George Miller

Why has he had such a poor career up until now?

Without wishing to burst bubbles, he probably hasnā€™t played against three centre backs as awful as Mansfieldā€™s before.

Took the ā€œcan we play you every weekā€ to a new level.

3 Likes

I checked the guy I think Latvian called worst CB heā€™d ever seen. Was at Chelsea, loaned to Burton last season and played 25 games for in the end mid table league 1 team. Then Burnley signed him and loaned to Mansfield so perhaps caught him on a bad day.

As for Miller well did well in two spells at Bury but probably just a case of getting moves above his level (to Boro and Barnsley) and then getting loans to clubs like Bradford where he didnā€™t play much or lost his motivation.

As much as no one on here wants to admit it a loan to Walsall would trigger a now or never moment if a player has his head screwed on given the large amount whoā€™ve played here in last decade and then found themselves deep in the non league pyramid a year or two later.

So hopefully the penny has dropped here. 20 goals and side wonā€™t be far away from top 7 at all.

6 Likes

I thought he was like Bradshaw because of the way he was breaking the line. I always thoughts Troy was a bit of bruiser who bullied defenders. Bradshaw was more of a nuisance who was always at you and didnā€™t give you time - Miller was like that today. Anyway, I donā€™t want to pigeonhole him. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing Holden and Wilkinson playing alongside him. We may just have something.

8 Likes

I thought exactly the same. He worked all across their back line and gave none of them a moments rest. He found a weakness and took advantage of it time and again. What was good to see was that his team mates were on the same wavelength and played that ball over the top and into the channel time and time again

4 Likes

Super performance but how the egg have this lot let Meyo out on loan to us with this se CBs? Ran the line superbly and actually gave us an outlet

1 Like

Who needs a target man striker ay? Dunno what all the fuss was about on deadline day :laughing:

1 Like

Great footballing brain light years ahead of anything weā€™ve seen for years.

Liked his interview when he first arrived saying he didnā€™t care what his parent club Barnsley thought about his loan move to us and it was all about him and walsall , did pick up on maybe he wasnā€™t wanted there so could we make an offer to buy him now before the vultures start circling.

4 Likes

10-15 goals before Christmas and heā€™ll be on Salfordā€™s radar.

2 Likes

Heā€™d be gone in the January window under the old regime. Not so sure this year!

What we should be doing is trying to understand what it might take to make him a Walsall player.

We donā€™t need to start implementing that plan yet (our history is littered with one game wonders) but we should be building one.

Might be out of our reach but if he keeps performing and scoring best we ground that rather than let it drift as we may have in the past.

2 Likes

He wasnā€™t too shabby at Bradford last week either, although he only got about an hour (and was feeding off scraps for the portion of the second half he did play). 1 and a bit games and heā€™s already our leading scorer!

Last week you could see he had the ability to do what he did many times yesterday - chase balls over the top into the channel and beat defenders with pace and strength to get on the ball. Which is a good thing as thatā€™s the main tactic we seem to be playing this season rather than high balls direct to a target man to hold up, or wingers putting in high crosses. To me both his goals were similar to Wilkinsonā€™s against Stevenage in that he first wrong footed the CH and then out muscled them to get past and in on goal. Phillips hasnā€™t been as successful in doing that (so far) as the other 2 when he has played as the front of the attacking diamond.

3 Likes

Depends on whether Barnsley put a price.on him relative to his worth to them or his worth to us.

If there is a no recall clause then not much else anyone can do.

Heā€™s out of contract next summer, so we could possibly get him for nothing :smiley:

2 Likes

Hopefully so.

You could feel he had something about him in his interview when he said he didnā€™t really care what Barnsley thought he just sorted it for himself to get games and score goals he looks like a really good striker he was a menace yesterday they didnā€™t get a minutes rest at the back and his two finished were brilliant looks a really good kid who if he works hard and just keeps his head down not too much cocky ness will flourish and with Matt looking after him it seem an absolutely perfect fit I have a feeling the day he has to go back will be a sad one I think heā€™s going to make a real impression on the fans and club I really do.

1 Like

And so could someone else :pensive:

He just didnā€™t like it up him, so to speak. :grin:

Amazed he was was ever at a club like Chelsea to be honest.

1 Like