Has Walsall's decline 'bottomed out'

Double figures in a crap team by the beginning of March though. And he works his socks off. I doubt any team in the Championship would want him but I expect a few in League one and several in League two would see him as interesting.
What we don’t know is what MF feels about him, will he think we can do better, within our budget.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it mentioned the way he took him off not long after he missed that sitter on Saturday. It may already have been his intention to bring Miller off but it just had the feel that he was hauling him off in disgust.

Personally I always feel like our attack is weakened when Miller isn’t on the pitch.

2 Likes

Flynn likes him out of contract soon

1 Like

TBF that is not very often and usually towards the end of the game, possibly when we are trying to bolster the defence. I can forgive him missing the odd chance - mind you there have been a few including the one from 3 yards out - but he does need to get into better positions. On Saturday, he did well to get into a super position for his miss.

1 Like

If miller had scored all he’s sitters he’d by nigh on 20 goals by now and won’t be in this league next year
His movement is better than almost anyone I’ve seen at this level except Dominic Telford
It may be a blessing in disguise that his finishing isn’t better as it’s the only way we’d have a chance of keeping him next year.

2 Likes

The sub was already standing waiting to come on before Miller missed so think it was already planned and not because of the miss.

Maybe he sees what most of us see, he is a player that will run through walls for the team but not a very prolific goalscorer ?

He was clearly disappointed to be subbed…so was I. I like his pressing and his mobility, something that Devante is yet to show us. George is the closest thing that we’ve had to a Bradshaw since he left for that strange club in Yorkshire.
The goals will come.

The debate about Miller is an interesting one. I’m firmly in the pro-Miller signing camp.

People keep mentioning “if we sign someone better”. While that’s possible, its also unlikely as Miller is currently joint fifth leading scorer in this league (league goals) with a better goals per minute ratio than the other 4 he shares 5th place with. The other good things about Miller is that he’s still quite young and could potentially improve further with both the benefit to the team and the re-sale value that would create, and he is already here and unlike so many other players in recent years seems to want to be.

If he goes on to score 15 league goals he will have had a very good season. In the unlikely event he hits a purple patch and scores 20 he will be the first Walsall player to do so for 25 years, something he might be eminently capable of doing playing a full season in a “2” with better supply than he’s had this season.

9 Likes

An interesting stat, given that his team is 16th and has scored relatively few goals. As a League 2 team, we are not able to sign established strikers, so we either have to bring one through - not much sign of that - or work with someone with potential. You may well be right that Miller is as good as we will get and maybe he can be improved.

I think most of us have our view affected by the number of times we saw him upfront alone chasing lost causes, which is not fair on him. Had we played two up front throughout, he might have done much better.

2 Likes

I remember when Westcarr scored 19 in a season (in thanks to Brandy’s penalties) but was still gladly shown the door at the end of the season. Whilst Bradshaw the following year was a clear upgrade, I think we can all be guilty of not appreciating those we do have, despite their flaws.

Grigg took the penalties, no?

He does, but he also let him go on loan to Exeter in the summer. I’d take him, experienced, even if he is getting on a little.

1 Like

Quite probably, it’s been a long time. But in that case it just reinforces the point more. As he’d have been mid-20s with pens then!

He scored 17 in 48 games, 14 of which were scored in the league, the best return of his career, in 2013-14. Grigg had moved on by then.

Agree with most of whats been said about Miller above.Still of the opinion his first touch and finishing need a lot more work though the only similarity he has with Bradshaw is movement Bradshaw was a much better finisher and had better control at a similar age and higher level of football that said i would sign him and a targetman type if possible in the summer to go with Wilkinson and Rodney i think that would give us four decent options next season.

Odd all managers who come here always say there’s ambition and a decent budget though? For all the stick they get Mole, Gamble and LP must be incredible salesmen at the interview process.

Flynn could’ve easily waited for top end league 2 team or bottom end league 1 team to come in for him if he’d waited until the summer so something attracted him to this club.

I think budget will be o.k and in line with what he had at Newport. And you’d back him to get way more out of prospective squad than if he’s given similar resources to what Taylor had, results so far indicate this.

1 Like

Could be wages, who knows. Think Newport signed him in 2017 so he played for years under Flynn.

Got the feeling Wilkinson will have fantastic season next year get 15 +. Been up and down this year but he seems to be relishing playing under this management team. Need to make sure there’s enough depth so he dosen’t play as a CF at any point next season.

1 Like

I would love to sign Amond…just not for Walsall…for Finn Harps. That’s his level aged 34 and its time to come home. :+1:

1 Like