L 1-0 vs Leicester City (H) - FA Cup Round Four - Sat 28th Jan, 12:30pm

Which bookies has those odds on this happening mate? I’d have thought it would have been odds on :laughing:.

1 Like

I can’t help but think of when Bolton visited and their Premiership talent/class was so great they barely got out of second gear.

Even a struggling top tier team is still top tier. Underdog has become a fashionable term and it’s often forgot the definition of underdog is they lose the big tie in almost all scenarios.

Don’t see a way around a 0-3 or 0-4.

1 Like

One thing for sure, if we want a chance of an upset we are going to have to get right behind the lads and sing like we’ve never song before and even more so if we go behind.

3 Likes

Win, lose or draw does it really matter?

Tomorrow is really about celebrating both our off field and on field progression, everyone should just go along and enjoy the day.

2 Likes

The best thing I heard and I’m not sure where i heard it or read was this…

Stockport was the cup final. Tomorrow is our prize. Enjoy it. Get behind the players, make sure they enjoy it no matter how tough it might be.

There are bigger more important games coming up where the actual result matters more.

2 Likes

Yes, to me it does. I want to win.

2 Likes

Point is it won’t define our Season, the next few league games might.

Fingers crossed mind.

3 Likes

I’m not sure. I think the 74-75, 77-78, 83-84 seasons and a few more of ours are defined by a handful of cup games. You’re right, we might win promotion, and if we do that’s what we will mostly remember, but everyone in the greater football world will remember us beating Leicester.
Where did Hereford finish in the Southern League in 1971-72, and what about Wrexham in 91-92? Hardly anyone knows, or cares, but they know about one game from those seasons.

You are probably correct, and I expect most fans would agree with you, but I’m an old romantic, and I’ve waited too long for us to be on the right end of a proper cup shock.

4 Likes

Absolutely. Right now, we rightly think that Salford on Tuesday is more important to the context of our season. But in 10/20/30 years time, none of us will care or really remember too much about a win at Salford on a Tuesday night in January. A win against a team three divisions higher than you is remembered forever. In fact, have we ever as a fourth tier side, beat a top flight side? Leicester are allegedly the 17th richest club in the world. It’s hard to rank these things, but it would certainly be up there with the biggest/best results in our history if we win.

3 Likes

As it’s an FA Cup match,I assume there’s no video on ifollow just radio commentary.

should be able to watch on the iplayer app with a VPN i imagine

Correct, no iPlayer video for FA Cup games.

If you have access to it (Freeview, Freesat, Sky, BT or Virgin), the game will be screened live on the BBC red button channel (aka RB 1) and iPlayer.

I agree - I’'ll hazard a guess that I’m approximately of the same vintage as you - and was a 9 year old kid in 75. Those games against Man U and Newcastle changed me from an occasional attender to a regular for decades to come. We might not win on Saturday but if we give it our best who knows - and as long as win or lose we give a good account of ourselves and give the crowd something to shout about we have the chance of winning over a new generation of fans.

it saddens me to see how the top teams field weakened sides in what was the greatest cup competition in the world and that their fans can’t be arsed to turn out and watch them quite often. And our pathetic record in both FA and league cup in recent years even more so. I love it that MF doesn’t look at it like that - and can see the benefits. Maybe that old phrase ‘the romance of the cup’ isn’t dead after all - even if on MOTD on Saturday night we won’t see a twinkly eyed Jimmy Hill say ‘could 4th division Walsall get the better of 1st division Leicester? Lets find out shall we - over to John Motson at a packed Bescot Stadium’.

3 Likes

No but watch it on the tele!

I’d say the real chance of us winning is around 1 in 20. I am expecting to lose. It is true that cup runs can lead to confidence in the league but losing the Milk Cup semi-final cost us promotion.

You’ve got a point there. Still, it was a hell of a ride!!!

1 Like

Controversial opinion, but Buckley cost us promotion that season. In my opinion that is.

1 Like

I believe he moved to Australia so might still be living over there, but I think it would rouse our fans even more if the club had Alun Evans as a special guest at the game tomorrow.

I was 13 for that cup run, so yes. All those armchair fans at school “supporting” ManUre were suddenly a little less cocky. Good times.

And I think you are right, our awfulness in the cup in recent seasons (nearly twenty) hasn’t helped, and has led a lot of our younger fans to wonder what all the fuss is about.

3 Likes

Exactly how I feel, although my preference would be to win both.

We haven’t, have we? Came close against Dirty Leeds in '95, was it the second minute of injury time when they equalised? Something like that.

We did beat West Ham in the League Cup in '94, but as it was two legs they knocked us out so not sure if it counts.

1 Like

That is an interesting view. Why do you think that?

I wonder if Shakey will be at the game tomorrow?