L 1-0 vs Leyton Orient (A) - League Two - Sat 17th Sept, 3pm

1/4 mile from Leyton tube station.

Another tough game (arenā€™t they all in this division?).
We are so unpredictable at the moment, Playing Bradford off the park and coming home with nothing, then really struggle at home against a team who had lost all of their away games.
Iā€™m on the fence with this fixture. Weā€™re either going to get hammered or win the game.
Clarke has to come back in at CH to make the defence a little tighter and if weā€™re to get anything out of this game, we have to attack them with players like Knowles, Maddox, Bennett, Allen, Earing, DJ and RAM.
The scary thing about his game is Wellens is no mug and will know exactly how to play us, letā€™s hope Flynn has done his homework.

I personally canā€™t see that happening and whilst Iā€™ve asked for more attacking football myself thereā€™s always a balance to be struck one of which flynn is still trying to find it seems.I have no doubt that whilst we looked more threatening in the second half Tuesday night Flynn would not have been happy with how open we looked on the counter so thatā€™ll be playing on his mind for sure in my opinion.

Thatā€™s a bugga mate.

1 Like

It certainly is mate.

2 Likes

I guess that going on the attack was wishful thinking on my part. Flynnā€™s got to do something to turn around the winless streak, he has no more money for players so thatā€™s not an option.
IMHO, Joe Riley was the signing of the season and will make a big difference when he returns from injury as will Wilkinson.
We have all of theses midfielders but choose to play out of the back and hoof (prayer balls) down the wings, itā€™s very frustrating to watch week after week.
The two biggest problems we have (imo) are very experienced defenders making schoolboy errors and our inability to convert the chances created. Iā€™m still trying to figure out how we only scored one goal at Bradford!
Iā€™ve no doubt we have the players for a little success. MF is still tinkering with the formation(s) and weā€™re all trying to figure out what Flynn is trying to figure out.

1 Like

This is the sort of game thatā€™s perfect for us at the moment. No expectations. Freedom to play away from home. Very similar to Bradford where we should have got something. Iā€™m going for 1-1 but we could nick this.

Can only see an Orient win. Not going there myself, first Saturday game Iā€™m missing as my mourning for the Queen continues.

Game depends for me on midfield play kinsella and comley togetger doesnā€™t work. If their chosen then i go for layton win. If kinsella white are dropped then maybe we could nik it.

I can see Flynn going with the formation he played at Bradford for this one but make them well aware that they need to bury chances.Kinsella and Comley worked that day as regards how many chances we created the result on the other hand didnā€™t reflect that so for me if we can finish a couple of chances we have a shout of getting something.

1 Like

Much of the midfield selection will hinge on the reasons MF took Comley off at half time v Colchester for. If he took him off due to performance I donā€™t see him or white starting.

Itā€™s possible he took him off because he was on a booking but so was hutchinson and he chose to move him deeper alongside Kinsella as a tactical change.

Personally Iā€™d always have Kinsella in this side. He does what other players donā€™t do and is the only player of his ilk in the sqaud.

Itā€™ll also depend on his reasons for leaving out Peter Clarke. Was he saving him for this tricky away trip or was he dropped following the defending v Grimsby and Bradford?

Iā€™d stick with a back four and Iā€™d stick with Kinsella and Hutchinson.

Left back will be Monthe or Allen (depending on Clarke playing)

I think Williams will play so it could even be a diamond midfield or Knowles will start as a wide player.

1 Like

Fancy him to score tomorrow if Iā€™m honest mate.

An away day I always try to attend but giving London a miss . Have family and friends there and they say itā€™s rammed on public transport . Hope Iā€™m wrong but fear an Orient win ,they look strong this season

2 Likes

I fancy us for some reason. It would be very Walsall like to go and win there and their unbeaten start to the season will end sometime soon you would think.

I remember us going there about 7 or 8 years ago, after Orient won their first 7 or so, and getting a draw with 10 men. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if something similar happens again.

I remember that one. We should have won. They couldnā€™t get the ball off us, I think we had something like 65% possession.

Difficult team selection.

Williams has to partner Johnson
Knowles and Maddox should start
Bennett has to start (if fit)
Daniels and Monthe will start
I think Comley and Kinsella should start against the league leaders away from home.

Personally I prefer 3-4-1-2, but donā€™t know how to fit the right people in the right positions.
I think Knowles is a #10 and not a wing back, which leads me to playing 4-4-2

Evans
Bennett Clarke Daniels Monthe
Maddox Kinsella Comley Knowles
Williams Johnson

Flynn making another remark in the video just put up by the club saying that Orientā€™s manager has been backed and got the players in that he wanted :smile:

A massively tough fixture, as DavidUSA pointed out there are no easy games at this level but this one looks especially difficult. The Breyer Group Stadium is never an easy place to go, and given Orients start I would snap your hand off for a point.

Hope we can start with the intensity we finished the Colchester game, slow starts are becoming a trait of this team, and will continue to punish us.

Not attending this one unfortunately due to prior commitments.

Flynn needs to stop sulking now and concentrate on the players hes signed and getting them to produce results on the pitch.

Im sure it was Flynn who said a big wage budget doesnā€™t guarantee promotion.

4 Likes