How to help generate an atmosphere

Pretty sure Walsall played their under 23s in the paint pot there a few seasons ago. Fair play if you stuck to your principles unlike a wobbling few recently. :wink:

Bring back Sumo!

And wolfie, we will leave billy bescot on the sidelines for now mind…

1 Like

Wolfie and Billy Bescot can both ■■■■ off thanks very much :wink::rofl:

It’s obvious the club, the team, the fans need and demand the one and only " Dancing Kev "

1 Like

Maybe we should introduce mascots fighting before kick off to help generate atmosphere I seem to remember Wolfie having a scrap with 3 little pigs once live on TV :rofl:

1 Like

What’s happened to dancing Kev not seen him for while ???

Got banned for spitting on a steward I believe

2 Likes

The older ‘red army’ lad was pretty good ar waking everyone up. Got off to a great start but disappeared after his pitch length walkathon at Crewe.

1 Like

I appreciate the sentiment behind the thread but there was a similar thread that went into the hundreds a few years back, which eventually resulted in the now non existent upper block 4 singing section.

Unless someone at the club that cares works with the fans theres too many separate groups to ever create an atmosphere at Bescot again. Its a dour place to watch football and LP has done absolutely nothing in this regard. Its almost like the old administration are still around…hang on a minute!!

I was passionate about this subject but now I have given up any hope of it improving.

I wonder if Russ Abbott is available on Saturdays :thinking:

1 Like

Club won’t go safe standing as they won’t spend cash on the change.

Should just make lower free seating, stick on a cash turnstile and start winning. Atmosphere sorted.

1 Like

Passion effort attacking football and a good 2 footed tackle get the crowd going. Teams job to entertain and walsall fans will always get behind the team when we see the above. For example i enjoyed the 2nd half vs Chelsea and when we started playing the few fans there started to make a good noise. Really enjoyable and good support

2 Likes

Looking at the table today the team have actually collected more points away than likes of Bradford and Northampton who are in play offs and only a few points off top 3.

Home form has been poor for a long time. It wasn’t even that amazing in 15/16 when you think the team hardly won a home game under O’Driscoll.

Even mediocre home form of 4-5 wins would have Walsall just outside the top 7.

And all that after apart from the recent run has been a poor season just goes to show that it’s not going to take much to climb the table is it…we must choose wisely with recruitment January because the ones we have really have improved a bit in my opinion whether that’s coaching badges paying off or harsh January exit talk from DC who knows.

1 Like

It’s a problem with English football in general. Even at clubs that draw huge crowds it’s often only the away fans that make any noise.

The game has just become very sanitised in England compared to Europe.

I actually think our fans sing more than most other lower league home fans, but the structure of the stadium really doesn’t help.

2 Likes

Have a decent side that wins more than it loses might be a start.

The thing is, in general it’s easier to support a team doing well than one doing badly - but it’s actually the team experiencing hard times that needs it more (especially in terms of gate receipts to generate money to try and change things).

And it is a 2-way street in terms of fans reacting to what is happening on the pitch, while players often give it a bit more if they feel encouragement from the crowd. Crowd waits to be entertained, game is flat, less reason to cheer, harder for team to get going and give you something to cheer about, and so on …

Doesn’t always work or else you could determine league position in advance just by looking at expected attendance/noise they will make and forget about playing all those boring games - but that defeats the point somewhat. Still chicken and egg though as to whether success generates the support or the support generates the success.

So make the effort to turn up to the less attractive games, cheer from.the off even when there’s nothing to cheer about, and maybe we will start to pull it round?

2 Likes

Bring back the 80s inflatables :rofl:

2 Likes

When the top tier and lower tier synch up the noise at Bescot is as good as pretty much anywhere in the lower leagues ( a few obvious exceptions). Ive sat near the away end a few times this season and even when our ‘ultras’ in the middle lower sing on their own the noise travels well. Plenty of oppo managers have commented on this. Bescot lacks atmosphere until you compare it to the vast majority of away grounds in the lower leagues, then you realise how good it actually is.

1 Like