Has Walsall's decline 'bottomed out'

With the current trajectory I don’t think we will bottom out until we just avoid relegation from the league below this one that’s taking into account the current men at the helm staying in their positions and I reckon only then would they consider giving it up as a bad hobby.

I was talking to a mate of mine a few days ago about our ongoing plight. He said to me ‘maybe we just have to accept that we are a bottom third League Two side now’. Is this what we are accepting now?

1 Like

The way things are going, sadly that might be a bit optimistic

3 Likes

Don’t think the club will grace non league.

Very disappointing though over two years in league two now and team looks as far away as ever from even finishing 7th any time soon.

What’s more boring than making up the numbers in league 1? Doing the same in league 2 and yes eventually you run the risk of that happening in national league given the money now being spent by several clubs at that level, it’s really not worth thinking about as club wouldn’t get back into the league for quite a few years.

4 Likes

If we do go into non-league football and can’t get back quickly then we should give serious consideration to re-forming as a new club: AFC Walsall and totally cut our ties with the old regime. It might be the only way we can ensure our long-term survival. The current arrangements are strangling the life out of us.

This is a huge month.
Most of the the fixtures look daunting but then again its division 4, a crap division of tight margins. Surely we can have a good day on someone elses off day and pick up a surprise 3 points?. If we can do that and beat Oldham whilst awaiting the return of some players from injury I will be ecstatic. If we don’t we’re in almost uncharted depths of shyte.

3 Likes

There is absolutely no evidence so far to suggest that the decline has bottomed out.

Look at the last fans forum held during the day Held on line no questions submitted or accepted from online

Like I said before it will be basket case clubs like Southend Bury Macclesfield … there’s always one or two that take up the spots

It’s a tough period for everyone but this tough period hasn’t caused this it’s decades of under investment

3 Likes

Whilst I’m not expecting anything to come from a focus meeting - it’s the only avenue to speak to Jamie Fullarton and hear/understand exactly what’s going on - given he doesn’t talk to the press, or the official site - which I find really strange.

Don’t cry for me FUNKY…I am ok and will support the club wherever we end up. I have seen some great times which I refer to occasionally on this site. Cry for those youngsters who haven’t seen a good team in years, who haven’t seen players with skill and a flair for scoring goals, who haven’t seen a cup run of any sort. They will soon be like me …old men or women with greying hair(if they have any left) and will not have seen a Richards, aTaylor, a Buckley, a Leitao or even a Bradshaw or Sawyers. Those are the people to be sorry for and when I think of those players and many many more It makes me hope more than ever that we have bottomed out. Anybody know a multi millionaire who loves football and wants to rebuild a club to cope with the demands of the modern game ?

11 Likes

Like you I will always support the club, like the vast majority of people on this forum.

But what you should really be worrying about is how many will be doing it from the sofa rather than the stands.

The club is currently on the verge of losing a lot of support, and with the trajectory they are on they won’t see it return for a long long time.

1 Like

No, there’s a long way to go yet. I’m seriously doubtful that there will be a recognizable Walsall FC in 20 years time. With the legalised theft and continued leeching of cash, the only way out is a genuine benefactor ala Brentford - which isn’t going to happen. Depressing

5 Likes

I sincerely hope that we have “bottomed out” & I’m still positive that MT can sort the playing side out. However, there’s an equally nagging doubt in my mind that this could be the season when our luck runs out & we follow Southend through the trap-door.
I dread to think how my nerves will be come March 2022…

Why would you say it isnt going to happen?

I’d say 10 years myself. All this seat cleaning, toilet painting, food wagons, more bar staff, reinstating Savoy passes amounts to guilding a turd. The turd being the ‘football’ as witnessed out on the green bit. Until that’s sorted out there is no telling how far we’ve yet to fall.

I see no one with the money or interest to come to the rescue. With the leech making it the grand a day stadium, nobody will invest with the hope of a decent return. Love to be wrong but Pomlett seems to be the continuity"owner" to guarantee the rent while making a nice low income for him and Bonsers accountant et al.

4 Likes

Ok BT thanks for that. I take your point but I see us a hugely attractive propostion for a speculative investor. Far lesser clubs than us have found them with relative ease. Is the desire to find one there though?

1 Like

I find it difficult to imagine where LP would find someone with a spare £15 - £20M to purchase the freehold with. I know that he has, in the past, mentioned potential US investors but that the club needs to be in League 1 & be “on the up” before they will invest (assuming that they haven’t lost interest already…).

2 Likes

That whole US investment line is just pure nonsense, we can’t even cook a hot dog and serve a pint…

3 Likes

Look at clubs recently like Wrexham for example massive story about Hollywood actors investing blah blah signing Paul Mullin blah blah and they ain’t exactly lit that league up so far so things do take time we just don’t seem to be getting any better and I personally feel after coming up to 10 games we should be.