Fixture Release Day - 23rd June

As soon as I know what we are doing mate I’ll let you know and we can find a watering hole.

1 Like

The life of a retired council worker.Sounds like your busier now than you were when you had a full time job :wink:

2 Likes

He’s probably doing some cash in hand repairs while he’s out there knowing our chunks :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

Hope we get an extra allocation for Newport, I think many are set to miss out.

TBF last season it was just going to be the corner in the touchline stand but numbers were bigger than expected so they opened the temporary stand behind the goal.

I assume with this new stand that might be getting replaced? Given the other stands are home fans only.

Pretty sure last season it was about 600 which was fantastic given it was an average start to the season so can’t see why it would be less this time given it’s the first away.

My travel tip would be for those based south of Brum would be to drive to Worcestershire Parkway. From there it’s only 20-25 quid to Newport going v Bristol Parkway or Gloucester so can save decent amount rather than travelling in from Brum. Or a tour of the Welsh valleys as @Belphegor prefers. :wink:

I think we will take closer to 1k if we get the tickets, hopefully common sense prevails.

2 Likes

Just sorted mine. :+1:

just goo mine straight through no problems.

See my similar comments about the club’s automated telephone system over the last couple of seasons.

From 9am this morning I tried many times too, being disconnected each time after several minutes of the by now boring on-hold muzak. In the end I bit the bullet and paid the extra £1.25 “admin” charge to do it via our eTicketing site. Why does doing it all yourself cost more than when another real life human being is involved in the process?

1 Like

What you doing about Newport mate? Attending?

I e-mailed The SLO ( just to feed back my experience) who in turn passed it onto the ticket office. I have since received a nice reply from the ticket office manager who is going to contact the telephone service provider to see what can be done to improve the service.

4 Likes

Silly question Scoob. :joy: We’re playing - I’ll be there.

There isn’t a decent pub close by the ground but there is a bar/club house (more rugby oriented than football) inside our end. If you’re coming by train you’re probably best fining somewhere in the city centre on your long walk over to the ground.

1 Like

It’s only about 15 mins walk from the station (I think)

15 minute walk if you run …

1 Like

From their website….

The nearest train station to Rodney Parade is Newport (Gwent). It is not far way and should take less that 10 minutes to walk.

Leave the train station via the entrance/exit at “Platform 1”.
Cross the road (so that you are outside Admiral Insurance) and turn left.
Follow the pavement. It will eventually curve left (past Delilah’s Café and Bar). This will bring you out near the Market Arcade and Popadom’s Indian Restaurant.
Turn left and follow the road to the end.
At the end of the road you will see a staircase on your right. Go down the stairs and through the underpass which will bring you out at Clarence Street Bridge.
Go over the bridge and take your first right onto Rodney Road.

Our turnstiles are in the opposite corner of the ground if you follow those directions, you’ll have to walk all the way round - so still say 15 mins is pushing it (especially as there are a couple of busy roads to cross that will slow you down even more).

For those driving, Rodney Road and its side-streets are pretty much a write off. You’re better off on the Corporation Road side of the ground (there’s a short alley to our entrance). Unrestricted parking is limited on that road but usually plenty available in the streets of the estate opposite.

2 Likes

I think the rail strike is that day - I’ll be driving up from South Wales, having sent my train tickets off to GWR for a refund!

3 Likes

It’s an easy 10 minutes walk from train station over the bridge to myriad of terraced house where a football ground slowly emerges.

It actually took me longer last season to get from entrance to away end than from train station to ground as didn’t realize you couldn’t walk through to away bit from the rugby entrance so had to do a full 360 degree spin round outskirts of ground before finally stumbling across entrance by accident!

@AndyWTaylor explains all that above…there is another bridge you can walk over to get back to centre pretty quickly though and then it’s five minutes back to station.

As for drinks…can’t say Newports spoons and other dubious bars are that tempting tbh, you’d never guess a great european capital is just ten minutes away on the train…

1 Like

You’re going to the wrong places, Newport is great for Bars. Tiny Rebel do cracking beer and food. There’s a bunch of nice places in the town centre.

Cellar Door Microbrewry too is decent. There’s a couple of CAMRA pubs too. If you can’t find somewhere to drink in Newport you’re doing it all wrong.

Even the bar in the away end isn’t bad as far as away end bars go.

1 Like

Funnily enough was drinking in the Tiny Rebel outlet…in Cardiff before the game. :wink: