If you could revisit one game only what would it be

:grinning:No but she has her laptop and I have mine!!!

I was at all three of the matches Sunderland, Newcastle and Derby away. In the Derby match can anybody remember wee Georgie Meek . After half time he tried to come back on still smoking a fagā€¦ till the ref told him off, Priceless. I was only 10 years old and getting out of the Derby ground got picked up by my shoulders by one of the friends of my old man from the Fullbrook pub who had took me to the match ( my dad worked behind the bar and so did my mom)). The crush could have been sort of bad for a little kid like me. He only found me as my mom bless her had knitted me a new red & white hat with a pompom about 6" dia that the bloke spotted way in the crowd , how he got to me god know but he saved me.
Does anybody remember the Sunderland fan on the banking Laundry end dressed in a Red & White suit with a bowler hat that me and my cousin spent most of the match knocking of his head LOL. Happy days, still a Saddler now and forever UTS.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember the Meek thing but I do remember the crush outside.Great days indeed and if only we could have another spell like that. Optimistic that I am I cannot see that coming as the game is now so different from those days and we are certainly very different!!

1 Like

Yes things are certainly different , back in the day you supported your home side thick and thin but its your side for life not this seasons team to support. How many kids support Liverpool from last years Prem league win and they live many miles away. You never would see a shirt that was not Villa , Wolves, Albion or a Red Saddlers one when I was a kid not even a England one just local that you went to as not much football on the TV. Plus players who played for the team season after season like Colin Harrison. Now 2 seasons is a long term player.

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised more havenā€™t mentioned that Watford match. For the sheer excitement, I think it would be mine. I could still feel the adrenaline the next morning. I ended up thinking that no many how many times they scored, weā€™d pull it back.

From what I remember, Watford rode their luck in all three ties.

3 Likes

I lost my voice for 2 days after that game and remember my clothes were stuck to me at the game from how tightly we were packed in that end .
They certainly did ride their luck shrew and it took an Andy Dornan home goal to get them past us .
So wished we could get to witness games like those again.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s the same man, but mid sixties I worked in Sunderland and I used to go and watch them and Newcastle and he was like a mascot and he used to walk round the pitch with all the gear on. Moving on when Walsall were playing West Ham in 1968 in the cup my all-time non Saddler was Jimmy Greaves was scoring for them and I was watching Newcastle beat Reading 3-0.

Jimmy Greaves scored for Spurs against us in the mid-sixties, when Davy Wilson almost scored for us.

I do remember George Meek - he was a good player who used to dribble himself into knots - a bit like Wes did last night. Colin Taylor, now, was always putting a fag out as he came on after half-time.

1 Like

That 7 nil away win against Macclesfield in 1997 would be up there as wellā€¦

1 Like

You right I meant Spurs Iā€™ve just had my inoculation I think itā€™s scrambled my brain lol.

Bloody hell donā€™t get saying things like that on here :man_facepalming: :joy:

1 Like

Am I not allowed to mention Spurs.

1 Like

We did play West Ham a little later and got hammered (sorry) 5-1. Harry Redknapp on the wing and Mick
Evans trying to elbow him to stop him flying past. Despite what he looks like now, Redknapp was a really quick winger though never the bravest of players. Peters got a couple and Hurst one.

When we played the top teams they played their first team, so 3 world cup winners on display.

Was at that game loved it because world cup players were playing at Fellows Park although we were outplayed didnā€™t matter.

I would revisit the FA Cup game at Millwall in January 2004 and advise Jimmy Walker in the loudest and strongest possible terms to go nowhere near that obnoxious tw#t Denis Wise, even if severely provoked.
Even if it meant that I suffered horrible consequences from the ex-dockers as a consequence, it may have changed the course of Saddlers history that fateful season.

2 Likes

I noticed no one has nominated our trip to Wembley ā€¦

2 Likes

Rotherham in the milk cup run is up there for me. Read somewhere that mini preece put it as one of the highlights of his career.

4 Likes

That would be at the top of my worst ever games Andy , followed by Birmingham away in the fa cup in 75

1 Like

Agree with those two and Iā€™d throw in Sheff Utd in the fifth round of the F A Cup as well. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Ye i would have booked a hotel for the 3 days we stayed there, closer to London than Wembley and probably gone on an open top bus tour instead of the match :laughing:

1 Like