Has Walsall's decline 'bottomed out'

I totally agree with your post.

Difference is they got the club lock stock and barrell for £2m.

3 Likes

Jeef has well and truly got us by the short and curlies! We’ll never thrive until we are free of the current arrangements - they are throttling the life out of us.

1 Like

But we are told the big advertising display brings in sufficient income to cover the rent. So we should be able to compete with most in our league.

1 Like

Is it that bad? Attendances have generally held past 4k since relegation. Yes it’s not amazing but remember generally less travelling support in this league than league 1 which has 5-6 clubs with Bristol Rovers travelling type support.

Let’s remember post Jan 2008 many times in league 1 they’d be crowds of 3.5k or less and some of those were even Saturday 3pm games aswell.

I think the fans have given Pomlett every chance since he took over with decent backing, was a good crowd going to Newport aswell but most people have a limit so another season or two of doing nothing at league two level (or worse) and yes crowds will drop significantly below 4k.

1 Like

Quite. LP has had more support in terms of numbers and goodwill than Bonser would ever have got, and it hasn’t helped in the slightest, so what on earth is going to happen when that support does diminish? It doesn’t bear thinking about. Another pre season of talking about promotion pushes won’t work for a second time.

With those pair of clowns doing naff all to attract floating fans and youngsters that aren’t already linked to the club via family, if this goodwill runs out we are totally, totally knackered.

I mean just look at the vote results if you need any indication of how much confidence our fans have got. For a so-called businessman already linked to the club, I hate to say it but LP has made a total pigs ear of it.

It desperately needed wholesale change and all we got was continuity.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the attendances are currently off the back of Pomletts broken promises.

We will lose 500 of those next season should this season be the damp squid it looks to be.

The club have been clever enough to lock fans in this season, I see that challenge coming next season.

2 Likes

Next season gate’s will be at early 90s level’s or below which will look terrible in the stadium now as it’s obviously Bigger with the homeserve stand . I was watching some YouTube clips the other day and it’s amazing how there’s more home fans in now than there was 10-15 year’s ago when we were obviously the league above the time we had John Macken up front the home stands looked completely empty compared to today

1 Like

I look on and hand on heart can’t see a way out unless we get investment and looking at what we have whose going to want to invest in that ?
The rent is the crippler 10k a week gets you 3 or 4 top players in this division, we was lucky to find a Ray Graydon, Dicky Dosh, Dean Smith and without these type of managers (work on limited budgets) then we are only going one way.
I don’t trust the present regime to find anyone like the above and day by day the gulf between the promised land (championship) and league 2 is increasing, I honestly can’t see where the improvement is going to come from without new ownership who have money to progress what we have, in the meantime we’ll continue to turn up and support what we have whilst we’re still in existence, sorry to be so negative folks but that’s exactly how I see it, the leach (bonser) has bled us dry and it’s starting to show on the pitch as well as off it.

3 Likes

I know we don’t see eye to eye on everything mate but you come across a top bloke. Let’s hope something does happen to turn us around before we end up in the abyss.

Might call my next techno release this :wink:

2 Likes

Not always …actually I tried to get a reference to Argentina in there but didn’t have the wit or imagination. If you do you use the phrase will I be due any royalties? :wink: Actually I agree with a lot of your ideas for enhancing the the match day experience and for moving the club forward . However I think sometimes your criticism of 2 individuals goes a little over the top. I think I posted sometime ago that if I was LP I would invite you in with others to try and get something moving and that is still my position.

3 Likes

For those of us who don’t know, who and what are you ?
Only because I am interested and fully understand if you don’t answer and want to protect your anonymity. ( I dont mean what is your name )

Career-wise? I have worked in large-scale music events for coming up to 15 years. My organisation’s next event brings the biggest current name in UK techno to Brum. We haven’t once ran out of beer either :wink:

I worked for a pretty big music company in London before being made redundant thanks to covid.

Basically, it may seem that I give certain people at Walsall pelters, but it comes from a professional position. I called these guys out years and years ago and the unfortunate thing with negligence or poor performance is it can take many years to manifest. The heartbreaking thing is, I have worked alongside so many competent, driven, modern professional project managers that earn a fraction of what our esteemed CEO’s earn - it drives me up the wall.

7 Likes

Thanks for that. Wasn’t being nosy just seems that you have a good understanding of the entertainment business. (Know why now )

1 Like

Thats alright mate. For what it’s worth I personally don’t feel qualified enough but I know plenty that are, some are on this board! Some of us could offer our services but we all know the board room door is permanently closed to outside influences at the fortress Bescot Boys Club. Now, why is that? :thinking:

2 Likes

Might be able to get some VIP entry then to one of your events seen as we have a natter on here and both support the saddlers :wink: alright alright can’t blame a bloke for trying.

belongs. Where would we sit in the conference. Our income and fan base drawfes the likes of Kings Lynn, Bromley and Eastleigh. Likewise we cannot compete with the financial muscle of Stockport, Wrexham and Notts County. SSo we basically drop there. Probably top 10 each season and stagnate. That’s what I think will happen.

1 Like

Mr Pomlett got the club lock stock and Darrell.

2 Likes

I’m resigned to going down and I actually think it will be a good thing in v small part. It wipes out the fat cats and all their huge salaries. We will not be able to afford to pay them. And it will also force Bonsers hand to sell the club back. Let’s face it his rent would be miniscule in relation to what he gets now. The problem will be getting back. Compared to Kings Lynn, Eastleigh etc we are like man utd. Likewise we wouldn’t be able to compete with the big budgets of Wrexham and Stockport. The risk therefore is that we stay there. 9th 10th every season. For a very very long time. This is what I think will happen

How, it’s not Bonser’s club to sell.

Why would the rent reduce if we went down? To my knowledge it hasn’t specifically gone up/down when we have been promoted/relegated before, why would it now?

Sure, our ability to actually afford to pay the rent would be in question, but the amount of the rent itself wouldn’t go down.