Jake Daniels - Blackpool Football Club

There’s your problem.

1 Like

Let’s be honest, the UK isn’t the greatest in the world when it comes to homosexuality and laws.

‘The Sexual Offences Act 1967 is an Act of Parliament in the United Kingdom. It legalized homosexual acts in England and Wales, on the condition that they were consensual, in private and between two men who had attained the age of 21.’

The issue is whether he has actually denounced it publicly. If he has, then I guess there will be some form of punishment, but then you have to consider whether you are punishing a man (or woman) for their religion, and that gets you into murky waters I feel.

Can you punish someone based on their religious beliefs? Not sure you can, you certainly can’t in the workplace.

1 Like

You can I think pal… especially extremism at the other end of the spectrum.

I think people absolutely should be punished if they live in a country where homophobic abuse as an example (public vocalisation of that, as you say) is illegal. Religion shouldn’t come into it.

3 Likes

Yeah of course that kind of stuff, forgot to say that.

It’s a bit of a mess, because I don’t think there’s any hard evidence of why he didn’t play. I’m guessing Pochettino will have been told the reasons by him, but other than that it’s not actually proven anywhere. The French FA have asked him to tell them why he didn’t play, but he could just say he was ill. Can’t prove anything else.

The guy from Watford however, who posted on Gueye’s IG account saying ‘A real Man’ of course insinuates what is believed to be the reason for Gueye not playing. That said, even that can’t be 100% proven.

Like I mention earlier in the thread, if you were Gueye for example, and were asked to wear / promote the cause, against all of your religious beliefs, what do you do?

1 Like

Move country and leave if I were PSG management.

Think we are at the point now of zero tolerance of these beliefs. I don’t mind or think it even concerns anyone what people think… but if you’re a public figure who can influence others…. Then that fame and money comes with the territory that you cannot public display these beliefs in countries where homophobia is outlawed or even socially unacceptable.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what happens, as there needs to be proof or an admission. I would suspect there is no written proof, so it’s just one persons word against another.

He should have just played with a normal number on his back, satisfies his beliefs and although could still single him out, at least he’s played the game for his team and stayed true to whatever he believes.

To be honest, it’s all madness now, it doesn’t matter what sexuality you are, we’re essentially all the same. To pick on someone because of their sexuality is absurd.

3 Likes

I would think it wrong to punish someone for their views which they hold privately. The problem would be if they used a public platform to air these views and they were either a) contrary to law or b) incited hatred or violence in some way.

In this particular case, i can’t see the player did anything of that sort. He quietly, and without fuss, didn’t play in a particular game because, to do so, he would have had to have taken an action which offended his personal views. If the football authorities, or even wider authorities, find he has some case to answer, i think that will be rather chilling and have far reaching consequences for wider society.

5 Likes

Quite simply.

In a tolerant society Jake Daniels can be homosexual, but he (or anyone else) doesn’t have the right to force anyone else be they homosexual, hetrosexual or whatever, including anyone with a religious fundamental objection to homosexuality to declare anything in respect of their personal, private views and beliefs in overt support of his lawful right to be homosexual.
Its his business that he’s homosexual, and its everyone else’s business whatever they are, and so long as everyone behaves within the law that should be the end of it. Asking someone to do something beyond that is quite simply telling people how to behave and what to think and say. Just because someone is a footballer shouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference.

1 Like

I think it just becomes a societal pressure thing - if society doesn’t want Gueye to be at PSG - then it will be abundantly clear, and they will sell him.

Like I put up above pal, I couldn’t care less what Gueye thinks (and must be clear on the fact we don’t actually know yet but it’s kinda obvious that he has a religious/cultural indoctrination with regards homophobia/transphobia) in private - but if he’s making a public statement or vocalising these things publically that rejects homosexuality /trans rights… then that’s abhorrent and/or illegal then I couldn’t care less if he loses his job. Zero tolerance - go and work somewhere else.

It might also just be brushed under the carpet like the Zouma cat kicking incident at West Ham.

1 Like

Then shut up about it.

It isn’t illegal to refuse to publically declare support for something. Anyone that wishes to refuse to declare support for something can simply say “my views on this issue are my private business” and that should be the end of that discussion, unless you are suggesting that nobody should be allowed a private view on subjects, and should be forced to make public their views and opinions against their wishes, which when you think about it sounds incredibly intolerant and a lot like fascism.

And what about someone that has a neutral view?

I personally have a completely neutral view of other folk’s sexuality, because frankly I couldn’t give a shit, just as equally and frankly I don’t expect anyone to give a shit about my sexuality.
It’s 2022 and its brilliant that we live in a society (at least in my area) where everyone seems to be going about their business quite happily and equally. I don’t feel the need to virtue signal about my trans friends, or some kid from Blackpool reserves, or my lesbian and gay friends and acqaintences. Likewise I would be horrified if any of them lost their job for failing to wear some virtue signal item of clothing in support of me - as say the demographic with the highest suicide rate.

The differentiator here is between introducing laws to prevent descrimination vs laws to force people to do, say, think something like Canada introduced a few years back and if the woke mob had their way would here. That is a very, very dangerous route to go down as it threatens freedom and introduces authoritarianism.

I.e you can not use homophobic language to someone, that’s good, but you must publically support homosexuality is bad.

Personally, pleased the lad feels confident enough to be open, difficult thing for young people to work out for themselves even if they are in a supportive environment.
Shows how far we’ve come whilst at the same time how far football is lagging behind by vitue that is in any shape or form some kind of big deal at all.

2 Likes

PSG also have 22bet and other various better companies sponsoring the club which is against the Muslim religion.
gueye has not refused to play for the club even though gambling is against his religion!
Are we sure this is him supporting his religion or him merely using his religion as a shield for his homophobia ?

This is a good point, and could be something used against Gueye If action is to be taken against him. Can’t come out with the religious excuse if he’s picking and choosing which bits he fancies taking seriously and which he doesn’t.

2 Likes

Guessing he’s like most religious types. Pick and choose the bits they like or can live with. Would be funny if one of his team mates came out. Wonder what he’d do then…

4 Likes

Indeed. Most religious books are full of violence against the non-believers and, in particular, the apostates.

We do, of course, have a World Cup in a homophobic country later in the year. We know that money changes hands in making these decisions but should major tournaments be held in places with such poor human rights records? And who would decide? Mind you, the last one was in Russia so FIFA could make more of an effort,

3 Likes

To be honest I have very little sympathy for anyone whose religion makes them homophobic :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I agree :grin:

Why does it matter if they’re religious or not?

Christianity is homophobic
Islam is homophobic
Judaism is homophobic

Those religions are the root cause of many of the problems, inequalities and medieval attitudes that exist in the world today.

6 Likes

And sometimes a convenient excuse. For example: Southern USA

1 Like

Surely religion which is a choice shouldn’t trump the right of the lgbtq community which is not a choice?
You cannot help your sexual orientation , you can help believing in a god who hates some of the characteristics they themselves ‘created ‘
So much for religions being loving and pro harmony
Imo gueye is in the wrong big time here

Spot on.

The US is so backwards it’s unreal - and mainly down to the evangelical nutters over there.

California and New England are alright, but the stuff in between…. Wow. Mental.