“It’s going to be a long old season but I think my fans already know that.“

I actually think Gaffney’s play outside the box is actually decent, however as we both know he’s paid to score goals.

3 Likes

I thought he was the pick of our (admittedly poor) strikers before he was injured.
Hope I’m right!

Were you watching the same games? Gaffney was covering for him!
Could have been that he wasn’t fit or was carrying an injury already but from what I saw he was pretty ineffectual.

Yes I was watching the same games. Gaffney, as Mazza says, plays his best stuff outside the box. Lavery at least has an eye for goal

1 Like

Lets hope he has (if he’s fit) we certainly need someone, anyone, who knows where the goal is, apart from our current two goal striker that is!

1 Like

Give Lavery some Poutine pre match and the promise of a beaver tail and Naiome bar (or coffee crisp) at half time followed by KD for Dinner all washed down with a pint of Alexander O’Keith’s finest and he will do us proud.

A player scoring a couple of goals will make all the difference , Saturdays loss would have been 3pts in the bag , the mood and atmosphere totally different

I was talking to a fellow fan today. he has been asking me for weeks to go to swindon with him and his family, they love my stories of some of my past escepades on the long journeys apparently :joy::see_no_evil: now he tells me they are not going, after not missing a game all season, they can’t justify spending the best part of £200 on the dross we have served up this season, i don’t think it will be long before our home games are attended by season ticket holders only, and from what i am reading some of those are calling time :pensive:

1 Like

To be honest I was surprised we had 3700 home fans there on Saturday. Especially with the weather. I think most are trying to hang in there in the hope we can turn things round no matter how honestly dreadful we have been. Even the games we have won we have not dominated at all and could quite easily have lost… Its so sad really if only we had re invested a little more pre season and be at least mid table there would have been closer to 6500 there last Saturday and closer to 1500 going to Swindon Saturday instead of 3 or 400. Speculate to accumulate we will lose so much in lost gate receipts if this form carrys on.

5 Likes

Who’s gonna want these players? They’re failures in League Two.

Clarke has to take the blame for the mess we’re in as he signed this load of tripe. He signed 16 players and only 3-4 have been any good. He peed about waiting for Guffney because he’s played for him before and in doing so missed out on a number of viable targets. Guffney has been utter pants. When your forward line is Guffney, Gordon, Adebayo and Lavery (how many games has he been fit to start?) it ain’t surprising you ain’t scoring many goals. I don’t believe the budget is that bad: Clarke must have been given some of the £400k we’ve received in transfer fees this season, but he has wasted it. Still don’t know why we signed Holden instead of Kairo Edwards-John.

They could possibly get BETTER deals in none league if our budget is to be believed :pensive:

2 Likes

Gordon will have to go into non league, if he can score some goals down there he might be more of a threat next season.

He wasn’t that awful in league one, remember the good games he had up at Sunderland and v Posh, two of the better teams last season.

No idea what’s happened this year, he didn’t look right in pre season and it’s carried over into the proper games.

1 Like

Really not sure what to say about Gordon. He works his socks off. You can’t fault the effort he puts in but he is never a striker he scuffs every shot he takes. Maybe he just gets over excited and trys to hard. He may well mature in a year or two but he will not be given that time and I can’t see which other positions he could play in.

3 Likes

I’m just surprised even defence hasn’t been sorted. It looks like relegation form, 23 goals against, goal difference minus 12 after 16 games. Someone who can organise this players to do defensive duties haven’t been signed it seems. Set pieces? Non-existent. Offensive play? Ok, I got it, it requires some money, or clever coaching, both not present. Few months ago DC was the best possible option. Someone who knew how, knew who needs to be signed, knew what needs to be done. Sadly, it’s not true, when I see the table. His men, his plans. Nothing is working it seems. I’ve never thought new owner will have to make some decisions so soon, but time to prepare for Winter recruitment and of course find manager’s mojo. Relegation fight? That’s not an achievement. I understand there were years of neglect, but that’s not explaining current situation.
Side note, Gordon? Offensive player, who could add something more, but probably he’ll never be a proper striker, who can score ‘his’ goals.

1 Like

Absolutely bang on

We were a much more of a pull at the start of the season for players looking for a new club. Really hope we can get to within 5or 6 points of the play offs come January transfer window or like many have said what players will want to come to us? None of a decent quality. Opportunity missed yet again.

The way Gordon ended last season, many included myself felt he was going to score at least 15 goals this season. Let’s not forget he’s had a really bad summer personally. He’s lost two close family members.

Now I’m not going to say losing a family member should have an effect on your daily job for this long but for some it takes a lot longer.

Maybe a loan move to conference is probably the best bet for all parties and hopefully if his head is in the right place next season we give him another go.

4 Likes

You make a very good point about Gordon losing two close family members. And actually, in my working life, I can think of several people who have been badly affected for a good long time by deaths of people close to them. What may well be needed is an arm around his shoulder but our over qualified,all the badges manager says he doesn’t do that sort of thing.

A fit and motivated Gordon is easily good enough for this division, some of his performances last season clearly showed that. Something is clearly not right mentally and I suspect you’re spot on with your suggestion.

I’m sure we’ve all been effected by family deaths , but how that effects his poor movement and finishing I really don’t know.

Pretty sure someone mentioned on here in pre season he was having issues off the pitch. In these times it’s important to respect something like that IF true although why he’s still starting majority of games is something to ask the manager.

Yep he dosen’t have that striker instinct. Still didn’t stop him scoring some goals last season. I was going to say I think he misses someone like Cook who can win stuff alongside him but actually his best performances last season at Sunderland and home to Bradford came with Cook off the pitch so I don’t know.

BTW weren’t we saying who’d sign this dross last season and most of the key players stayed in league one or went to the SPL.

Edit: Just seen @JeefBoner post. With stuff like that happening I’d have given him a leave of absence for a few weeks. Not sure it was wise just playing him through pre season and all the early games, probably highlights the lack of urgency into signing some strikers given Lavery and Gaffs didn’t turn up until mid to late August.

1 Like