L 1-0 vs Harrogate Town (H) - League Two - Sat 11th Nov, 3pm

Back to League Two action this Saturday as we play host to Harrogate Town in a battle of 15th vs 19th.

The Sulphurites arrive on the back of an FA Cup First Round victory against non-league side, Marine A.F.C., whom they dispatched 5-1 away from home. This should give them some form of confidence heading into the fixture, although it is worth noting that they have only scored 15 goals in their 16 league fixtures this season, which is the lowest in the league. In comparison, they have conceded 22 goals so have a decent enough defence.

The.visitors are managed by Simon Weaver, who just may have been given the job by his father, Irving Weaver, who happens to be the club chairman. That said, Weaver Jnr. has done a good job in securing their League Two status over the past few season so is there on merit as it stands.

Harrogate Town’s recent form is below:

The Saddlers head into this game on the back of a 4-1 victory in The FA Cup First Round away at Step 8 side, Sheppey United, and will be looking to use this result as a kick-start to the remainder of the league campaign.

Douglas James-Taylor was the preferred option up front in that game, scoring a goal, but proving himself not very clinical from other chances he had. Will Mat Sadler keep him in that position following that performance, or should be be back on the bench? A lot will depend on the fitness of Freddie Draper who at the time of writing is still considered to be injured, whilst Danny Johnson must surely be wondering what is going on, after being brought onto the pitch in the 90th minute on Friday evening.

If Draper isn’t fit, then surely we have to go with DJ? Thoughts on this are welcome.

We have a few injury doubts still, so if none of those clear up we may well stick with a similar side to that we put out at Sheppey. David Okagbue will be looking to make the second CB spot alongside Donervon Daniels his own, and after two encouraging performances in a row, he could well do that.

Rollin Menayese made a welcome return to action after 9 months out on Friday, and he should be on the bench again this weekend. I believe he could actually play a big part in our season after Christmas if he can prove himself fit.

Who makes your starting XI for this game? Do we stick to Friday evening’s lineup, or twist?

This is a game that we should surely be looking to win if there is to be absolutely anything going on with our season, other than a potential cup run?

Enjoy the game, and let’s all hope we are celebrating three points at home!

UTS

Walsall vs Harrogate Town - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Harrogate Town Win

0 voters

1 Like

This is one of those games that on paper looks like we should win… so I reckon in typical Walsall fashion we’ll lose 0-2 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Draper to return and help us win 2-0

Draw for me
1-1
We will go back to out low possession stats and try hot on the counter which without draper wont be as effective
Tierney to score 37th minute
We concede 84th minute from a deep cross after we sit back second half and forget how to play
Knowles to dive do nothing and be booed by me

1 Like

I’ve stuck my neck out for a Walsall win, in fairness they aren’t the greatest team in the division but then neither are we.
Hope DJ gets a start if Draper is still injured because regardless of what Sadler keeps saying it’s becoming very odd that he can’t get one . Putting him on so late in the Sheppey game felt like a joke to me.

2 Likes

Yeah.

6 Likes

Does anybody know how Harrogate play? Formation? Style? Tactics? Best players?

One defeat in six in all competitions, one defeat in seven after Saturday I am sure.

1 Like

I think an encouraging 3-1 home victory.

1 Like

Think @PT went to see them at Marine so he might have some insights. From highlights looked like they have a very fast striker :flushed:

1 Like

Still trying to figure out Walsall and I watch them every week.

11 Likes

“Does anyone know how Harrogate play?”

Badly by all accounts😁

Yep, one point more badly than us. :grin:

You say that, but they won 5-1 at the weekend and are only a point behind us in the league. This is no walkover

Anyone know if the undercroft is in use on Saturday?

:woozy_face:

I, along with a couple of hundred other unfortunates, witnessed their demolition job on us at their place, in April, which resulted in the end of Flynn’s tenure.
Although we were shite that evening, Harrogate were good on the eye and fully deserved the win.
I’m going for a home win though, 2-0 or 2-1.

2 Likes

Why are you looking for somewhere to park the Bentley

You shouldn’t be going anywhere near anyones undercroft until that whole genital warts situation has been sorted.

8 Likes

Walsall 3-1.

DJ to start and score. Hutch and i’ll go for the controversial… DJT off the bench to score the 3rd late on.

2 Likes

Genuine question.

When was the last time we won 3 league games on the spin?