L 2-0 vs Mansfield Town (A) - League Two - Sat 15th Jan, 3pm

1 Like

Thanks
More than fair from Edwards, perhaps even generous regarding a couple of players.

He’s always fair in my opinion and harsh but fair too at times.Certainly didn’t pull any punches last weekend at Stevenage but I personally thought with the reaction from the fans at the game this weekend that he’d have been harsher than he was.I’m hoping he hasn’t been warned behind the scenes and told that the club aren’t happy with his write ups when he’s pretty much slagging them all off.

3 Likes

7 hours of trains to watch the same old same old tactics that are so clearly not working week after week. No fan of Clough but he knows how to organise a league 2 football team. The turn out by the fans was awesome, saw some great mates and had a great chat with a few Mansfield fans both before and after the match. Great day in some ways but as usual let down by the shambolic shower of shit on the pitch.

4 Likes

You are bang on there. The first couple of years were bad we finished 16th and then 15th which is round about where we are now. The following season we made the playoffs and then the season after we finished 10th although we were at least in the hunt for a playoff place most of that season and if I recall rightly we still had a very slight chance of the playoffs on the last day of the season, and there was a bit of a mini protest after that game.

We have made zero progress since being relegated. In fact, you could argue we have got worse. I was looking at the league table this morning. All of a sudden I am looking down it without really bothering to look up. I can’t see us getting relegated, the bottom 3 have taken 8 points out of their last 5 games between them. It would take some kind of mega collapse for 2 of those to catch us. However we are only 3 points above where we finished last season. We can easily get dragged down there.

Even more worrying for the future is that you can just feel it that one of these seasons we will get stuck in that bottom two, and would you honestly have any faith at all in the lot that run our club to get us out of it?

5 Likes

I’ve been sitting here this morning wondering what the thought process was with the managers appointment and that’s not having a go at Matt he’s here now and having to see first hand what this club behind closed doors is all about.

I’m guessing Matt is on a decent screw so why has the chairman gone for someone who has no experience of managing mens football teams yes he’s played I know that but it’s different managing a team and especially one with older men.It’s nowhere near the same as U23 management the younger lads are fitter so the training is different they may have more respect and listen more than the older guys and look up to Matt more than this lot do in the changing room.Surely the appointment should have been one that knows mens football for one and then knows this league inside out your Keith Hills etc etc.

I can’t help but thinking we’d be higher in the league by now with that type of appointment I reckon we’d be tighter at the back I reckon we’d be 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 and that’s not a go at the manager like I’ve said he’s here now and is probably realising what poison there is inside the stadium.

Matt’s a decent guy he’s trying I have no doubt but if he doesn’t either ditch this formation for something else or if he doesn’t sign players that are comfortable in the formation he has his heart set on it will stagnate and that’s not what I want to pay to see.

1 Like

Yeah, because they’re doing well aren’t they.

Keith Hill at Scunthorpe
Keith Curle sacked from Oldham
Paul Tisdale at Stevenage

Not exactly glowing references for them.

1 Like

How’s that got anything to do with how they’d have done here? They could have done really well here.None of us know do we because we have Matt.Sometimes things click and all I’m saying is they have experience of this league and mens football how they are doing now is irrelevant because I’m on about if they were here and they aren’t.

We are a good experienced team apparently.

Curle did a good job at Northampton.

Scholes tried and failed at Oldham.
I think Wellens was there too (who did a cracking job at Swindon and is now free).

Even Sir Alex would struggle at Oldham.

My point is that, as long as we remain a league club, we remain a fairly attractive proposition for a certain type of lower league manager.

I’m not saying that I want Matt Taylor to go; however, if he remains rigid and stubborn in picking his favourites, isolating loyal players like Kinsella (and even Rose who hasn’t been treated that well) and persisting in one up top, the fans will quickly turn. Ward playing every game and Miller having the ball lumped up to him (when marked by 2 centre halves) is getting beyond a joke now and MUST be addressed as a matter of urgency.

He also needs to stop the cliches about how “supremely talented” our squad it is, who created “loads of chances” and it is “imperative” that we “work hard and get back to the training ground”. Just say, “It’s not good enough and we know that we have to address it. We can see what the fans can see and all that we ask is that they stick with us because their loyalty is something that we don’t take for granted. We have funds available but we’re not going to go into specific figures publicly; however, we know that the squad need help and we assure fans that players will be incoming this month to help us with our collective cause of winning football matches. My chairman expects this and our fans deserve it. The players know that it has not been good enough so far this season but they are determined to give something back and get a run of wins together to push us up the table.”

