Jonas Mukuna Signs

Fans: we need to develop players
Also fans: why did we sign him?

Best of luck to the lad!

5 Likes

Factual? Is it?

They were that much of a higher quality that in the 4 and half months and 1 transfer window after Fullarton has left, I make it only 5 of the Fullarton era signings between April 21 and April 22 are still here - Monthe, Daniels, Labadie, Earing, Wilkinson.

Fullarton also oversaw the signings of the roaring successes that were Ward, Mills, Ash Taylor, Rodney and Tomlin.

2 Likes

I get that point but if he develops this year we may offer a longer deal and perhaps on much better terms. I may be wrong but I get the feeling our new owners know what they are doing on the revenue uplift we need. Mind you it does depend on the football management team being able to spot and develop youngsters.

3 Likes

Fact better quality? Where’s your evidence of a “couple of thousand”?

Totally miss my point but yeah you stay negative and closed minded pal. It suits you

1 Like

No I didn’t :+1:

I’m all for signing young players with potential but let’s include them in a list of players that we are going to sign to improve the first team - it’s not fair on them and it’s not fair on us. Makuna could turn out out to be a great signing in the longer term but we need shorter term solutions like a decent target man and some defensive cover. We need these players due to poor transfer policy - signing a 37-year old striker who is past it and Abraham and DJT who are just not good enough - and injuries to key defenders such as McEntee and Gordon. We needed strengthening in those areas with good quality players - it ain’t happened and will leave us short of the required quality to compete with the top sides in our division. This has got nothing to do with whether Makuna is a good signing or not.

2 Likes

I don’t get the attitude that should only sign players already at their playing peak ready to command a regular start, and the corollary that any player we do sign must therefore be as good as they can ever be. If all clubs followed that philosophy then where do you expect these “proven” players to all come from as nobody is going to sign them to allow then to develop to start with? The same with young managers.

Mukuna didn’t exactly shine during the relatively few minutes he was given pre-season, but I wouldn’t say he stunk either. MF obviously thinks he has potential even if he’s not 1st team ready for this Saturday, and maybe only a bit part player at best for the rest of the season (he is only 17 after all). If he lives up to expectation and improves to become a regular for us, or better still gets to a level where he brings us in a transfer fee, then surely that is better business than letting him go to another team then it being us having to pay a fee to get him later on in his career?

BTW I read the announcement of his signing as being more on a par with that of our other 1st year professionals from our own academy being given their first contracts than a fanfare of him being the real deal, oven ready, answer to our prayers. Only time will tell whether he will be our next Ned Kelly, Scott Dann, or Troy Deeney (or maybe a Milan Butterfield?) who all had similar starts to their careers with us.

6 Likes

Good job that doesn’t exist then. But when a player is shit preseason, of a young age, when we already have questionable depth and quality in the first team, and indeed our own youth team players already here, then people won’t be doing back flips when he is announced.

Nobody is expecting back flips, however, a bit of perspective maybe?

3 Likes

One thing we are unaware of is any long term strategic thinking. We know about Brentford’s data driven approach and Peterborough’s pay fees for lower league attacking players hoping they can sell at a profit. Who knows if we are trying to promote young players who have strayed off the path albeit due injury etc in the belief we can get them back on track for a profit or to benefit the team.
I don’t know not sure anyone on this board knows but just maybe we need to look at these type of signings in a new way for a new approach
Just a thought

Well you can cut that out straightaway…

2 Likes

Can’t provide you with a list. What I would say its definetely more than a handful :rofl:

Good post. I don’t know for certain but I think we are seeing a new approach. We have signed a number of young players who just might become really good players . We know that Americans are very good at raising revenue and I think this is one part of their strategy. It is of course dependent on the management team being able to identify and the coach such players making them assets either to be sold or fixtures in the first team.

Seems we have a new long term view of signings and i feel this year is a building bricks season.The youth team has been poor for years and we need to sign and develop youth,good to see us also signing non league players.
By next summer with 5 players out hopefully fit Flynn will have a better view of his first 11/18 for 2023/4season

2 Likes