Forest Green Rovers (H) - Sat 10th April, 3pm

Our 40th League Two game of the season sees us hosting Forest Green Rovers. In yesteryear this was a fixture you would never imagine being played, but here we are in the present world with the visitors flying high, 6th in League Two with 62 points from 39 games, which has them in the play-off positions heading into the end of season run-in.

Interestingly, FGR have conceded 44 goals this season, with The Saddlers having only conceded two more at 46! That said, we have scored just 39 goals in our 39 games* compared with FGR’s return of **50 goals in their 39 games **.

Current form players for the visitors include Kane Wilson (remember him?), Dom Bernard, Aaron Collins, and Lewis Thomas, all of whom are up for selection for their March Player of the Month award.

FGR’s last six fixtures have been:

13th March - Harrogate Town (h) - Won 2-1
20th March - Cambridge United (a) - Lost 1-0
23rd March - Mansfield Town (a) - Drew 0-0
27th March - Bolton Wanderers (h) - Lost 1-0
2nd April - Bradford City (a) - Lost 4-1
5th April - Salford City (h) - Lost 2-0

It seems as though they are faltering at the moment, so perhaps this is the game we finally get a win under the tutelage of Brian Dutton, you never know. Having scored 2 goals in their last 6 games, on paper this is nailed on to be boring and finish 0-0.

What I’d give to see some goals!

Onto the Walsall* team selection - Jack Rose came in on Saturday and kept a clean sheet, and i expect him to carry on deputising for Liam Roberts who is still carrying a slight knock.

Liam Kinsella - where will he play? RB or CM?

Caolan Lavery will be missing with injury - who replaces him?

Let us know your thoughts about lineup and score!

@TheBostedSlab can give you a list of linked players between the clubs, I’ve already started you off with Kane Wilson

7 games to go before we can consign this season to the deepest, darkest holes of forgotten-ness. Hopefully :pray:

Who’s tuning in?

Walsall vs Forest Green Rovers - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • FGR Win

0 voters

2 Likes

They’ve scored once in the last 5, we’ve scored twice.
Dutton will be creaming himself.

1 Like

No idea why… I think this could be the time . 1-0 to the saddlers with a scuffed Gordon shot that creeps in . Then we hang on for dear life.

I think we might just edge this one 0-0.

6 Likes

Yes time for us to win…2-0 will do :wink:

1 Like

In the words of Ian Brown “This is the one”
4-2 Saddlers, lump on.

6 Likes

How can anyone seriously expect a result that isn’t 0-0???

2 Likes

Admire your optimism Wiltshiresaddler predicting a resurrection. Either way I can’t see Brian ever being adored.

2 Likes

Considering how ■■■■ we are, plenty going for a home win.

I’ll join them. 2-1
Wright and Lavs

Preview done

2 Likes

Is out injured. Good luck :crossed_fingers:

Ah
Rose then :joy:

1 Like

Similar chance of it happening.

2 Likes

I’m going for a vegan win , I clicked the wrong button ,I remember them playing us earlier in the season and they played us off the park ,Can’t see it being an different this time round.

FGR away was possibly our worst performance this season but we used up all our luck and scrambled a draw. We might easily have conceded 6 goals. But, this league has little consistency and we can win.

Given our relative league positions, I wonder if Dutton will revert to a back 5 for this game. I really hope not because 442 means a more open game and we have looked better when we play that. So I would stick with the team played on Monday with Osei in for Lavery. Time to give him a chance. Wright is not a front 2 player - he is a runner not someone who can hold up the ball.

The other change to contemplate is whether Holden is fit enough to start. I’d like to see him and Osadebe buzzing around but I guess it would have to be at the expense of Perry, which would be a pity.

A final point in terms of keepers: if Roberts had played as Rose did against Orient, everyone would have been on his back.

Vegan win brain to still be dreaming of his first win playing real men

1 Like

Is it a coincidence our defensive form has improved with Scarr and Norman not playing, whilst Clarke has come back in?

I would say not. I’ve been saying for ages that Scarr is pap and Norman can’t defend. Seems to be evidenced by recent form…

2 Likes

If Lavery is injured I’d stick Oss up front and Holden in. Anything but Derick.

1 Like

Gutted that the focal point of our attack is out.

Why not? about time we gave these work experience kids a chance.
I’m told he once played for France’s under 12’s international team, then forgot how to play football!
Bet Oxford are creaming themselves that they don’t have to keep another work experience kid busy. What was Clarke thinking!
(apart from I’m off anyway, so bugga it).
Another 0-0 draw, it’s about time we scraped a draw, this constant winning gets boring after a bit.

1 Like