Flynn Hokey Cokey

We can add Lee Beevers to that season’s list of goalkeepers too then!

Looking it up, It appears that was actually the season before (11/12) when Grof (22) and Walker (24) were the only keepers used. Walker was sent off in October and missed a couple of games but then got his place back until January when Grof took over and saw out most of the rest of the season. I don’t think Smith was a fan of Grof’s attitude so got rid.

1 Like

Youth keeper, no first team appearances.

1 Like

Ah wrong season! 11/12 was a pretty forgettable one really. Most memorable game probably was beating Sheff Weds 2-1 with two goals past 90 minutes over xmas period.

Apart from that can’t remember many decent matches at all compared to 12/13.

Cannot see flynn getting sacked or walking at the moment, so Tuesday will see line up before getting tickets not willing to watch the kinsella, comley sideway back pass show it boring and really crap

Look. We ain’t won for 9 games but no one has tonked us in that time, we have lost most games by the odd goal and, arguably could have got something from several of those games with a bit of luck - some Bradford supporters even suggested we could have beaten their high flying team. And we do have a lot of injuries currently. Asking for the sack for the manager at this juncture is at least premature, and I hear the poster who said Smith had some very long no-win sequences in his earlier days. We really have to be a bit more patient. Of course, if things are as bad or worse come the New Year, it might be time to panic. I’m not exactly an optimist - more a hopeful type.

2 Likes

It was dull, we drew nearly half our league matches that season, only won 10 and still ended 7 points clear of relegation! The Wednesday game was good (well, injury time was) but that game and 1-0 against Preston were our only wins in any competition between the end of August and the middle of February. 29 games with two wins. Horrendous. Smith survived but Flynn wouldn’t survive if we did that this season.

1 Like

Nobody his really asking for him to be sacked, just asking questions of Flynn. Doesn’t really matter how we lose you get the same amount of points if you lose 1.0 or 3.0

1 Like

There was a win on a Tuesday night against Sheff Utd, might have been Feb or March, it was 0-0 at half time and we won 3-2 with a late Alex Nicholls winner. So perhaps the two most memorable games that season were against The Bowels and The Blunts from Steel City.

1 Like

Good one, actually think Mantom and Cuvelier came in on loan/permanent around the time and that breathed fresh life into tired old midfield and were the legs Chambers needed to excel at base so that was important step to the improvement over next three seasons.

2 Likes

I think you’re right about Mantom, he scored on his debut in that game, iirc a corner was hit into space near the edge of the box, he ran back to it and lamped the ball home, a clever goal. It looked as though we might be trying something similar last week against Colchester with Maddox but it was a damp squib.

1 Like

Bit of luck? Poor finishing and defensive mistakes are not bad luck.

But if we do want to play that game then, you would also have to argue we are “lucky” to have the 9 points that we do have. 3 of them came at Newport where we didn’t have a single shot on target and 1 point came in the 0-0 at Gillingham after they hit the post late on.

1 Like

Who was trying to think who was Chambers regular midfield partner before those two came in, Taundry or that Peterlin guy who was definition of lower league 1 player in how average he was.

It’s similar to now, very sterile in central midfield with lack of goal threat and Smith saw it wasn’t working and Cuvelier and Mantom provided drive and goals from that area and Chambers looked so much better for it.

Desperately need just one player with those qualities in central midfield area now.

3 Likes

Gnapka played a few games, maybe ten or so, he was the scorer of one of the goals in the Boxing Day game you mentioned. Other than that, Peterlin and Taundry, and I suppose Hurst might have played the odd game in the middle, although I think of him mostly as a wide player. I can’t think of anyone else, although no doubt there was the odd forgettable loan signing.

2 Likes

If your losing 1.0 every week the problems striking.

1 Like

After Cheltenham tonight 3 of the next 4 are at home so in my opinion that’s a good chance to get going again.

1 Like

What manton play at rushall he still reads the game well.

Gnakpa was proper dross but that game is up there with my favourites. What a crap goal to score :rofl:

1 Like

“Great, we’ve snatched a point right at the end” is what I thought. :rofl:

1 Like

Was at the game away at Sheffield Utd when we played them off the park and somehow managed to lose 3-2. Gnapka missed a sitter at 2-1 up. I also remember the game as the best I ever saw Richard Taundry play and the tackle that effectively fooked up Florent Cuvelier’s career

2 Likes