Jealousy

Here’s Kelvin Morton to cheer us all up:

1 Like

Thanks for that…lovely to see some all time favourites in action including dear old Kelvin Morton!!!

I don’t know about sending them off, at least one of those tackles on Kelly would now have seen him in jail :joy:

2 Likes

But just look at what he did - got up and carried on without rolling halfway across the pitch and needing emergency medical treatment just to miraculously stand up again!

That was the thing about Ned - it needed more than the wind off an opponents bootlace to knock him over (unlike most of the players these days); if he could stay on his feet and get back on the ball he would do regardless of how bad the challenge.

1 Like

The thing is though, it doesn’t!

Even during the 15/16 season with one of our best teams in recent history playing some excellent football, the atmosphere was still largely dire.

Safe standing would be a huge step in the right direction imo.

1 Like

I’ve got nothing against safe standing. I would just prefer any cash sloshing around being spent on improving the team.

The atmosphere was massively better in 15/16. A match hardly went by without me having a hoarse throat until at least the following Tuesday. It’s mostly quiet now and that is because there is precious little to cheer on the pitch.

The romantic notion that Fellows Park was always rocking on a Saturday afternoon is just not true. When we were ■■■■■ the atmosphere was too.

1 Like

Best atmosphere to me in recent times was the Preston second leg game. That finished 0-0 but tension and support off the scale. Barnsley could’ve been another but the very disappointing first leg paid end to that.

As others have said it’s hard to rouse yourself when team is just having a boring mid table season. I’d also say in this league most teams bringing mini bus away numbers is hurting things a bit as you’d always get good craic with likes of Coventry, Sheffield clubs or Sunderland bringing good followings and the games having a little more “edge” about them.

There is no edge in any game in this league bar Crewe and Vale in next few weeks perhaps but again lot more fun if Walsall were by Crewe in the table.

Can someone explain what the difference in atmosphere would be if you are stood in a “safe standing area” compared to standing up in front of your seat which the 2 central blocks do anyway? How does standing up now, (as per Blocks 3 and 4 and the rear rows of other blocks) limit anyone’s ability to sing and create an atmosphere?

Genuinely curious to understand this because if the club doesn’t force people to sit behind the goal and allows people to stand (which is what happens now), then what benefit do we gain from the introduction of safe standing?

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but block 3 is 95% people seated apart from when something gets them up like the rest of the ground

Even the bottom few rows of block 4 is now seated and less populated than it used to be - I remember 4 or 5 years ago trying to move from block 3 to 4 most games and couldn’t get a space in there - but with a few moving to the back of block 1 there are more seats spare

I think safe standing would show the club are trying and as people on here have already said, would welcome it - not saying it’s our priority but if it was funded or we had the spare cash, I’d get it started tomorrow

From what I have observed, the vast majority in blocks 3 and 4 stand throughout with just the lower rows seated in the main.

Did I hear correctly at the meeting, that to install safe standing rails it would be £75 per seat and an option to finance it was that each fan in that area paid the extra £75 on their season ticket?

Do not care about the Shrews at all in general. I do wish we were playing Liverpool in the cup though. Could happen next season…

1 Like

Why, are we getting a bye to round three? :joy:

3 Likes

They have a THIRD round?

5 Likes

As someone who hasn’t had a ST in a few years now, I’d happily pay this even knowing I wouldn’t be able to make it to every game