“It’s going to be a long old season but I think my fans already know that.“

Fair enough. There’s clearly plenty of green in going green!

1 Like

You sure, there’s hardly any footballers called that!

Don’t you mean that guy who was at Coventry a few years ago and Leicester signed him and have been loaning out ever since.

Frustrating how we can miss out on so many. Jake Doyle Hayes, Eoin Doyle and Ryan Broom were three players we should have looked at. Instead we got Holden, Liddle and Gaffney :rofl:

Proof that Clarke’s business was terrible in the summer. I’m hoping he’s learned his lesson and we get 5/6 decent players in January - if we don’t we are in serious trouble.

And here is the problem. We aren’t going to bring in 5/6 players good enough. With how many we’re realistically going to bring in that’s probably a near enough 100% success record. That ain’t happening.

So, do you stick with Clarke and see it out and hope he has a 50% chance in the transfer market to give us half a chance, or do you let someone else come in, judge this squad, coach this squad and bring their own players in? Again, a 100% success record unlikely.

Difficult decisions to be made at the club, I wouldn’t want to be Pomlett as I genuinely don’t have a clue what I’d do, I’d probably be using the Darlington FA Cup game as a time to judge properly.

1 Like

Plenty need to be shipped out in January.

Josh Gordon on loan.

Sadler contract paid up/mutually consented if needs be.

I wonder if club would consider offers for Kinsella.

Liddle nuff said.

If Norman still didn’t have 18 months left he’d be out aswell I suspect (giving him a 2 and a half year deal was madness).

Now with Gaffney we’ll see what DC is made of, will he be sent back to Salford (if of course the deal allows that) or will it be too much to get rid of an old mate who’s served him well previously.

Adebayo could also be returned.

That would at least give space in squad to get in 2/3 forwards and someone decent on the right.

Think you must have forgotten to add Holden/ Facey and Kiersey to that list mate.

1 Like

Adebayo returned to where?? Thought we signed him… Yes, we did…Elijah Adebayo becomes Saddlers' fourth summer signing! - News - Walsall FC

If we get a proven goalscorer and a right winger (like we should have done in August) personally I think we’ll be fine. The defence and midfield should be ok, but neither is helped by both the injury situation and Clarke’s constant tinkering and baffling selections, but we would have many many more points if we had just one proven goalscorer in the ranks such is the lack of quality in this league. That was glaringly obvious in both pre-season and the early games against the likes of Forest Green. The fact that we arn’t scoring goals is putting immense pressure on some young shoulders rather than allowing what talent we’ve got to develop. I think there’s something there with CCM, Hardy, Bates and even Adebayo, but its worth nothing without having a proven goalscorer who can convert our play into points when we do have our better days.

5 Likes

Absolutely correct mate , we went to Notts County and before any one says we made lots of changes , so did they .
It was so obvious that they had more depth than us .
I still maintain that he has a workable budget otherwise he would not have come , it’s just been wasted on some of the worst players I’ve seen in a WFC shirt that I have seen in almost 50 years supporting.
If he didn’t know how bad some of them are then that’s even worse Why should I believe he’s going to bring better players in, in January ?

2 Likes

So at the moment, I would see a remotely reasonable side would look like this:

Roberts

Clarke - Scarr - Roberts / Jules - Pring / CCM

--------- Sinclair - Hardy / Guthrie - McDonald

----------         ----------

Subs

Rose, Roberts / Jules - Pring / CCM, Kinsella, Bates, Hardy / Guthrie, ----------, Candlin, -----------

So, he has to plug right midfield with someone a bit out of position
Holden isn’t the answer and Liddle definitely isn’t.
Can Adebayo play there or Gordon or another midfielder?

The forwards are anyone’s guess and will probably fill up the bench too.
In fact Gordon or Gaffney would probably work fairly well with a Bradshaw type natural finisher.
But where are going to get one of those from?
We have five forwards and the best goalscoring pedigree comes from Candlin out at Nuneaton.

I’d rather have a clear out and put our kids on the bench to be honest.
We’re at the bottom of the football league, there’s not a great deal left to lose.

2 Likes

Do you think DC actually saw him play before signing him , because his assessment of him is certainly not what I’ve seen so far

I guess not when You read this part…“He’s quick, technically good, can win headers and run in behind. He’s got all the tools.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The worry I have is DC was appointed in May - which in retrospect is early enough to have a good stab at a rebuild and not this supermarket* sweep that seemed to happen.

What confidence do I have that DC can effectively do a second rebuild within 4 weeks of January that he failed to do having 3 months of prep from May to end of August?

Our appeal to potential signings is now much less than in the summer - we are effectively saying before the end of October we are desperate for new signings as we are in serious trouble - a great message to put out there and probably self defeating to the confidence of current players that Darrell “make no bones about it” Clarke says is the big issue (however tripe those players are)

He talks a good game but unfortunately is digging himself into a hole

• for supermarket, read scrapheap
1 Like

Exactly , that’s really worrying

Do you really see Clarke being best at full back? From what I saw at Crewe he is much more a centre half - he hasn’t got the mobility or ball play to be a full back imo. Does facey deserve a chance properly as he seems to have been injured for a while and not had a chance to show what he could do with a run in the team.

3 Likes

Can’t disagree with any of that.
I’m still better at putting bums on seats than our manager though.

Oh righty my mistake, thought he was just on a season long loan.

O.k I’d keep him then with that being the case, him and Lavery if he ever gets fit and two new strikers in January. However some creative players are also needed otherwise it will just be repeat from what we’ve seen already.

To be fair though he has actually scored, and thought he had a decent game on Saturday.

Adebayo looks the best of a bad bunch by some distance to me. He’s never going to light the league on fire but next to Gordon and Gaffney he looks like bloody Pele.

3 Likes

Wait till we see Lavery’s contribution on Saturday!!
How or why Blades fans rated him is beyond belief.