Kelly & Wrack

How about Gary Johnson Torquay manager ?

I think he might want to wait until the end of the season just in case the clubs have swapped divisions!

For me now is not the time to be messing about , if heā€™s willing I would ask Richard Money , even if it is only short term we desperately need to steady the ship .
He can upset as many people as he likes , but if he gets the points needed thatā€™s fine . .

2 Likes

Not sure about Wrack, hasnā€™t he mainly worked as an agent since retiring?

I donā€™t get the negativity about David Kelly. Guy worke as a number 2 for years in championship so heā€™s very over qualified if he was brought into backroom staff for rest of the season for the sorry level the club is at nowadays.

Guess people still have a hang up about him quitting within a week of becoming DS number 2 but that was just a very unique set of circumstances, didnā€™t Oā€™Kelly go off somewhere else aswell and then he came back aswell and continued the good work under DS?

2 Likes

Yes I would take him. However I believe he is settled in the South West and Torquay are currently 3rd in the league. I donā€™t think we could majorly offer him anything better than at Torquay.

Ps Iā€™m praying we stay up and Torquay come up!! :pray::crossed_fingers:

If the Chairman takes the route of bringing someone in to help Dutton, then presumably Kelly would be a reasonable option. He has held down the position of Assistant Manager at a number of clubs, under a number of managers, for the best part of 20 years. I donā€™t know whether that means heā€™s any good or not. He should certainly be able to help the strikers if nothing else.
If he does come in, or anyone as assistant for that matter, then he would need to be listened to and the advice taken on board. ERNIE would have to returned to those Premium Bond people and consistency of personnel and play would need to be quickly established.

2 Likes

No. Assistant manager yes, but someone new. Iā€™m surprised BD didnā€™t ask for one.

Not for me either.

Donā€™t get the negative vibes for Ned. He coached some decent players in the championship not long ago.
Then again if asked heā€™d probably run a mile from this lot.

5 Likes

No issue with Ned in terms of his credentials as an experienced number two. If Dutton were to remain in position until the end of the season, he would be ideal as an experienced number 2.

However, if Dutton leaves we must avoid another either ex Walsall legend or short-term appointment again.

1 Like

Love them both but donā€™t want memories ruined by the risk of it going pear shaped.

2 Likes

Too late, itā€™s already gone pear shaped under this clown

Donā€™t like the idea of just throwing a random experienced head in there. If they donā€™t share similar philosophies then it could be even worse. Unfortunately we either get rid of Dutton now and bring in a new man and his own assistant, or we keep Dutton and let him find his own assistant in the summer.

1 Like

Since Wracky managed to play over 150 games in 4 seasons in the First Division, limited only by injury in 2003-04, and didnā€™t look out of place at that level, to say that he only had ā€œone good seasonā€ is a monumentally crass comment.
If he hadnā€™t suffered injury in that season, and we hadnā€™t had to use inferior replacements as a result, we may have stayed up and even avoided the Merson managerial debacle.

16 Likes

I agree, I thought it was disgusting. Wholly disingenuous opinion on a man who loves this club and competed competently at a high level (for a long time) whilst playing for it.

Keep such opinions in Arizona behind your keyboard David. Pleb.

2 Likes

Wracky was a brilliant player for us, and in several different positions. Always worked hard, and often did the unglamorous stuff, dropping back to cover defenders who had marauded forward, regularly being the bloke who stayed on the half way line when we had a corner.
But I think what I liked very best about him is that he started that mass brawl at Pompey and then ran off. :joy:

7 Likes

Pretty sure Wracky is a football agent, guess he wouldnā€™t be up for a pay cut anyway.

4 Likes

Kelly would bring a wealth of experience to our extremely poor strike force

3 Likes

Seem to remember he acted as Keatesā€™ agent when he joined as manager.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s right mate he did