Is this the answer to the freehold?

Knock it down anyway on its arse for years now.

Would love that.

And it would make Walsall FC and the town symbiotic. At the moment Walsall’s biggest visitor attraction (I.e the football club) gets over 100,000 visitors per year and yet very few of those people spend any time and importantly any money in the town.

Road travellers are straight on and off the motorway whilst rail travellers will often go for food and drink in Brum.

The Saddlers centre and car park combined are plenty big enough.

Will never happen though. I get the impression that town leaders quite like the football club being out of the way and the football club seems tied to the concept of an out of town multi purpose venue.

4 Likes

I always think of the Millenium stadium and how brilliant it was that it was slap bang in the middle of Cardiff city centre.

4 Likes

As we lamented the other week, York away was the perfect away day. A huge part of that was the stroll from town centre pub to ground.

3 Likes

I think if you dig deeper you will see there is another piece about ownership but your main point is spot on the local councils have a minority interest in the airport.
As for the local Council I have to say that some of the comments above putting it all down to JB are not correct. To Mike Bird lending money to the Club is simply not the right thing to do whoever owns it. There are some Conservative councillors who are supportive but they are outnumbered by those who feel it would not be right. I don’t know how the Labour members would feel about it if they got control in the May elections but those who are close to the group could perhaps let us know.

3 Likes

@geordiesaddler will agree…

I miss you York away
Your brass ash trays and wooden tables
Narrow streets and weathered cobbles
Like the Hibbit era
A shambles

3 Likes

Since the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund has assets of around £120billion(!), maybe Pomlett could persuade them of our strategic links to Birmingham Airport and get them to throw some spare change our way.
Deal clincher could be that Simeon Jackson was a Canadian superstar.

4 Likes

And Lavery is from Canada too. I think he is from Red Deer.

I think he is from oh dear.

6 Likes

That explains the fallow period he was going through.

5 Likes

Maybe he was just in a rut

1 Like

As the advert said, just 90 minutes away from Europe. Great tie in with the airport.

4 Likes

Another serious thread descends into silliness !

Why buck the trend.

1 Like

Bit late to sign Barry Venison I suppose.

6 Likes

The mods need to rein in some of the posters on here

Doe!!! :man_facepalming:

I think this thread is going to STAGnate now.

Calm down deer

1 Like

I wouldn’t sign him mate he’s too deer!