I am amazed.....by all you long distance Saddlers fans

The travelling issue was brought home to me by Geordie, when he was explaining the cost and effort needed for him to see The Saddlers play.
Made me feel a bit ashamed as in recent years I felt that the 10 min drive in my car from Pelsall was not worth the effort to watch the rubbish we were served up.
Well done to all you Saddlers fans who go the extra mile (literally), you have my utmost respect.

3 Likes

I know.
We’re only 60 miles away but with a few pints in the pub before and after the game plus travelling that’s pretty much the whole day taken up.
God knows how those living further away do it.

I hope you’re right about next season, @WalsallOne.

60 years after my first visit to Fellows Park, I certainly still love the club. 72 years after my introduction to Walsal via the Manor Hospital, I’m not sure I miss the town that much. I still love Pelsall, though.

Mind you, as my wife always reminds me, whenever we went anywhere in the world and visited places such as the Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen, or the Great Wall of China, I would say:

“Not as good as the arboretum.”

4 Likes

Ever the optimist, I hope my journeys back to Hampton in SW London from our matches this season are a little happier than they have been over the past few years

2 Likes

I have great admiration for all of our fans, but especially those who travel many miles to see our Saddlers play.
I was not born in Walsall but went to school there. I was never a big fan of the town, loved the people and had the privilege to have met some wonderful folks who are now gone, sadly.
Living in Texas now, I can’t get to any games in person. Rest assured, I will be watching every game this season.
I would like to wish you all well for the coming season and I share your optimism for a bright future.
UTS.

17 Likes

That’s dedication in itself! :clap:

Indeed, when I was just a ‘reader’ of the forum he did seem to have a deal of screws loose, his outrageous comments often tempted me to join earlier but I restrained the urge, by the time I did he was joyfully long gone.
I think we would be ideal ‘supping’ buddies, quietly regaling times long gone whilst the youngsters carried on with the more energetic exercises!

1 Like

Was definitiely a sandwich sort of a picnic!

During my six years living in South Wales, I never once tired of that trip up the A465, A40, A449, M50, M5 and M6 to see the Saddlers.

My wife did though, hence the divorce :rofl:

6 Likes

I live in tarragona Spain.
Every game is an away game.

3 Likes

Was born in Darlaston, raised in Walsall. It was a really nice place to grow up in. Moved away permanently to North Herts in 1985 but family all still live in Walsall so come back regularly to see them and the Saddlers. To me Walsall is only a shadow of what it was - so much litter and mess, town centre a ghost town, so much of what I knew and loved has gone. Glad to have left and don’t miss the town. However I was raised as a Saddler - it’s in my DNA. I can’t make many matches in a season but I bought a season ticket last season and renewed this year as I agree with WalsallOne - this is the start of a new era. There may not be immediate success but this year feels different. Despite everybody’s differing views on Walsall and other topics on this forum, we are all part of the Walsall FC family and we all love our club and want the Saddlers to do well, especially after the hurt and frustration of the last few seasons. So as WalsallOne says, lets get behind the team this year. I can’t make Tranmere tomorrow so for those who are going - make the team proud to be playing for such a great set of fans.

7 Likes

Just wondering, how many of my fellow long distance fans, when asked ‘Where are you from?’ or ‘Where do you live?’ answer by telling the questioner where you live and then add “but I’m originally from Walsall”

4 Likes

Yep, and the last time I said that to a work colleague she responded with “but you don’t sound Polish?”.

1 Like

Sadly I got rid of my Walsall accent from the minute I left Birchills for the North.
It does however return with gusto whenever I’m at one of our matches!

I’ve done the 57, 62 and M6 for over 25 years now. When it is good it can be very good. But when it is bad it can be awful.

The last decade with the so called “smart motorway” developments has been particularly bad.

But on a good day I’m home before my Liverpool supporting neighbours who either have a huge walk to a not too handy station, have to park the car literally miles from the ground or park near Anfield and get caught up in the inevitable grid-lock.

I can be home by half six on a good day.

Yeh traffic is a wonderful thing in Britain. I used to work at the NEC and we had a contractor that would commute from Paris and he could often be back in his flat there before I got home in Walsall.

Just putting them in place on the M6 and M1 caused so much hassle and delays with the 50mph zones I resorted to using the A5 as it was quicker.

1 Like

I have lived in quite a few different places over the years. Since leaving my Dad’s when I was 20 I haven’t lived in Walsall all that much.

If asked where I am from I always say Walsall without even thinking about it. It isn’t often someone says “where do you live” but if it happens it is "I come from Walsall but live in … "

It seems there isn’t a lot of love for Walsall as a Town or a Borough with a lot of Walsall fans these days, but it will always be home to me regardless of where I live.

2 Likes

Someone who frequently travels to the USA told me that they diched the ideas of safe motorways years ago because of the flaws in it, so why are WE still persisting with it?

I was born within spitting distance of villa park and my old man supported them, but we moved to great barr when I was 4. Lived in Willenhall for a few years when I got married and the on the Mellish rd. Moved dawn sauf when my work dried up and haven’t lived in the borough of Walsall since. My heart is still in fellows park and I still follow the saddlers home and away.

2 Likes