Fryatt Hotel Watch - 2021 Summer Transfer Rumours

1 day before the season starts!!

3 Likes

Monthe on his way to Barrow so I’m told.

Would rather look at Dane Scarlett than Kaziah Sterling, 17 goals in 16 PL2 games last season.

2 Likes

We can only afford to take 2 or 3 unproven squad players. We need 4 experienced defenders + 2 proven strikers supplemented by 2 or 3 squad players with potential. We certainly don’t need inexperienced midfielders - we have 6 of them already.

1 Like

@Bags10 is Dane Scarlett related to Dan Scarr? It’s like when we signed Jamey Hardy (a poor man’s Jamie Vardy) and were linked to someone else that sounded like a premier league striker (Barry Payne, or something like that)… :grinning:

The reason really is due to them being regulars in the relegation run in.

And also the club have always been good at getting in good CBs down the years. I mean I’ve been going regularly since 2006 and Dann (obviously), Gerrard, Butler, Downing and O’Connor all miles better than Guthrie and Scarr given all those were proven at league one level and pretty much all of them played in championship at some point.

If Guthrie or Scarr ever get close to becoming excellent league 1 CBs (Guthrie got relegated with Crewe btw) then fair enough but I doubt it will happen given both are mid 20s now.

2 Likes

Well said. It’s for those exact reasons or examples rather that the likes of Guthrie and especially scarr should never be seen again.

1 Like

Don’t mind him as development signing but then James Hardy had similar profile when signed two summers ago and it never really happened despite some promising opening games and he quickly fizzled out and went back to non league.

Think what would settle things if signing 2-3 experienced league 2 players or higher level such as Aimison as Vale are doing and then you add more young punts like Earing as the summer goes on so you have a decent mix.

3 Likes

I’ve been regular since 1966 ,! I’m not quite sure you appreciate the level of the SPL , it is pardon the pun " a completely different level" to the place we find ourselves.
Just because a player has a relegation on his CV doesn’t make him a bad player , it is a squad game after all .

1 Like

There must be about 50 CBs you rate about those two then given your length of service to watching Walsall, I mean as said above I’ve been going 15 years and can comfortably name 10 CBs better than Scarr and Guthrie.

Just checked btw and Andrew Barrowman scored v Celtic in SPL in 10/11 so case closed m’lud. :wink:

Yes you are probably correct there have been many better CHs than Scarr and a few worse ! Point being he was one of the main scapegoats which I feel is unfair , always seemed to be giving his all and play to his limited capabilities , which is the problem Scarr and a few other players actually became worse because instead of being told to concentrate on what they could do well they were constantly messed about especially by Clarke.Good managers get the best out of players by recognising their strengths and playing to them .
Don’t get the Barrowman comparison sorry .

1 Like

I dunno, centre back was probably the only position (other than goalkeeper) that actually knew their job under DC which was to just keep the ball out of the net, of which he struggled massively.

The thought of Scarr trying to be told to pass it out quickly worried me, no doubt he’d have passed it straight to the opposition forward after not mastering the art of looking up before picking out a pass and instead kicking it aimlessly into the centre of the pitch.

We’ll be better without him, now let’s get defenders in that are comfortable passing it out from the back quickly AND can defend.

2 Likes

We are now going end up with Benny Sheringham and Allan Sharer up front.

2 Likes

Sauce?

1 Like

Tomato please.

Ryan Delaney most likely. As for the rest of the suggestions. Lay off the crack pipe liam. Struth.

Signing incoming!

https://twitter.com/wfcofficial/status/1403348794788417542?s=21