Flynn Hokey Cokey

It was actually 16 in all comps in 12/13, but we were still clear of relegation in the league above following that run so Bonser would have been reasonably happy no doubt. Smith had also built up some credit in the bank for keeping us up and successfully negotiating recovery from another double digit winless run the season before - he did so again winning 8 or the next 10 games, and then another run of 13 unbeaten so a spectacular turnaround of w 12 d 9 l 2 Who knows how close Smith was to the sack if at all, but that oft quoted winless run should always be put in the context outlined by Shrops and what happened next.

Flynn is managing in the fourth division, the expectation is play-offs and cup runs, not cup -exits and mere avoidance of relegation.

7 Likes

Seen strong evidence Flynn is quitting Walsall to join the WWEā€¦

Christ that should be the new club emblen. Literally say it about every manager.

2 Likes

Ah, I remember now. Think that included the terrible performance at Coventry.

It certainly was and it was enjoyable to go and watch. I wasnā€™t around/old enough to remember the Buckley years sadly but from what Iā€™ve heard from older fans they were brilliant times from a brilliant man.Iā€™m not saying Smiths time was anywhere near as good as Buckleys but Smiths time was my own personal ā€œgood timesā€ and hopefully at the age of 41 wonā€™t be my last.

1 Like

The Buckley years were exceptional partly because of the time that they took place. He had his teams playing such pure, good football and, back in those days, it was still possible to say that a Third Division team played a First division team off the park (as we did against Arsenal, in particular). The Smith days were fantastic because of the wonderful football we played as well, but we were never in the class of the Premier League and, indeed, never got the chance to test ourselves in that way.

3 Likes

Yep in LEAGUE ONE!

1 Like

Was that when Butler got sent off and Taundry looked completely out of his depth?

The positives are that we are not getting red cards left, right and centre. Compare this to Bristol Rovers right now (whoā€™d have thought that of a Joey Barton team!)

Iā€™m hoping that Williams gets a goal on Tuesday against his old club and goes on a run.

Remember that Cheltenham are the same team that conceded a crazy amount against Exeter. I feel that this is a good team to play because:

1.) we are away so the pressure is off in terms of the crowd.
2.) we are playing a higher league club so again, less expectation
3.) they are a team that play football so the likes of Hutchinson and Maddox can get on the ball.

I hope that Earing takes his opportunity too because he fluffed his lines v West Hamā€¦

A good performance can stem the tide. Really hope that we can score early and build confidence. To achieve this, we need to move the ball quickly and get shots off!

I agree, but having listened to Flynn post Orient I just hope we remember to turn up.

1 Like

Totally wrong to sack Flynn. Heā€™s a good manager. As was Darrell Clarke. Problems much higher up. Absolutely shite investment. What exactly do u expect when his budget allows people like Cashman, Abraham, Makuna, Williams etc etc

2 Likes

From the winless run

Stevenage - should have won, but unlucky to have so much added time
Barrow - deserved defeat
Gillingham - we had a very good chance to win (forget who), admittedly so did Gillingham
Charlton - robbed by ref :rage:
Grimsby - Should have been 2-0 up and game over but poor miss by Knowles
Bradford - DJ misses pen in first minute
Colchester - shoot ourselves in foot with defensive mistake in first minute :man_facepalming:
Leyton Orient - Probably deserved defeat

Now Iā€™m not saying the above is acceptable, just making the point that just one or two things that had they gone for us instead of against us we would have 3, 4 or possibly 5 wins. For this reason I think the negativity is misplaced.

11 Likes

Probably agree. Apart from stevenage

13 game winless run, followed by 2 losses in 24, going from bottom of the table to missing out on the play offs by 6 points

Totally agree.

What do I expect - by now some kind of tangible plan A, involving a style and method clearly set out to get the best out of our players, with players signed to suit the plan.
And in adversity I want to see the second string players motivated to take their chances so that they can feel comfortable fitting into the same system, as valued members of the squad.
I also expect basic aspects of the game that derive from what transpires on the training ground to be of a much higer standard. That meaning set-pieces both in attack and defence, defensive organisation, and how we aim to get up the pitch in posession in order to create chances for our forwards, one of whom is of a very high standard when given service.

2 Likes

15 games without a win in the 12-13 season, which included 2 in the F A Cup against Lincoln City, who were then a non-league team but won a replay at Bescot.
The very last game of that run was a 2-2 draw with Yeovil at Bescot and iirc we were 2-0 up with about ten minutes to go, but conceded twice and drew.
I think @ShropsSaddler is right, there seemed to be a plan, which cut Smith a little slack, and although there were a couple of horror shows in that run, we did play well at times. Plus weā€™d made a really good start to the season, which gave us a cushion.
Also I think there was an understanding that the squad was thin, the usual mix of youngsters, journeymen, loans (four keepers?) and players who had their best years behind them.
It all clicked eventually and Brandy, Grigg, Westcarr and Patterson played some wonderful football. Shame we couldnā€™t keep them together for another couple of seasons.

4 Likes

We had eight different goalkeepers and 33 players in that season.

Darlow, McLoughlin, Walker, Grof, Jones, Johnstone, Roberts and McCarey according to TransferMarkt.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Jimmy played, Iā€™m not sure if he was injured which might have been the reason why we needed the loans. I think it was before Roberts and I have no idea who Jones is, Iā€™ve forgotten him whoever he was.
Darlow was good, Johnstone looked very, very good and I remember McLoughlin and McCarey playing but remember nothing about them, either good or bad.
What happened with Grof, did he get injured as well or was he out of form?

The issue there is, why not sign one better quality player than those 3 , no issue with Williams heā€™s a well proven player at this level, still works harder than most in the team , and his general contribution to the game is good regards holding the ball up and bringing others into play pretty much the only one who can do this , obviously needs a goal, but overall heā€™s definitely a positive addition.

2 Likes

I think people need ro calm down a bit as to where we find ourselves at the moment. Things have only changed since we conceded that 100th minute goal against Stevenage. Since then, if Johnson and Knowles had of taken any of their many chances in other matches, and if DJ had score his penalty against Bradford, plus any of our other 23 chances in that game, then things would be so much different.

For example, Knowles and DJ had 3 clear cut chances to put us 2-0 up against Grimsby before they scored and went on to win. Other games have been similar. I think there was only Barrow where we have been really shit for the whole game

Flynn is right, some of these players.need.to step up a bit and show some bolox. Iā€™m positve things will change. Next 10 games we, on paper, can win 6 of those, and things will.look so.much better.

Plus, I also think Flynn has his eye on anither free agent that he wants to push the Board into giving the backing to sign.

5 Likes

Jimmy got sent off v Franchise I think for handling ball outside area and he didnā€™t get his place back after.

Grof initally came in and did well but he was poor in the Lincoln cup games and that started the endless amount of loan keepers.

For most part 12/13 was really good fun. I remember going to Preston in deep mid winter and no exaggeration to say the team couldā€™ve scored 6-7 that day. Think a week later Bournemouth were dispatched comfortably 3-1. Two years later half of that team were holding their own in premier league so shows thin margins sometimes as they were a par club in 2013 pretty much.

Coventry 4-0 on Easter Monday was also a brilliant performance with Baxendale at the heart of everything and keeping Sawyers on the bench.

In true Walsall fashion DS then lost all of the forward line so it was always a big ask to expect the same the next season, can actually remember Brandy coming back on loan and scoring a hattrick at Notts County but he wasnā€™t as effective without the other two.

4 Likes