Former players - where are they now?

Whereas this league and non league is world class :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I’d agree with that. I’d put the SPL, bar Celtic and Rangers as top-end League 1. With our crowd size and turnover we’d potentially be top five in the SPL, but not with current squad, or the last few years.

1 Like

Rangers and celtic are top championship lower prem level at best the rest are league one and two standard which is why they walk it every year

1 Like

I haven’t said that have I. I’m comparing the SPL to divisions in England albeit apart from Rangers and Celtic who pee it every season. Always makes me laugh when league 1 and 2 clubs release players because they have been useless yet they go on to be a big success in the SPL.

1 Like

No I did, sarcastically.

But they don’t go on to have “big successes” though do they? You’ve just said Rangers and Celtic Piss it every year, not many examples of Ex-League Two players in their squads. Certainly not ones who were shit at our level anyway. I’m going off watching both standards of football.

When was Conor Goldson at the Shrews? League one or two? I honestly can’t remember. Very surprised at how well he has done at Rangers since then, to be honest.

1 Like

1 Season as a senior in League Two, 3 in League 1, a year in the Champ, Didn’t play much the following year, then sold to Rangers when Brighton got promoted to the Prem.

1 Like

No because Celtic and Rangers wouldn’t Pee it if they were picking up the rejects like the other clubs in the SPL do

If those “rejects” hadn’t gone on to be better in the English football pyramid as well as the Scottish one, you might have a point. Believe we offered deals to some of those rejects that were turned down. Devlin, Fitzwater, Scarr at least. And Cook, if you count him but I was just talking more about his goal tally in League One.

I’m not just talking about Walsall I’m generalising

St Mirren have submitted a bid to Newport for Cameron Norman apparently - another one that will likely thrive in the SPL.

1 Like

That Tavernier guy for Rangers seems to score 20 + a season for them. Pretty sure he was at Wigan and didn’t do much.

Rangers and Celtic were miles stronger in the 90s when you look at quality of player that played there and then went on to do well in prem…Gazza, Brian Laudrup, Henrik Larsson, Gio Van Bronkhurst, Stan Petrov and Celtic also got in likes of John Hartson and Chris Sutton. Even a decade ago Celtic had Victor Wanyama and Van Dijk playing for them.

Looked at the Old Firm game at weekend and didn’t recognise anyone in Celtic team bar Joe Hart.

2 Likes

The 3 Japanese guys they’ve got are shit hot.
Also if they and Rangers were in the premier league with extra tv money and their crowds they’d be a real force. Celtic more so as they’re not prone to overspending, and are pretty much guaranteed 60k crowds at Parkhead.

1 Like

Yeah, with their fanbases and crowds they’d eventually be top 4-6 material. Aberdeen, Hearts, and Hibs perhaps low end Prem/top end Champ.

The rest, however, would be L1 at best.

He’s also on £35k a week at Rangers too. Madness

1 Like

He was only 22/23 at that point and already had 50 League One Apps …

Jason McCarthy (wasn’t really ours but wore the shirt!) on TV at the moment in the L1 play off SF for Wycombe against the Dongs

1 Like

Anyone else watching the Paul Merson thing on BBC2 now?

You would hope so, otherwise it would be a waste of a lot of peoples time and money.