3 Likes

Yesterday was probably the straw that broke the camels back for me.
Once again fantastic support for this inept excuse of a football club that is rotten from top to bottom.

From seeing the team sheet at 2pm to trudging away from the ground it was just a horrible experience that I can’t see myself or the other 4 with me repeating anytime soon until wholesale changes are made in every aspect ( ownership/board/management and players).

We’re shit and we’re sick of it.

Another thread compares Pomlett to Bonser. Yesterday’s performance following the Stevenage debacle leaves me in no doubt that we are in a far worse state than under the previous owner.

It’s a shambles.

2 Likes

Like writing a letter to a drunken Father Christmas and ending up with a pack of socks, in this mysteriously invisible transfer window (as far as Bescot is concerned) we will get precisely none of the above.
As Matt says we have an extremely talented group of players capable of doing great things…if only.
In the meantime loyal fans will continue to waste their time and money watching this ‘shambolic shower of shite on the pitch’ as Belgian so eloquently puts it.

One thing is clear (hoping not to inflame those on an earlier thread - so am just stating a matter of fact), is that we are dearly paying the price for Monthe’s conduct while at Tranmere. It’s Walsall who are suffering the consequences through no fault of their own.

1 Like

Matty Taylor will be a multi millionaire for a guess so I don’t think he will hang around if things get toxic.

I do wonder whether it is possible for our on-pitch fortunes to improve whilst there is a general malaise around the club.

It feels like Bonser exiting, albeit in name only, has somehow made our existence even more pointless. With Bonser as Chairman, we had a reason to be angry at the board, somewhere to focus our energy. Now he’s not there, we don’t have that.

That is in no way praise for JWB, in fact, our current plight is a result of his unwillingness to tackle the unsustainable rent situation he got the club in to for selfish reasons.

I feel like this malaise feeds in to the club’s strange unwillingness to strive for success. It’s always a “project”, always “it takes time”, we’re always 2 years of patience away from success but pressures of modern football mean patience only ever extends to 1 year. Really and truthfully, the club is rudderless, aware of it’s own inherent flaws.

9 Likes

Used to go everywhere with my dad back in those days as well never missed a game wherever or whenever it was can’t say I would do that to watch this team.

2 Likes

His non appearance on the pitch yesterday has worried me tbh mate he’s such a hardworking player and him winning a ball back or sliding in and making a hard challenge(without getting sent off :roll_eyes:) can sometimes feed to other players and bring their levels up at the moment these players looked distant is the word I’d use.

2 Likes

Me and my old man went to Peterborough on a New Year’s Day and Bury on a Tuesday night like others on here you have @enniskillen who travels so many miles to watch it’s an amazing feat and so loyal but we couldn’t even be arsed to go to Mansfield yesterday it’s only up the road.If we were 3rd in the league and playing well you’d have taken 1500 plus to that game yesterday.

2 Likes

Kinsella would be the first player on the team sheet because:

1.) He gives EVERYTHING for the cause.
2.) He’s low maintenance and has no ego.
3.) He rarely gets sent off.
4.) He genuinely cares, never sulks and APPRECIATES the fans.
5.) like you say, @Scooby2167, he will always risk injury to block a goal bound effort. Fans love effort and teammates see how the fans react and add an extra 10%.

Maybe, at home, we don’t need two holding midfielders, and we do seem to have a lot of bang average number 10s.

Earing clearly is the golden boy and I can see he’s got something. However, Labadie is constantly injured or suspended so it’s not as if we can rely on him anyway. I genuinely thought we’d got a midfield general when we signed him but now I can see why he’s never played at a higher level, sadly.

4 Likes

Same mate, me and my Dad never missed a game. I still go to enough games now but it feels like hard work in a way it never used to.

I was sat on the coach on the way back yesterday half hearing a few conversations going on around me. People talking about knocking it on the head altogether. I know people say a lot of things after another defeat I have done it myself but they weren’t angry conversations. I really worry where we will be in a few years time.

1 Like