James Clarke

Our first option most of the time last season was dross, let alone the second/back up option. I know opinions will differ, but I definitely prefer this way and use loans/youngers coming in to cover injuries or suspensions.

1 Like

Exactly. Thatā€™s the gamble. Dilute quality and add cover or have a few quality signings and hope for a relatively clean season of injuries.

If only we had the budget for both.

We have Olly Clarke and Jonson Clarke-Harris - but both are still under contract at the moment!

Very good addition. With his ability to play centre-back or Right-back i would imagine it casts a doubt over Devlin staying now. Canā€™t see us keeping Devlin, Norman and Clarke.

Alsoā€¦ Hereā€™s hoping Clarke turns out as good as the last Defender to reject a deal at Rovers to join usā€¦ A certain Andy Tillson !!!

3 Likes

Interesting that we havenā€™t disclosed the contract length again - same as the Sinclair signing. Would assume it is two years as that is what he had on the table from Rovers.

Maybe we will wait until theyā€™re officially a Walsall player on July 1st? I am merely speculating mind.

1 Like

From what I remember, Sir Ray tried to sign him several times before he actually did. You could see why.Once had to show his wife and kids the way to the ground from the rail replacement bus in Fullbrook.

1 Like

Remember Ian Holloway not being too happy when he joined us either. He was one of those defenders who could read the game and get into position without the need of a last gasp sliding tackle.

3 Likes

Certainly going about strengthening the spine of the team. A keeper must be next (we only have Roberts) and then striker. Will Andy Cook play second fiddle to an incoming transfer?
Welcome to the club James.

1 Like

Looks like a fantastic signing. Spine of a squad who will run through a brick wall for their manager and youā€™re onto a winner.

Great to see the age of signings going up too. These are born winners with the experience to know what it takes.

4 Likes

A second signing in May? Another with a League Two Promotion on the CV?

Glad Iā€™m sat down typing this.

Arenā€™t all centre backs called Clarke decent? That one at Pompey, the one before at Pompey, the dude whoā€™s done the rounds at Bury & Co. All sound. Reads like this oneā€™s got decent pedigree too.

2 Likes

As Iā€™ve said previously our budget should be very competitive this season, this signing is proof of that.

3 Likes

I wouldnt mind us going for Jack Bonham who was also at Rovers last season who was released by Brentford.

Any other Bristol Rovers players available?

Thatā€™ll be our massive parachute payment distorting the game. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If, like me, youā€™re lucky enough to have a toddler, youā€™ll know all about the smash hit of 2018.

Surely to be heard every week at WFC games next season (& merchandising opportunities aplenty, to snare that elusive next generation of supporters)ā€¦

Darrell Clarke, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo,
Darrell Clarke, doo doo doo doo doo doo dooā€¦
Jimmy Clarke, doo doo doo doo doo doo dooā€¦

3 Likes

Would love Liam Sercombe but I think heā€™s still under contract and one they wouldnā€™t want to lose in any case.

2 Likes

Wish we could sign him mate. Like you Iā€™d take him in heartbeat and would certainly compliment our midfield.

Agree Mazza
Good manager spending it well = happy days

Iā€™ll be having on

Has a touch of Pedro or Julian Gray about him. And then there was that Zaboub who was decent for a whileā€¦ sercombe is a very good footballer who would rip up league two: expensive though, I should imagineā€¦