Fryatt Hotel Watch - 2021 Summer Transfer Rumours

I’d take Maynard all day think Cook will go to Bradford

To be fair that was just league appearances:

Walsall 18 goals in 106 Appearances (3 of those were indeed in the checkatrade against Grimsby Town)
Cov 13 goals in 85

Maynard would want both Gordon and Lavery’s wages combined and then some.

Cook would of going to Bradford I reckon, but now there also looking for a new manager so that may of changed things.

1 Like

Ryan Sweeney ex Mansfield would be a decent signing in my opinion

1 Like

I’d push the boat out and try and get our Jamille Matt or Scott Quiqley

2 Likes

Quigley would require north of £500k for Barrow to part with him, no chance.

Jamile Matt scored 16 goals for FGR, is 31 and would cost about the same as Quigley for them to part with them, along with him then wanting a payrise.

No chance for either of them.

1 Like

He brought in ex-Spur Jimmy Robertson as well, and without his speed he was fairly poor. Wood couldn’t score and was slow, Newton was unfit, Robertson was slow, so three poor signings there.
What was his relationship with Wood? I was wondering where they crossed paths, I only remember him at Salop and Millwall, although he’d been at City as a young lad.

Keiran Agard has been released by MK Dons, would love to see him knocking them in for us!

2 Likes

You’re right. I’m not sure Wood and Mackay had a direct connection. I was basing it on the other two," key" signings. Henry Newton had an arthritic hip , and probably should have retired. His justification for continuing was that he was in the same pain whether he played football or not.Not really convincing. Walsall took some abuse for terminating his contract, but Mackay said the agreement was always that this was what would happen if his illness became too much.

1 Like

Proves what DC knew about football.
Released Edwards and replaced him with Liddell and Sinclair

3 Likes

It was horrible to watch Newton. I remembered him as a classy player with Everton and Derby, and to see him struggle so badly for us was obviously disappointing from a supporter point of view, but also on a human level.

Mackay also signed a couple of his old boys, Tony Macken and Jeff King. I expect 100% of Walsall fans would say Macken was a fantastic signing, top quality full back he was.

1 Like

Tony Macken is still one of my all time favourite Walsall players. Great defensively, but, with the best will in the world , not so good when he reached the other side of the halfway line. I think he was part of the deal that took Brian Taylor to Derby. Taylor was a better attacking option, but probably wasn’t as good as Macken defensively.

Taylor went to Plymouth or Preston, I forget which one he played for first. Would have been good to see them both in the same team, Macken at full back, Taylor on the right wing, I don’t think we’d have conceded many goals down that side.
We had some great full backs in the 70s, and Taylor, Harrison and Caswell were all more than capable of playing other positions too.

Plymouth. You’re right again. I didn’t realise Brian had died in 1993.

1 Like

Good shout that be a great signing for a league 2 club

1 Like

Macken was the best right back I ever seen playing for us, he would walk in to my best ever Walsall team.
He wasn’t the best over the half way line but he was an excellent defender.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I wasn’t actually saying to get them back as would be bonkers for Edwards to give up mid table league 1…just similar standard players will be available from league 1 or upper end league 2 teams so if club is serious it needs to add 2-3 of those and then we’re onto something at this level.

1 Like

I had to look him up again but does anyone remember a forward called Duckens Nazon? He was at Wolves and ripped us to shreds when on loan at Oldham in Keates’s first season.

Still only 27 and without a club. Not sure where he’s currently based (so Covid-19 might still be an issue…)
Stats of around 50 goals in 150 games.
Worth a sniff, surely?

2 Likes

Stuart Sinclair being linked with Orient rumours there end they are interested in him.

1 Like