If you could revisit one game only what would it be

Either the play off final at the millennium or 4 - 1 against the Tesco Bag Ladies for me.

1 Like

Liverpool for me.
But 8 can’t believe know-one has mentioned the win at Wolves !
Andy Rammel and Tony Barras - 30,000 and loads of dingles I knew.
What a day, was drinking all over Wolvo before and after the game is was a very special day for me, especially bumping into so many dingle mates, that day and then ending up having a punch up with some at closing time that night !

3 Likes

Millennium stadium by many miles

1 Like

This thread echoes Simon Turner’s book, the Walsall Match of my Life, which I know has been mentioned on other threads. It is a great read, partly for the nostalgia but also because of the insights.

As someone already mentioned, a few of the players’ memories are not accurate - Allan Clarke completely misremembers his penalty at Stoke, though he does give good account of George Kirby taking out an intruding fan at Millwall.

One constant feature of the book is players regretting leaving but being forced to because they were so badly paid. Another is that every single one mentions the team spirit, with leaders in the dressing room - I wonder to what degree we have that now. And lots of the players say how little actual instruction they had before going on the pitch, with players like Mick Kearns and Kenny Mower organising things.

Oh, and Colin Harrison chooses a 4-1 defeat as his memorable game!

2 Likes

Its a good read that book. I understand he is doing another on similar lines.

1 Like

Swindon away every time. Just the last 5 mins will do.

1 Like

Was that the 78 Arsenal match, when he nearly scored early on(one on one with Jennings?)

That’s the one, yes. Given the number of games he played, you’d have thought he had happier memories.

1 Like

Not sure Clarke mis remembers the penalty as I have read elsewhere an accurate account from him. Agree that it doesn’t tell the whole story but he had been through on goal and Irvine did bring him down . Well he inexplicably kicked him after gathering the ball and Clarke was walking away.

Excellent book btw. Had it last week for my 73rd birthday so remember the earlier games more. As you say the players sorted things out on the pitch if needed. Can’t stand all this instruction on the tablets given to substitutes before they come on.

1 Like

Cardiff playoff final again, some of the day’s memories are very hazy and I’d like to remember them again please.

3 Likes

And the keeper, Irvine, an Irish international, never played for Stoke again.

Us 3…Villa 0.

Would like to see that again.

It certainly wouldn’t be the one I’ve just watched :joy:

3 Likes

I’d revisit it, and then I’d shut the laptop down before KO.

2 Likes

Only because no-one has mentioned it, 4-4 Vicarage Rd, when Watford were a good side. Superb game under the lights.

(Anfield, Millennium, Swindon, Playoff final at Fellows Park, hammering Stoke to get to Millenium, Leeds in FA Cup etc… etc… so many memories, alas none recent).

7 Likes

Mansfield at home if I wanted a cure for insomnia.

2 Likes

My wife who was watching the game in another room said she nearly went to sleep during the match. I didn’t but I found my mind wandering about a lot. If I had been at the game I think me and my friends could have had a number of good conversations about the state of the world. :wink:

1 Like

Never walked out of a game before but I think last night would have tested me.

2 Likes

4-4 Vicarage Rd, when Watford were a good side. Superb game under the lights.

Thats the one I always think back to , brilliant game and brilliant atmosphere by us lot , never stopped singing from start to finish .

Oh no W1 , not falling out are we … :joy:

1 Like