Fryatt Hotel Watch - 2021 Summer Transfer Rumours

I am quite relaxed about the radio silence on signings. I have no doubt that Taylor, Fullarton and co. have been spending a lot of time identifying whom they want and in the midst of negotiations with some that aren’t too far off getting over the line.

In recent seasons we have been rather taken in by, or perhaps “excited” by news of new recruits but end up looking back and thinking that was all a bit “meh”. There was a day, either last summer or the year before under Clarke, when 3 were announced on one day. The “incoming…” messages from the club’s social media accounts felt as though it was satisfying a demand for tangible action - rather than a more considered methodology which takes time to get the right players in place.

I would much prefer our recruitment strategy to be guided by quality over quantity. 5 or 6 good quality permanent signings, embellished with a couple of loanees of young talent from the top 2 flights, to me would be a better approach to recruiting a smorgasbord of 10+ average signings to keep the news items ticking over.

6 Likes

I dunno mate, you’d of been the only one on here sticking up for him lol.

1 Like

I thought Scarr was decent enough at this level, especially his defensive heading ability.
Plymouth was a good move for him and I wish him well.

I said before on previous posts that we are going for more quality this season which takes more time to find. LP desperately wants to avoid us getting into panic buying (last minute deals to make up the numbers) that we’ve been guilty of in the past.
Matt has to put his sales hat on and sell these quality players on Walsall FC. Some of them maybe dropping a division or two lower than their comfort zone. The question then becomes, does our management team have the ability to close the deal?
Matt is will be the most important person in persuading a player to come here because of his name in football. He was a great player and I think he can capture some decent talent here.

2 Likes

We are very close to sign a 22 year old midfielder source is a strong one Jack Earing from Fc Halifax town. He’s out of contract. Could be signed by the morning

4 Likes

Great news Scarr has left the building, cannot believe he bagged a contract in a division higher, Plymouth must be desperate they obviously didn’t scout him!! Football must be the only industry where you get promoted for being a bag of poo!! The worst CB I have seen in a long time, I’m still laughing😄

3 Likes

tbh I know scarr had the odd mistake in him but at this level he was good. I don’t think any cb in league 2 had better heading ability compared to scarr but being a Cb is not about just heading the ball. He can carry on well get sme1 better

3 Likes

delighted to hear about Scarr finding another club, was dreading next season having to watch a so called professional footballer struggle to control and pass a football, or just hoofing it out for a throw in down the channel. Easily find better if we’re planning to playing the ball more on the deck.

2 Likes

I’d welcome him now
https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/sport/football/fc-halifax-town-jacks-been-made-an-offer-wild-hopeful-over-midfielder-earings-future-3265558

1 Like

8 goals last season from central midfield, something we lacked last season was a goal scoring midfielder.

I’m intrigued.

2 Likes

As much as we do lack a goal scoring midfielder, it would be a very Walsall thing to do - having no defenders, wingers or strikers and our first signing being in the only outfield position that we have a lot of players in.

4 Likes

All speculation but makes me wonder, as was the case when Osadebe signed a new contract, if Holden will still be here in August.

1 Like

But 1nce he’s here we will now have 3 CAM… Rory, Osadebe, Earing.
Im happy wiv this signing I know it’s Jf’s signing is MT gonna be happy wiv that?

1 Like

Means we’d have a very young midfield aswell with Kinsella being the most experienced :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’d be very happy with having this midfielder alongside perry with kinsella at rb .
Getting some goals in midfield could be key and perry/Bates/kins as cm ain’t gonna get many
I also think kins best position is rb and I’d be happy to have him start there next season

1 Like

It’s always been a bit dangerous to me signing players from lower leagues,generally they are there for a reason apart from the odd special player so if we sign loads of players from that level we may end up there one day and I did say if.

1 Like

Manny Monthe available big lad looked solid when we played Tranmere

1 Like

I remember when Fullarton got the job here & reading a Halifax fan being less than complimentary about him, he went on to add the only decent thing he done at Halifax was bring Jack Earing to the club … so it may have legs :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

sounds decent be happy with him

Manny Monthe also

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about this as they aren’t back in training yet. As long as we have a few through the door for the beginning of pre season then I’m totally fine with it. I’d rather a bit more planning than just signing anyone for the sake of looking busy.

1 Like