Hey DJ

Who filled that pocket?

2 Likes

I wonder if they want to block him returning to play against them this season, so we play them on 1st January, I’d bet the transfer goes through after that match if at all…

1 Like

Mansfield are waiting to see if another Div 1 or 2 club make a bid for DJ in Jan. We will probably then lose out on signing him. He will only see the season out with Saddlers if no-one else makes them a better offer.

2 Likes

Flynn’s quite good at the politics. He knows that if we beat Carlisle that’s already a very handy 108k of unbudgeted, and given that we drew a L1 side away, unlikely money, with the distinct possibility there could be lots more to come before the end of January. That’s potential money generated literally out of thin air by the playing side of the club in a very short space of time. The other week he did a piece about replicating the Newport exploits, and now he’s done one about what may or may not happen in January in respect of his minimum expectations. If we do reach the third round it will be well and truely over to you Pomcott. :wink:

3 Likes

I believe a deal can be worked out with Mansfield for DJ, a lot will depend on the player, does he want to stay here or not? If he doesn’t, no amount of money will persuade him to stay - simple as that really.

I too have noticed his frustration when he’s not getting the service, all strikers do that, he’s a little more animated than most, but that proves he’s hungry for goals and wants to take advantage of every opportunity he gets…my kind of striker.
I hope the two clubs can work something out as most of us would want him to stay, providing of course, he wants to be here.

5 Likes

Noone in L1 will go for him. I could see Wrexham throwing some cash at Mansfield and DJ though.

A striker in double figures with 6 months on his deal who has also had 20 in league 2 previously available on the cheap I’d be very surprised if nobody from the league above considered him at least worth a punt

Stockport could be another they are after a striker

Wrexham have already got Mullin and Palmer scoring for fun. Stockport have Paddy Madden and only signed Kyle Wootton in the summer.

I’m not so sure either of those would be in for DJ in Jan.

Salford on the other hand, with more money to spend after selling Thomas-Asante to WBA…

If I was a league 1 team sorry I’d expect better than dj if I’m paying money.
Free yeah worth a punt but his nearly 30 with only a couple of quality seasons under his belt . Hell of a risk x
For us though ….

He might go to League 1 but not one of the really big clubs. I dont think anyone would splash massive cash on Dj 100k max. His all round game isnt good enough. Poor in the air and really lacks pace. He would be great signing in League 2 though. If he goes back and the plan is to struggle through the second half of the season with Wilkinson that reallt shows zero ambition from Boycott. Flynns statement appears to be ‘sowing the seeds’ for an underwhelming January.

Concerning…

It’ll be mainly about the wages and contract length with DJ. Mansfield can’t demand a kings ransom given the amount of time left on his deal. If a deal can’t be reached between Mansfield and a buying club then DJ will sit tight until the summer. DJ and agent will start in the region of 3 years at £5k a week I.e a £750k deal. I wouldn’t go near that if I were Walsall. He’s near 30 and had two hot streaks as a league player.

I’d suggest we should be looking at 2 years on that Wilkinson equivalence (£3k per week?) would be about right and fair.

Our problem is that professional football, and indeed the level below, is stacked with clubs living beyond their means or being heavily underwritten. So a January deal of £150k to Mansfield plus £5k a week over three years might just happen with Gary Neville or some Hollywood type picking up the £900k tab.

7 Likes

I personally don’t think he will stay with us unless no one else takes a chance and we loan him again until the end of the season (if this is even allowed, I’m not sure) I agree with you that his demands will be too high and not something the club should consider if they are in the region of what you said, which they no doubt will be. He will hold out for whatever he thinks is best. It will be his last chance at a decent contract so who can blame him.

You would like to think Walsall have a backup plan and are already looking at other players that could fill the void. Unfortunately, history tells us we aren’t very good at doing this and it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Wilkinson just takes his place with possibly another loan signing. I hope things have changed but seeing is believing.

5 Likes

What’s a transfer plan? Nevermind a backup of one of them!

2 Likes

Think thats spot on to be fair. A 3k a week deal over 2 years would be fair. Anything more than that. No. I dont think anyone will pay Johnson 5k a week if hes looking for that

1 Like

We’ll see what a £5k a week striker looks like when we play Doncaster…

To be fair, the thought of DJ and Wilkinson teaming up again is pretty mouth watering, especially with Maddox too.

1 Like

We should push the boat out and sign him. Let’s show some ambition like other clubs for once.

1 Like

Thats why we never went in for Miller was told that months ago.

George Miller a good player but the dressing room wouldn’t have the same harmony with such a jump in wages for a relatively unproven player.

Not sure what Tammy, Williams and Douglas-James are on combined (maybe £2500) but none have really contributed thus far.

I do expect Knowles to push on though: I think that he’s been a cracking signing!

1 Like

Football isn’t played in the dressing room, and success isn’t achieved in it.

And harmony, this overplayed narrative, has rarely been a precursor of footballing success.

At every successful club at every level of football, as we live and breathe there will be players on many times more money than their teamates. It’s just how things work, and if you want to progress you have to sign better players on better money, and hence give existing players the opportunity of being players in a successful team that will benefit them financially, both short and longer term, and in respect of individual careers.

3 Likes