Has Walsall's decline 'bottomed out'

They can talk the talk, and that’s where it ends!

Is Amond a target man?

Didn’t Wilkinson miss out on a solid pre-season this year due to covid too?

Exactly my thoughts, no room for passengers, so take your chances. At the very least, shots on target, not wide.

Yes!!!

4 Likes

Agree - end the thread!

Maybe. But we still have the :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: in the boardroom, so another crisis will be along at some point, possibly not for a few years if Flynn can sort the team out and get us punching above our weight, or even at our weight to start with.

1 Like

Just keep it warm :smile:

Based on the evidence from the past 3 matches, no.

1 Like

Of course it hasn’t :joy:

A few decent results in the fourth division and hiding behind another good managerial appointment simply masks it for a few months. As we have seen. Don’t kid yourself for a minute that this is any different.

Anything to do with the day to day running of the club is outsourced to third parties, who are either paid peanuts and couldn’t give a toss or just aren’t very good at what they do. Makes me wonder exactly what our CEO / COO’s actually do to earn their wages.

Futhermore the latest masking of deep rooted issues seems to have prompted some posters to give up. Whether it will be reflected on the terraces remains to be seen. The support numbers have been incredible but I do sense a drifting of many.

My prediction is Flynn will get us to around where Clarke did, then will jump ship to a club that is actually run with a bit of nouse and ambition, in a very similar exit to Clarke. You read it here first.

Never thought I would say this but @el_nombre has actually become one of the most clued up posters on here…can see things a mile off and sticks by his convictions. Which 9 out of 10 times prove to be bang on the money atm

5 Likes

I wish i shared your optimism :laughing: :wink:

We need 6 points from the last 5 games to match last season’s abysmal points total. We may do it but we probably won’t.

Either way, but for the bit of a bounce we had when Taylor was sacked we would be right in the relegation scrap and let’s face it we aren’t really any better than Oldham, Barrow, or Stevenage.

I’m not making any predictions for next season. I hope for better but really would not be surprised if we are in the same mess or worse this time next year.

2 Likes

Cheers mate :+1:

We still need 6 points currently to be mathematically certain of staying up, though that will hopefully not be required in the end.

Most of us would say “play the kids” regrettably we haven’t got any!
I struggle to see another 6 points tally from the remaining fixtures (even what seemed like an easy 3 pointer at home to Carlisle, now seems most likely to be yet another defeat) We just have to hope that one team from the bottom is even worse than us (if that were possible) and cannot make up the points between us.

Maher seems to be the best shout right now.

I’d definitely give him some game time, see if it’s too early… or actually he might be great.

I don’t know too much about the youth team tbh, to comment on the others. Isn’t there a right back that’s supposed to be decent ?

2 Likes

Still heading south

Indeed.

I think we’ve had sparks of revival since Leigh came to the helm. It is just that first team results have meant rapid and frequent changes of direction.

I still believe that a Director of Football is a good thing for all the reasons it was when we appointed one. The problem was that we made a really poor choice in who should do it.

I’d love a Richard O’Kelly type in that position. Seen it, done it and would be exactly the right type of person to help, challenge and support Flynn in his current predicament. He’d also be someone with an extensive network across the game through all four divisions and beyond.

But because we got the wrong person we binned the role. Which I assume means we have no football strategy at the club other than hoping the current manager can get results. The belief in that manager and the decision as to whether he is good enough or not or has a coherent strategy or not will be made by football amateurs. Which is a big part of the reason we’ve had six years plus of regression.

Trivela need to appoint a full time and present chairperson. That person can then begin the proper rebuild. There’s little point changing the wallpaper every year if the place is subsiding into the sea.

14 Likes

Far from bottomed out

Agree - far from bottomed out. It is a long way down.

We pay around £500,000K in rent per year. Over 23 home games that is £21,739 per home league game. Average £20 per head = 1,087 attendance per home game just to pay the rent. So when we hit the magical 5,000 home attendance it is equal to a club with no rent but only 3,900 fans per home game. This is every game, every season.

This is what the new owners are grappling with and is in a nutshell a summary of the Bonsor legacy. We will not bottom out until the new owners get rid of all board members within 12 months (at the latest) who were present and sat idly by and allowed this to happen. Any gains on the pitch (if they ever occur) will never be sustained until the Board are jettisoned.

UP THE SADDLERS

4 Likes