Former players - where are they now?

Agree on the size and colour. I just cannot recall when it disappeared.

Bobby Ghould’s was.

4 Likes

Argus was Blue and Star Pink (the one issued after the matches to newsagents around 6 o’clock on a Saturday). Most people in my area of Walsall the Fullbrook had the Pink Star from Jones on Broadway West. I was a paper kid back then in the early 60’s but we never delivered the Sports Argus or the Pink Star’s.

1 Like

Sports Argus was pink, and available in central Walsall from about 6pm, and as for any Walsall match making the headlines you can take it from me that it did happen. On the day we put seven goals past either Brentford or Millwall (7-0 and 7-1 in the same season, 1961) the Argus had their headline as:-

THE WALSALL CONCERTO

1 Like

I think we got proprtionately better coverage in the Argus compared to how the Star covered us in relation to their Wolves coverage.

2 Likes

Well that’s all very well but, what colour was it . :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Both were pink.

We forget in these digital days just what a feat it was to get these papers out so soon after the kick-off. Most of the inside pages were ready before the kick-off but, nonetheless, it was impressive.

5 Likes

There used to be a Stop Press on the outside page for the end of the matches at one time. I think as technology improved, it was only late finishes that needed it.

2 Likes

I was at a Walsall away game, where we were held in the ground for a few minutes after the game. On leaving, the local paper was selling their sports paper with our final score, about 10 minutes after the final whistle. Unfortunately I can’t remember where it was.

2 Likes

Some major dyslexia going on. This is not the former papers thread.

2 Likes

The Pink paper (Sports Argus) sadly missed! Few pints in The Bell on the Birmingham Road. Bloke comes in with the Pink Paper, a few more pints. A kebab and a stumble home… happy days

3 Likes

Had lunch in there today. Half price mains and ale at £2.89 a pint. Happy days indeed :smiley:

3 Likes

When I was very, very young, Mum and Dad, twice a year, used to take me into Brum shopping: in the summer for holiday clothes; and in the winter for Xmas pressies.
What I didn’t understand was what all of these smart blokes, with bowler hats, were doing, sat on the train, on their way to work, reading the Sports Argus.

I used to buy both pink papers, especially if we won, that way i could read it twice :grin:

5 Likes

Sports Argus was brilliant, happy memories of my Dad taking me bowling on a Saturday night 20 or so years back to Tamworth strikes alley (never saw Big Fat Jan there…) and stopping on the way around six at local paper shop and without fail it would always be fresh on the counter.

Trying to remember which players used to have columns in the Walsall section…Paul Ritchie certainly and perhaps Wrack and Emblem in the seasons they were there?

Last edition was 2006 cup final so it went quite a few years before the smartphone age became the norm.

2 Likes

Used to be a queue for the Argus outside the local newsagents it used to turn up about five past six when the driver dropped them off . If there was an over run game it would just have L-L for the score

5 Likes

Late scorer was a good striker in those days

2 Likes

They used to deliver both to my local off-licence as the shop had shut by then
Still have a photo of our school team from 50 years ago from the inside back page of the Sporting Star

4 Likes

The pink used to get sold in the pub. Then the bloke would change his jacket and become Supercockle, selling shellfish on little trays. S&V optional.

6 Likes

Used to like the punk(star) and probably the only paper I’d still buy if it was around. Read our report as soon as you got it then the rest over sunday breakfast.

Occasionally you would get the score misreported in the article because the report had been under pressure to submit and there had been a late goal in extra time.

Also you could tell the national papers bought the syndicated report to do their 1 inch report on us and just reworded it slightly or just wrote it after reading the pink and didn’t actually have a reporter their. This was because you’d get a mistake in the pink like the wrong scorer and exactly the same mistake would be in the report in all the nationals.

2 Likes