Former players - where are they now?

I would put it more National League / League 2 standard myself

1 Like

It’s definitely not. SPL isn’t a great standard, but at least they can give Rangers and Celtic a game. Most of our league, below say 2nd are woeful. Port Vale looked like making play offs easily at one stage and they are a dreadful football team. Bristol Rovers are top 4, they were awful at our place.

1 Like

I had this memory pop up on facebook today…a goal from Tom Bradshaw…and for some reason it has put the description up in German!

https://www.facebook.com/SkySports/videos/10154150269528762

1 Like

Is it that 22 teams are all woeful or that they are just inconsistent, hence the division they are playing in, and can have good days but also a lot of off days? Chelsea have put in some poor performances in the premier league this season but i wouldnt say they are woeful, just have a ‘bad day at the office’ which most do. I remember seeing fulham play on the telebox earlier this season (think it may have been fa cup) and they didn’t look too good but have proved to be a great team this season in winning the championship.

1 Like

Hmm I don’t think the standard in this league could be described as inconsistent to be honest. Its more a surprise when a team shows up and actually looks cohesive. That’s why it’s so disappointing that we are one of the most bang average teams in a league of poor talent. I’ve been to most home games this season and a few away, and I can count on one hand the amount of performances I was genuinely impressed by.

But is that because you go to a game with an expectation maybe tainted by what you see of football in higher divisions? But you are right in that there havent been great performances that often and some of the misplaced passing, poor control and inaccurate shooting does make you put your face in your hands!!

I don’t watch any Scottish football so I have no idea what the standard is but I always assumed it was pretty awful.

This Walsall side though, I can’t remember one that is so collectively poor at the basic arts of controlling a football and passing to a player in the same colour shirt. It really has been horrible to watch this season.

1 Like

Forgot Edwards from that list. Guy regular in team who got 80 points at league 1 level so obviously back to his best now.

The injury was a factor but pretty sure he came back and needed time to get back his level and was then left on the bench for Keates last 5-6 games. Then O’Connor put him back in and you had a 3-0 win over Peterborough.

Keates was just out of his depth as a manager at league 1 level. Nice idea but early on you could see signs it wasn’t going to work. The Fitzwater loan fiasco mid season summed things up.

1 Like

Its wank mate dont bother lol

2 Likes

Think it’s to do with UTS server location and host language…

1 Like

Alfie Bates has gone from being a starter with SJK in the Finnish Premiership to an unused sub in the last couple of games. SJK are second from bottom and lost their last 4.

I wouldn’t say that. I watch much more League One/Two level football, and have throughout my life, than I do top level.

To be fair to Keates on Edwards he was recovering from a horrific injury for most of that period, but yes, would have been a good player to keep after he was for. Indeed, promoted with Plymouth.

Rangers and Celtic are nothing special! Lol

1 Like

Rangers that are in a Europa League Semi on Thursday? Lol not many teams at our level could do that. I’m fact I’d go zero.

Besides, I’m not claiming Rangers, Celtic or anyone else in that league is “special” I’m claiming they’re better than “league two to non league” standard. Based on what I’ve seen this season that’s a crazy statement.

3 or our back line that got us relegated to L2 - Devlin, Guthrie, Fitzwater - ended up at midtable Scottish prem Livingston and formed 3/4 of their back line. Andy Halliday who did fa with us was a regular at Hearts. Just saying …

1 Like

We all know you take 2 teams out of the SPL… the rest is dross!

1 Like

We have had good players from the Scottish leagues, Forbes? Dornan?

35 years ago, Scots football is not what it was. Look at the national team’s performance.

1 Like

People have added Edwards, Bakayoko and Fitzwater to that list as well.

Yep. Quite a lot of players from that squad have gone on to be better than our level. Not sure I’d put it all down to playing in Scotland.