Former players - where are they now?

When you were waiting at Rushall I was waiting at Shelfield. They were about 10 minutes later there. I liked the Argus better because it carried slightly later news of the matches.

6 Likes

I thought there was a shop of some kind there, but I never went in it.
If you haven’t been for a few years you would have a shock going up the Dawley Road, there are thousands and thousands of houses around Lawley.

To almost get back on topic before we get moaned at, Alfie Carter scored the first ever goal for the newly formed AFC Telford.
And Johnny Hancocks played for and managed them when they were Wellington Town. And Nick Atthey skippered them when they were Telford United. That should be good enough.

1 Like

I think the Argus was first to have a players’ column. Tony Macken did it for years.

4 Likes

I remember my dad and my grandad coming back from fellows park after I’d been listening to the game on what I think was WM? I’m sure it had the goal horn even back then I may be wrong and he always asked me to pop up to the shop on Dudley Fields to get it for him,because back then it was super early and up to date on the events of that very same afternoon.I think you had to pay tax on betting back then too was it 7p in the pound? Only saying that because he use to check his bets on teletext :laughing:

Was he followed by Don Penn who had a column called “Penn on Paper”? That may have been in Sporting Star, I used to buy each paper every week. I seem remember that he suddenly announced in one column that his career was at an end because he could not recover fully from an injury, aged only 23 and still scoring regularly.

3 Likes

The Sporting Star usually had a very short (or no) report on the 2nd half because of printing deadlines. Even if there was one, you often had to hunt for it as they’d put it wherever there was room on the racing or angling pages.

2 Likes

No problem.
There was still the usual Express and Star newspaper on a Saturday and there were the two ‘pink’ sports papers, the Sports Argus and the Sporting Star, associated with the Birmingham Post and Mail and the Express and Star.
I was always an Argus fan myself and they always used to sell out quicker than the Sporting Star at our newsagent.

3 Likes

But they were ghostwritten.

Never!

Thanks for that I can’t believe it was first out in February 1897! Wow it had an exceptional stint and as the article says with the dawn of internet and social media we witnessed the death of the old pink.I have to say I find it very sad,but times move on I guess.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that. It’s a pity they could not have found one Walsall headline, say when we beat Stoke in the Cup.

1 Like

Surly the Argus in this area was a bluey green colour ?

1 Like

Nope, both it and the Star were pink - unless by “in this area” you mean somewhere else other than the west midlands?

1 Like

I preferred the Argus as well. They had both a MoM before it was the norm and a form rating for the match ,from outstanding to abysmal.

1 Like

In the 50s I used to pick up the footy papers for my Dad.
I would put money on it that one of them was a blue green colour ( and it wasn’t the star)

The link that @mel58 posted above confirms that the Argus was pink - and, if you Google, you can find images of the pink Star too.

Maybe they were a different colour at some point in the past? As I’ve said, in South Yorkshire theirs was green (aka “the green 'un”).

1 Like

Perhaps, I am going back to the 50s but at that time it was this strange colour.

I remember a paper like that too…I think it pre dated the Argus and was a daughter paper of the Evening Mail if I remember correctly. Others with clearer memories might be able to add to that.

Glad you remember it. I think you are correct in saying it was a Birmingham Mail paper.
It was full sized and bigger than the Star.

From Wikipedia, about UK Saturday sports papers