January 2021 Transfer Rumours

I definitely feel he could play at a higher level, and that’s where I see him getting that lucrative 3-5 contract that will ultimately take him from Walsall. If Millwall see potential there’s no reason he can’t compete with the likes of Tom Bradshaw and Matt Smith, but recall Vardy went in to a Leicester side with David Nugent, Chris Wood and Harry Kane on the books. His rise was just a bit extraordinary.

2 Likes

To be fair, at the time Kane and Chris Wood were crap, and Nugent was just Nugent :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I still recall Nugent scoring an absolute beauty against us for Leicester in a friendly, though @RobHarv3y Not sure whether it was the same game that Manset actually looked good or the season after…

2 Likes

It was!

1 Like

To be fair, Nugent scored 16 goals in the Championship that season.

1 Like

I know what you mean, @RobHarv3y and Demontagnac was a similar bad egg, arguably. However, I remember Ishy’s hat trick v Southend like it was yesterday and in league two, any player with a glimpse of skill and quickness of thought will win you points at League Two level. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to Michael Flynn but one look at where Newport County are in the league table will tell you that it is a league of cloggers on muddy pitches. This is why I feel Dan Scarr has grown in confidence this year. Not a very good footballer but a decent hoofer who can be a nuisance in the opposition box for set pieces…

1 Like

I agree with the playing bit I was linking his style of play to him acting the same way in day to day life I feel a players style portrays how they are in life Roy Keane speaks as he use to play etc etc he’s far too good for non league but as you say will probably end up there because of him being a “bad egg”

1 Like

I honestly can’t see Josh wearing a Walsall shirt next season, whether it be he runs his contract out or if we cash in. Doubt we’d get all that much for him now.

I saw a lot of potential in him and was one of the one’s who defended him early last season when it wasn’t going well for him. I liked him best in the spell he had the season before when Cook was suspended and he took up the lone striker role. His off the ball movement is really good, he drags defenders all over the place and occupies two center backs all game, much like Bradshaw did, all be it his finishing and other areas of his game are not as good. Problem being he hasn’t progressed for one reason or another, mostly being played out of position I think. I couldn’t see him stepping up to the Championship personally, but even at 26, there is still room to improve if he gets the right move.

1 Like

For me Gordon is playing at his level, a grafter and fans favourite but for me limited in ability.

2 Likes

He’s got something about him, maybe some of that potential would be realised in a better team in a higher division? But fair point, despite working very hard and being very important to how we play, he’s never been particularly prolific and that’s what tends to get strikers a move up the leagues.

2 Likes

Yes, but is he actually a winger rather than a striker? Depends how he’s seen. I think DC sees him as a winger over being a striker.

Again, I wonder what’s happened to Sam Perry? Does well against Pompey, would have played against Stevenage but for it being off, offered and signs his first pro contract…
Is he injured/out on loan?

Jayden Campbell’s another one I thought might have had a few chances from the bench after impressing pre-season.

Excellent, get Tommy Bradshaw back in part exchange as he’s been on their bench for a few recent games…

Then I work up! Bradshaw would score 30 goals in this league with one eye working so we can dream.

The problem with selling Josh now is with Holden out long term that’s the forward line getting decimated again when all the four of them were starting to get some momentum together.

Guess Scrimmy would get his loan extended and more starts but he’s still a work in progress and think there would be too much reliance on Wes who’d be nulified by opposition doubling up.

Frustration of this season that there’s barely been a run of even 5 games with Gordon-Ade-Holden-Wes all starting.

2 Likes

Bradshaw was just brilliant. Have we had a more natural finisher in the last 20 or so years? Probably only Fryatt that compares in terms of pure composure in front of goal.

5 Likes

Wasn’t Ryan Jarvis the best natural finisher he’d ever see, according to Dean Smith??

1 Like

Seem to remember him playing alone upfront quite a bit and aswell as scoring loads of goals I’ve witnessed him run his knackers off for 90 minutes without reward cracking player.

1 Like

I thought it was Ashley Grimes that he reserved that praise for? :grinning:

3 Likes

It was indeed Ashley Grimes, my bad

5 Likes

What a forward line that would have been, Grimes and Jarvis with N’Goo on the bench. I think N’Goo is our pelanty coach.

6 Likes

N’Goo took the greatest Saddlers pelanty of all time. The scuffle to get the ball set it up, and then the weak pass to the keeper who stopped it dead with his little finger put the tin lid on it. N’Goo is our Pelanty King. :crown:

1 Like