Former players - where are they now?

In 99-00, 01-02 and 02-03 we averaged just under 7,000, which would have included large followings from teams like Wolves, WBA, Blues, Ipswich, Forest, Sheff Utd.
In 03-04, the Merson effect, plus a couple of big crowds in our final two games, pushed the average up to 7,853, with a bit of help from West Ham and Sunderland who had joined us.
Could we beat that now? I think, if, to fantasise wildly for a moment, we were to get promoted twice in the next four years or so, with the attendant momentum, we could get above 8,000. There would still be plenty of big clubs at Championship level to swell the crowds, and our support has been good of late even though we have had little to cheer…
I’m not entirely convinced we will be putting it to the test though. :slightly_smiling_face: Still, an interesting hypothetical.

1 Like

Ash. Taylor sent off after 10 minutes

Gordon would be great alongside Johnson doing the dirty work and scoring goals . We miss him

1 Like

Wes scored for 'Pool again.

Tomlin scores Aswell
Crazy how he leaves walsall and he bosses the league
Holden suddenly gets fit
Gordon gets loved at barrow
Leahy is one of the best left backs in the league
Rodney finds out how to hit the goal
Crazy

2 Likes

And Andy Cook is rubbing our noses in it yet again

2 Likes

Do these last two posts not somehow prove that the atmosphere down at the Bescot is somehow toxic? supposedly crud players, hounded by frustrated supporters, leave the club and become almost world beaters playing for their new team. Something ain’t right!

2 Likes

Well I’ve read it all now :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Hounded ? Really?

Tomlin and Rodney barely played.
Holden had many pinning their hopes on him recovering back to his pre-injury form.
Gordon I thought was well liked, more for his effort than actual finishing.
Leahy, ok had an attitude but I don’t remember him being hounded at all.

Scoring a few for Barrow, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury, Donacster or Rochdale hardly makes any of them world beaters.

2 Likes

They ALL play better for their new clubs than they did for Walsall, can folk not open their eyes? Do you really suggest specially following todays 14th placement with another defeat on Saturday looming, that our current players are happy, with a miserable faced manager telling them all they are not good enough?

No, I hope they are unhappy, and that they are determined to do something about it and improve on that 14th place.

Disagree with how Flynn said it publicly, but to a point he is right. The players we/he has, do need to step up and improve, particularly on their concentration (after letting in 2 goals in 5 mins twice in a week) and on their finishing.

1 Like

I’ve not even had a drink and I think I’m imagining things. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Did F**k all today apart from score that goal! That’s his job though…

1 Like

Enough said …

Did I miss the bit where Jon Whitney went to Villa as physio

Just seen him on the pitch against Man City.

U23 fitness coach, I think.

That is what changing clubs sometimes does for a player, the same as when players have left other clubs and joined us and done well!

Gordon did the square route of feck all in his last season at Walsall, didn’t do much last season at Barrow either. Pleased for him that this season is going well but really puzzled by the revisionist bullshit that’s now cropping up on here.

4 Likes

Been there about 2 years or so.

It shows he is good at his work. Sadly, he hasn’t been replaced more properly. Or rather his quality hasn’t been.