

Boreham wood won tonight now play Harrogate in the semi

1 Like

Ye they kept me sweating on my bet, i had Huddersfield them and West ham for a couple of hundred :wink:

1 Like

I saw Matt Rhead who got the winner play for Lincoln when they beat Ipswich in the cup a few years back he made Andy Cook look thin😂

2 Likes

Fancy a trip to Harrogate…Boreham wood ground is right by the BBC Elstree studios.

Either would be good Harrogate a great place though the distance it would be better for a overnight stay

Heres the Draft (with a silent “r” in my opinion) proposals,

https://sgsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SG02-Planning-for-social-distancing-at-sports-grounds.pdf

What I don’t get is this talk of social bubbles (up to 6 people from no more than two households) who can sit together. All fine and dandy as far as it goes but from the pubs I’ve been in since the easing of restrictions I see little interest how many people are congregated together and how many households they come from.

If no one is really that bothered with people inside a pub why so much attention to people sitting outside at a football stadium?

2 Likes

Interesting.

By the back of my fag packet based upon the illustrations contained in here, the Bescot capacity would be reduced to around 3,400 in the first instance.

Which unfortunately isn’t a million miles away from meeting home demand. Basically season tickets plus 1,000 odd.

If the club could run a system whereby season ticket holders who weren’t attending advised the club, thereby enabling their ticket to be recycled, we would only have a few disappointed fans.

From a revenue perspective the big miss would be any large away followings we might miss out on. Bolton at home after Christmas would be best in the hope that there is further lifting.

3 Likes