Hey DJ

How pissed off as a fan base will we be if this doesn’t happen again …

No excuse we need to compete for these players or we will never progress.

1 Like

Yes, I heard that too and the ifollow commentator said he had been speaking to locals who cover Mansfield and seemed pretty sure of his intel.

If I was Mansfield I wouldn’t make it permanent until after we play them on New Years Day so DJ couldn’t play in that game if still on loan.

Presume it’d turn permanent once the loan expires? Although we all know it’ll be permanent for Stockport.

No change there then. Never cracks his face

1 Like

Strange, always think he comes across as a very nice bloke.

PR disaster with supporters last season

Starting today, surely surely a good sign

You would of thought so but maybe there’s a fair chance of whoever he plays for won’t be that bothered about the cup

No progress on anything for Johnson at the moment.

‘Danny has been a great asset and the fans would like to see him stay of course they would but there is no further progress on it though we are constantly monitoring the situation and we will see what we are able to do towards it.’

He said: “I don’t think keeping Liam on a permanent basis would be a realistic option due to the possibility of a transfer fee as he is in contract at Cambridge…

Does that mean we’re not prepared as a club to pay a transfer fee now ?

…but we are living under the constraints of a cost of living crisis – football clubs feel it as much as individuals feel it.

Is it not the same for all clubs , we won’t be expected to pay anymore than the next team

Hope I’m wrong but the excuses seem to be being layed down already , just incase A , B or C

1 Like

That’s a deeply concerning quote I understand the transfer fee element as we’ve signed a lot this year and there’s the freehold and ground stuff taking up initial cash.

However the cost of living feels like a line set up to try and soften the blow that neither sound like they will be here and also the fact we aren’t even looking at plan B & C options first means we run the risk of ending up with any old shite panic signings in jan

If we can’t keep these two then I fear our recent revival may be short lived!

1 Like

I take your point and share your frustration. But I don’t think there was ever any possibility of us signing Liam permanently. He is clearly highly rated at Cambridge and they have him signed up to a relatively long contract. Remember at time seeing somewhere that Cambridge are currently blessed with fullbacks / wingbacks so he would have been unlikely to get much game time there this season. In his time with us he has clearly shown that he lives up to this billing and has potential to play at higher level. Really hope we can see him for the rest of this season and can sign DJ permanently.

6 Likes

I know deep down it would never of been an option to get Bennett , but that wasn’t how it was worded was it @Belgiansaddler , MF was kinda saying a transfer fee wouldn’t be a realistic option , now that sounds a little different to me and thats what I was getting at

On DJ I feel this is a watershed moment - will the new owners put their money where their mouth is - or are we doomed to continue with the mediocrity overseen by Pomlett and co in recent years?

2 Likes

Do we really expect Flynn to come out and say, we’re the Wrexham of League 2 and we’re going to have an open chequebook for teams to pick their price? We’re always going to say money is tight and we’re going to have to wheel and deal whether that’s truthful or not…

6 Likes

They already have but for some reason the Mansfield owners didn’t want to sell. The fee was agree and it wasn’t the issue remember!

Arguably though from a Walsall point of view, he’s worth less now as (I think) he has 6 months on a contract and we’ll have a good opinion of how likely it is he’ll sign a new one.

3 Likes

Yes I wonder what the stumbling block is? Did Mansfield hold back in case their favoured front men got injured and they might need to recall him?

Agree we shouldn’t be looking to be the Wrexham of league 2 - but I remember back in the day Bonsor dipped in his pocket to get the likes of Martin O’Connor and Wayne Clarke when it became clear that we needed their quality if we weren’t to languish in the 4th division. I’d like to see that approach now with DJ.

3 Likes

There main man Rhys Oates has been injured for a couple of months now Clough just doesnt want DJ.