Hey DJ

Let’s really hope we can get Johnson signed (if he was going to sign in the summer before Radford moved the goalposts then surely we still have a chance now despite possible interest from elsewhere now) and hopefully Bennett to the end of the season.

If it doesn’t work out, and we have some money from the cup games etc to play with, then maybe we could look at someone like Dallas again - Solihull Moors slipping away a bit recently and, against some stiff opposition, don’t look like they have a fantastic chance of promotion again, so maybe we could enquire in January. Yes, he hasn’t the experience of Johnson but he’d probably do well alongside Wilko as well.

1 Like

Seen him with crutches still yesterday so probably right

1 Like

I saw a few posts yesterday saying Knowles didn’t do too well when he moved out wide. I thought he did alright. He was hugging the touchline most the time which is what you want when you are trying to break down a team who is sitting behind the ball. He had a few decent runs, looks like he can beat a man for sure. He could be a real player for us if he can improve his composure a little.

2 Likes

When the window shuts at the end of January he should be available for the cup, so the fifth round, quarter final and onwards he can play for us. Just a matter of coping without him in the first four rounds.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I thought the subs / swapping around worked very well.

1 Like

I wouldn’t disagree Mazza.

I think WalsallOne mentioned the comparison to Buckley. Johnson’s instinct in the penalty box is right up there. He was in the right place for Hutchinson’s pass. The first touch, the swivell and strike all in an instant like the the deadly rhythm of a Gatling gun.

Yes, he hasn’t got pace over 20 or 30 metres but his first few yards are in his head and together with his clinical finishing that’s more than quick enough at this level and the one above.

He’s not going to create many chances for himself and he’s not going to flourish launching 50 to 60 yards balls into him but, get down the sides and deliver quality ball into the right areas and he’ll always be a threat.

The one area he seems to divide opinion a little is his contribution outside the box and yes, he can appear to drift out of games at times. I’m not too concerned with that. As I said above, when we launch long balls down the pitch he struggles to get into the game, but no different to any of the other forwards. However, if you play the ball into his feet his hold up play is good and he more often than not brings other players into the game. I think that says more about how we play as a team than it does DJ.

3 Likes

As much as Bennett signing/continuing until the end of the season would be a great statement, for me signing Johnson and a couple of players to strengthen the bench is more of a priority. Not saying no to Bennett signing though :smile:

Johnson is a match winner and a goalscorer, something we’ve missed dearly for years. And with the exception of Earing yesterday, i feel like none of the substitutions made any sort of effect and it’s been like that for the last few weeks.

It’ll be an extremely interesting January thats for sure.

4 Likes

4 points from 18 for Mansfield, a poor December and Clough will be under pressure. If he gets the sack before January… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Recall a similar scenario regarding Clough and Menayese around this time last year.

1 Like

Simon, do you think Menayese’s career at Walsall is definitely over?

I know he is injured right now but when he has played, Hartlepool fans have rated him highly.

With Clarke now at Oldham and Bennett likely to return to Cambridge , a fit Menayese would probably be in my match day squad. I would also look to secure White and Monthe in January because both are out of contract in the summer and are vital cogs in a solid back line (which Flynn appears to build his teams around)

1 Like

Recently Bradshaw is the only poacher we’ve had in recent years, would probably put him slightly above DJ on all round game but no doubt DJ is a great poacher. Saw some similarities to Buckley in yesterdays winner, but think he reminds me more of Don Penn, who after his short career remains 1 of my all time fave players. Would have scored hatfulls of goals at a higher level if injury hadn’t ended his career. Same time as Ian Paul, we lots 2 gems there

6 Likes

‘He scored again, it must be Donald Penn’.

3 Likes

I’m sure I sang that a few times! Just looked up his record.
1977–1983 Walsall 141 games (54 goals)

1 Like

Good player, Don Penn. If I remember correctly, he made his debut the same night as Ian Paul, at Deepdale. IP started as a right back and The Don came off the bench. Again, iirc, Ian Paul put through his own goal that night.
Scored loads when we won promotion and had a very good 81-82 season, which was his last full one. Big blow for us (and him, of course) when he had to knock it on the head, and only a couple of years after IP had finished.
That crop of youngsters who came through in just a few years…Paul, Penn, Preece, Shakey, Mower, Rees, Sinnott, all made their debuts between 78 and 82.

6 Likes

Hard to say. He seems to be facing a similar scenario as he did with Clough at Mansfield, running down his contract out of favour with a manager he has (reportedly) fallen out with and is looking to offload him. For me, the Menayese we had on loan gets in the back three ahead of White, but he’d have to re-invent himself as a right wing back to get in the team now, should Bennett depart.

I remember getting some petrol at a garage in Halesowen or somewhere round there in the early 90’s, and Don Penn was working there. Had a quick chat and a handshake as you do, he was a very very laid back character, almost to the point he was embarrassed at being recognised. When I went back to work and mentioned it, one of the blokes I worked with said he’d been at school with him, and that he wasn’t even really interested in football or becoming a footballer, but he just literally had a natural ability to score goals - so just kind of ended up doing it for a living almost by default.

1 Like

When the game is tight,
And you need to score,
You gonna call?
Danny Johnson

(sung to the Ghostbusters tune)
:smiley::smiley::smiley:

WE MUST SIGN HIM IN JANUARY. NO QUESTIONS!!!

1 Like

Thing is especially at home a defender can’t switch off because one chance usually equals a goal.

He certainly looks like he’s enjoying it here, and with him playing in the FA Cup I’d be surprised if the deal wasn’t done.

Also great to see Wilkinson yesterday on the pitch, he looked in great physical shape. Those 2 together will potentially be the best partnership in the league.

2 Likes

Reading the Oldham forum Abraham was superb yesterday. Pace, power, ability, strength. Maidstone keeper made 2 worldy saves

Serious question. What the hell happened at Walsall

1 Like

I think Timmy should answer that question not Walsall.