Flynn Hokey Cokey

Monthe has been decent for me not sure why he was dropped actually? Flynn is just throwing shit up the wall and hoping it sticks at the moment.
We can keep going on about injured players but only Wilkinson would make much of a difference to this side Joe Riley scored 3 goals from midfield last season so history suggests he won’t make a big difference to our attacking play.

2 Likes

That’s not a ‘larger point’, just deflection from the points made.

Anyway, no one is insisting he play, people are just defending his inclusion. I’ve said previously that if we found a better system and it improved us, Kinsella falling out of the team is fine.

What’s the system?

2 Likes

Heard that mentioned a few times on here and elsewhere. Worrying when a manager gets to that stage.

3 Likes

He needs to quit to menu and retry from a previous save.

4 Likes

Kins never really played much at CM under DS. I know he was younger back then but think it’s pretty telling.

He tended to pop up more at RM as remember him scoring a good goal v Burton from coming in wide in the box. Certainly wasn’t playing central midfield under Whitney either given Chambers-Edwards was always the starting duo in 16/17 and then Dobson was added as competition.

Since 2018 a regular starter at CM. I certainly respect his loyalty but kind of feels like he should’ve moved on by now if the rumours that decent league 1 clubs were putting out feelers not so long ago were true. Is he OOC end of the season?

No one can ever knock Kinsella for effort, and as a fan it is hard to say anything bad about him as that’s what you want in the shirt, but he is so one dimensional and very limited in every other aspect of the game.

To me he’s that moment player. A few times a game he’ll make that block or that tackle you remember but is never part of a midfield that can actually control a game. The moments aside he’s not got a lot to offer but then neither have many of them.

A massive part of me wants him in there as I know he’ll give everything for my team. Just feels like change is needed though.

6 Likes

Given he’s been a mainstay for last four seasons now you have to ask the question…is he as effective in final third as guys like Mantom and Edwards were at their best, a big fat no to that certainly.

And he’s miles off Chambers who for a couple of seasons gave a masterclass at DM.

These guys were all doing it a division higher aswell.

Hasn’t helped though by Labadie and now seemingly Comley being total s*** at their own jobs despite having solid reputations at previous clubs so once more the central midfield area has little goal threat and caves in when under sustained pressure.

However would imagine he’s the sort to train very well indeed so he’ll always be popular with incoming managers who largely prefer players who won’t rock the boat or constantly question them.

I wouldn’t offer him a new deal tbh unless he’s desperate for testimonial if that’s still an option. I’m sure all of Burton/Cheltenham/Sloppies would all be interested in him if he wants to remain local. Solihull would probably pay him a similar wage also.

Most of the strikers and midfielders he’s signed are poor and certainly no better than what we had last season

2 Likes

Never been part of a side that’s not utter shite either has he? Takes half the flak for the rest of them.

The arguments are plain as day and I get them but when we finally sign some better players he will be dropped simple. He still starts now because he’s better than Comley, for example. We’ve got 9 million midfielders to choose from and he still picks him. I don’t for one minute think he gets picked because fans like him.

Don’t hate the player hate the fact we’re shite and continually sign players worse than him.

If Flynns still here he will replace him with Labadie/Riley when fit anyway. I have no doubt about that.

3 Likes

Kinsella does what he’s always done no more no less, he is there to break up play and lay it off to a team mate, maybe if we had a ball playing midfielder next to him he wouldn’t receive the criticism he does, I haven’t seen a midfield as poor as the one we have at the moment, the defence don’t trust them and that’s why they bypass them with the long balls

I personally think the only reason Kinsella’s getting pelters is because the rest of team aint doing there jobs. I agree he aint been at his best this season but that can be said for 95% of the squad.

4 Likes

I agree pal.

Knowles has a bag of potential but is currently worse than Osadebe.

Rodney in exchange for Williams is a poor switch - especially if like yesterday we play channel balls rather than getting it wide and crossed.

Kiernan, Perry and Shade are better than Abraham, Cashman and Taylor.

The only switch that you could argue is better is the loan of Johnson versus the loan of Miller. That said, Miller was far busier and quicker and therefore offered us far more outside of the box.

He has undoubtedly weakened us at the top of the pitch. I know we’ve missed out on targets and have injuries but that’s normal - especially at our place.

5 Likes

Who would we get if we got rid of Flynn? We got rid of Clarke and look what has happened since with him and us.

Exactly this and seems a few on here can’t accept this view.

We have tried things this season and been equally as poor, take the game against West Ham kids. Neither Kinsella or Comley started and we got turned over, same against Charlton .

There’s is absolutely no argument to suggest that dropping either makes us a better team. Like you say the answer might be Riley if he can get fit, or maybe another transfer window.

1 Like

Not sure there is any point getting rid of Flynn, although he may walk.

The question I have is if we don’t get a win in the next three games. Wtf do we do.

Flynn has the look of resignation about him right now. He looks lost and although he goes through the motions of appearing at press conferences and clapping the fans, he is wincing and restless.

I know that freak injuries are not his fault, but the budget has not been spent wisely.

We are on the doorstep of half a dozen Midlands clubs higher up the pyramid but how many have come to us? We may have put the feelers out, but it’s not ideal.

Hasselbank lives locally, has an air of confidence about him and got a tune out of Burton immediately (was it sourpuss Sharps he replaced?)

We need a change of voice - I want it to work for Flynn, but like Southgate, I fear that he is, metaphorically speaking of course, ‘a dead man walking’.

Both have the hangman’s stare right now (like most Walsall fans too, I should imagine, right now!)

And by the way, before anyone suggests that Hasselbank is awful, I recall suggesting Steve Evans before Flynn was appointed and was roundly (if you can pardon the pun) mocked.

Maybe Stevenage are a more attractive draw for players and managers right now…

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to be positive this morning and to also think about how the injured contingent will improve us (or not).

Wilkinson walks into the team - and we look a lot more dangerous and mobile with him and DJ up top.

Labadie has historically been a better and more effective player than Kinsella and Comley (harsh but bitter pill to swallow given last season - maybe Flynn knows how to get the best out of him?)

Riley walks into the team

Gordon walks into the team.

That’s nearly half of the outfield players already. McEntee has decent pedigree, whilst Maddox and Earing aren’t match sharp yet I’d argue (Earing because he inexplicably hasn’t played much).

I am convinced we have the players (even now) to do better than this - I think Flynn’s problem had been trying to find a consistent formula given these injuries which has totally destabilised his plans I think - especially the Riley and Gordon ones.

3 Likes

I’m presuming everyone proclaiming Riley as the answer to all prayers has seen him play more than the 60 mins in a pre season friendly than I have?

Yep, I have. He’s undoubtedly better than the present midfielders.

Where and how much have you seen?