Joss Labadie Signing

Another tough tackling midfielder! Not sure we need another one but he does have goals, experience and leadership which we do actually need.

Walsall Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of Joss Labadie from Newport County on a two-year contract.

The midfielder will officially join the Saddlers on July 1st upon the expiry of his contract at Rodney Parade.

The 30-year-old has spent the last five seasons with the Exiles and captained the club for the previous four.

He played 146 times in South Wales, scored 19 goals and helped the club reach two play-finals. He netted six times in the 2020-21 season, including the winner at the Banks’s Stadium back in February.

Labadie began his career at West Bromwich Albion and enjoyed loan spells at Shrewsbury Town, Cheltenham Town and Tranmere Rovers before moving to the then League One side on a permanent basis in the summer of 2010.

After two seasons at Prenton Park, where he found the net 10 times, he joined Notts County. After 18 months at Meadow Lane, he left for Torquay United, then in League Two, in January 2014.

He left at the end of the 2013-14 season and signed for Dagenham & Redbridge where he scored seven times and made 61 appearances before his switch to Newport in 2016.

Labadie is delighted to join the Saddlers and can’t wait to get going.

“I’m buzzing to be here,” he said. “It’s an amazing club, with an amazing stadium and an amazing manager. I can’t wait to get started.

“The club in itself is a League One club for me and I want to try and play my part in getting us to that level.

“I had a meeting with Matt and it was really productive, really positive and the prospect of playing under him with his ideas and philosophy was very attractive.”

The transfer is subject to EFL, FA and international clearance.

4 Likes

Scored against us in Feb.

2 Likes

Always admired him when we’ve come up against him.

Excellent excellent signing.

3 Likes

“It’s an amazing club, with an amazing stadium and an amazing manager. I can’t wait to get started."

Great that Taylor has pulling power but amazing stadium?! Has he been shown a blueprint for a new one or what?!

In all seriousness, a great bit of business that is. I expect he’ll take the Captains armband.

2 Likes

Brilliant signing that is. Excellent track record at this level and has that bit of bite that you need to be successful in this division.

2 Likes

Very happy with the first two signings

1 Like

A good signing.A tough ,no nonsense midfielder who will no doubt be made Captain. Kinsella to right back methinks.

2 Likes

Happy with this. Another tidy footballer.

1 Like

It is amazing compared to Newport!!! The pitch is also a little better!!!

6 Likes

whats going on we are signing players i rate and have actually heard of another good signing this one.

3 Likes

Am I seeing this correctly?

We are actually competing with other League 2 clubs to take their best players off them?

6 Likes

That’s true… wait until he sees our amazing training ground too.

2 Likes

My word. Lump on. Superb.

4 Likes

Good grief. So that is what Taylor has gone for then. Someone with bite and experience to Marshall the midfield. There may be another attacking mid but he’ll be young I reckon. Cracking signing.

3 Likes

Another solid league 2 signing, I like it. :+1:

Pretty decent for Newport although didn’t he get a long ban for biting a few years ago?

Really good start to window anyway, two proven performers in league the club are in so refreshing change to transfer policy since around 2016.

2 Likes

I have always really really rated labadie. Experienced solid midfielder at league 1/2 level.
He also rejected a new contract!
What the hell is going on? Is this actually gonna be really exciting? This management combo defo have some serious pulling power What a start!!

6 Likes

I can’t claim to know to much about him, was a first team regular last season?

Played 38/46 games in the league last season, was Newports captain and got 6 goals in all competitions.

1 Like

Very tidy player. Drives Newport on. Perfect for this level.

3 Likes