Josh Gordon returns

I can see that point of view. I guess we had a draper sized hole to fill and we also don’t really know how long matt and oteh will be out for.
Oteh can play on the wing / wide as well which gives us that option in games.

He’s deffo an upgrade on Matt and James Taylor and with the way Sadler wants to play and press he’ll suit the system more… We need another striker ( draper style ) and a right wing back

3 Likes

With Oteh coming back isn’t he nearly exactly the same type of player as Gordon ?

Oteh plays much wider than Gordon.

1 Like

Oteh was on loan here during Gordon’s first season. Can’t remember if they played together that much.

I’d much rather him than a development player from a premier or championship team Draper is an exception most of them over the years have come here and been absolutely crap good luck Josh :+1:

10 Likes

Eh, liked him as a bloke and felt like he was a bright spark in a shit team before. He definitely regressed the longer he was here.

I am hoping and praying that he has been signed to play alongside DJ and help do the dog work for him.

But I think deep down that it will be DJT or Matt with Gordon soon enough.

9 Likes

I’m OK with that.

Definitely fits the two up top model and runs his socks off. Added goals to that work rate at Barrow but struggled at the higher level. Even our best players would struggle at the higher level just now so that’s no shame.

Great that we’ve four viable centre forwards again. So different to a few seasons ago.

If we need forty goals to have a good run in then I think this squad has them:

Gordon - 8
DJ - 7
Hutch -7
Matt - 4
DJT - 4
Earing 4
Others - 6

Nobody particularly pulling up massive trees there. Gordon not expected to replicate Drape but still weigh in.

4 Likes

He was don’t forget the dross he was playing with and playing upfront on his own feeding off aimless hoofballs a lot of the time in his last season here.

4 Likes

These stats make for interesting reading given how MS wants his forward players to play:

https://x.com/kamcavanagh/status/1745509692267246034?s=46&t=kfUO4C5lMS44-glXxumn-A

Hoping it will be a shrewd bit of business.

1 Like

Agree no one will replicate Draper unless the club are going to break the league 2 record for a transfer fee which is never happening we could have done a lot worse or took a gamble like last January on injured players.

Didn’t he have some person issues the summer Clarke came in?

He was good at Barrow for sure at this level but obviously the Burton move hasn’t worked out, had no idea he’d even moved there so guess he just wants to stay local and play regularly at a level he’s comfortable with.

I think this is DJ’s replacement in the squad tbh.

3 Likes

I have the same feelings I had about Stevens and Matt to replace Johnson last year. Hopefully I will be proved wrong this year. I hate January.

4 Likes

Yeah I did think DJ replacement when I saw him mentioned as opposed to a Draper one.

1 Like

If its to play alongside DJ ok i think that could work. If its to replace DJ then my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered

4 Likes

Happy with this. He was played out wide towards the end of his time here, which didn’t suit him or as it turned out, us. Playing more central, particularly off DJ or Matt should be much better. He’s a grafter and a team player, which suits Sadler to a tee.
Welcome back Josh.

12 Likes

Think we must be struggling to get anyone in. Every club is looking for the same. Not many tickets are going to be sold on the back of this signing but at least we know what we are getting. I get concerned when the contracts are extended in January because it would be natural for players to take the foot of the gas with little motivation but at least this looks like a player who will be playing for a contract.

It’s not exciting, however, his work rate is top drawer and the difference this time, is there are goals in the team already. This could be better than we think.

4 Likes

The fact that he’s been signed relatively early in the window, with strong rumours for a while even before then, suggests to me he was the intended target should Draper get recalled. That’s a contrast to recent windows, which had more the feel of us only starting to look when we had to.

2 Likes

If this is the Draper replacement, gulp. Wouldn’t show ambition to me

2 Likes