Fleetwood Town (H) 9th Mar, 3pm

"I went and wet a line today … down where you caught that cod,
The biggest one you’d landed yet and though it was my rod
I reckon he was yours all right … but cod are far and few.
They don’t bite like they used to, Dad. They don’t bite like they used to."

(Merv Webster)

Back in November we managed to keep a clean sheet in the corresponding away fixture, maintaining our pressure on the play-off zone. Now, some four months later, the pressure is being exerted on us at the other end of the table - it should be noted, however, that a mere 2 points is all that separates 8 clubs, and a Walsall win could propel us almost to mid-table respectability!

Joey Barton’s Fleetwood Town won’t be relaxing on the beach yet - occupying 10th place in the League One table, and having 49 points they’re only 6 points adrift of the play-offs. Their main scoring threat(s) come in the form of Paddy Madden and Ched Evans, who have notched 31 goals between them. A real test for our non-zonal defence then …

Current Cod Army League One form:-

26 Jan Scunthorpe United (H) Lost 0-1
2 Feb Charlton Athletic (H) Won 1-0
9 Feb Bradford City (A) Won 0-1
16 Feb Luton Town (H) Lost 1-2
23 Feb Burton Albion (A) Won 0-1
2 Mar Gillingham (H) Drew 1-1

The combination of Dean Keates and Martin O’Connor seems to have brought about a fresh approach on the field of play, not to mention a cavalier attitude that results in bodies being laid on the line (some of the footage from the Bradford City game was reminiscent of Tony Barras, Graeme Forbes and Zigor Aranalde). The importance of continuing this approach can’t be over-emphasised when you see some of our matches in the near future.

Prediction? This is the 2nd game of Andy Cook’s enforced absence, so hopefully the hoof-ball won’t be rearing its ugly head just yet … Happiness would be a scrappy 1-0 win, with Nicky Devlin repeating his performance against Scunthorpe United!

UTS

2 Likes

Madden and Evans against our defence is a terrifying thought. Part of me thinks 1-1 draw. Part of me thinks 2-0 defeat.

2 Likes

Didn’t think much of Fleetwood in the away fixture, hoping we can nick a 3-2.

A dogfight of a 2-2 belter…

Having seen us at Burton I think 1-0 is a possible result. We are certainly short of goalscorers but our defence looked really solid.

Can see goals in this one an injury time goal for the saddlers. In a 4-3 victory. Martin o Connor having a scrap with joey Barton on the touchline after dobbo strikes the late winner .

4 Likes

Barton is one of my all time hated players alongside mark hughes :confounded:

1 Like

Sit just behind away dug out so would enjoy that scrap

We will go 2-0 up first half. ( Dobson and Gordon )

It will go to 2-2 mid way through the second . ( Who Cares and Who Cares . )

MOC will become so frustrated and enraged by this collapse that he calls the FA, pulls some strings to get an immediate playing registration ( he used to know Barbara in Admin ) , comes on as sub in the 85th minute and promptly rifles a 30 yarder screamer into the roof of the net at the Hilary Street end .

He celebrates so hard , with so much arm pumping that he realises he is 50 , is exhausted and goes back on the bench for a sit down and a smoke. Osbourne comes on for him .

Joey Barton to say in the post match interview that no wonder we beat Ajax , we were the best team he’s ever seen ( including games he’s taken in on the TV)

Local reporter says thank you , but still helps stewards usher him out of the stadium onto the coach for being such a Richard Head for so long .

Att: 5,239 ( school kids are on free tickets so Comminity Stand will be rocking)

4 Likes

Very entertaining KennyMower :grinning:

Ever thought of becoming an author ? :smile:

Sting in the tail defeat I’m afraid, 1-2 defeat. Think Fleetwood have a decent away record in recent times.

Edit: They’ve won at Burton, Bradford and Wimbledon all in last six weeks without conceding a goal.

Toughie.

2-1 defeat or maybe 1-0, we’ll see. Some will then say we’re consigned to relegation with 10 games left but this season has a lot of twists and turns yet (not that I don’t think we’ll be relegated!)

If you were offered a point for Saturday right now, would you take it?

No only 3 will do . ( I can see the lads being up for this one )

1 Like

Yes, a point would be something

Time to turn this positive blip into decent form. Keep an eye on Soutter, get in front and stay in front. About time we did that at home.

As others have said I think we’ll be up for this one, that’s what having Joey Barton in the dugout does to the opposition.

Did well at their tinpot place, need to go one better. Hoping Ferrier is back in the squad, but perhaps Oteh to open his account?

7-1 All original members of S Club to score for us.

1 Like

A draw is no good. We need the 3 points. We won’t keep a clean sheet, though, so it could require a Bradford-like performance.

Think we can win this one with the togetherness they have recently showed. However, a draw would not be the worst thing as long as the team show an improved performance.

2 Likes

Agree the performance is a big deal this Saturday to get supporters on side for what is going to be a tough,tough run of fixtures ahead.