L 2-1 vs Barrow (A) - League Two - Tue 16th Aug, 7:45pm

Toss up between Barrow and Sutton for the worst ground I’ve ever seen us play at in a league match. Considering I went to places like Belle Vue, Springfield Park and the Shay back in the day that is saying something! But really looking forward to this, my 1st match of the season due to train strikes and being unwilling to fork out over £100 to get to Newport on train. Sounds like the team needs freshening up a bit after Saturday’s performance, be interesting to see what MF does

3 Likes

I would have liked Bennett to start against Stevenage and after White performance on Saturday, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bennett start.

Abraham should come in for Williams, as he played 100 minutes on Saturday and was blowing out his arse at the end and I would like to see either Maher or Knowles come in for Hutchinson, who I think has been ineffective in the last two games.

Be interesting to see how Flynn goes with this one as he has mentioned the distance and then another long trip to Gillingham for Saturday.

1 Like

Yep it’s a tough week and I’d be happy to come out the other end without losing a game.I agree totally with Bennett for White btw :+1:t2:

1 Like

I understand why Flynn plays White against certain teams due to his added physical presence, but the formation we play requires our wing-backs to be attacking outlets.

I don’t think White has the same impact in this area as Bennett in the performances i’ve seen so far. There were a few occasions on Saturday where players were wanting White to overlap and push on and he just sat back. If this were Bennett he has the energy and ability to push further forwards, giving us another outlet.

Tbh, it is nice to have (good) alternatives in the squad.

2 Likes

Maybe we were a little spoiled after the Hartlepool game, but the performances since then have been average at best.
I hope Flynn doesn’t make the same mistake as he made with the subs on Saturday, not bringing on Timmy for Williams cost us 2 points imho.
I think we will see some changes for the Barrow game. Bennett in for White and maybe Knowles or Earing for Hutchinson.
We gave the ball away too much against Stevenage, we need that to change tomorrow night and get back to winning ways.

That’s not fair. I thought we were magnificent against Newport in a totally different way. We looked rock solid, even with 10 men, and scrapped a brilliant three points away. Those performances are needed at this level, you’re not going to play total football every week. And beating Swindon 2-0 at home with your reserve players in wasn’t bad either.

3 Likes

The SO Legal Stadium is always a tough place to go but you feel this is the sort of game that will have a big bearing on how we do this season. Fancy us to grind out a 1-0 win.

Lets not forget we have had a massive turnover of players once again, so we need to be patient its not always going to be pretty but important thing is we are picking up points when we are not on our game a very good trait to have.

I’m not bothered at all if we play average and win games. We don’t really look like losing games, so aslong as we score up the other end then we have every chance of winning.

Compared to this time last year where we had started the season with 4 losses, we’ve started this season with 3 wins and a draw.

We look hard to beat, solid at the back, minimal defensive mistakes and have a striker that will score goals and is already on 5 goals for the season.

We’ll be more than fine.

5 Likes

When Brown came in last year he made them all train in Barrow and move up there but I don’t know if they’ve reverted to training elsewhere again now

Had a new training facility agreement in Salford thia last May/June. 90 miles away from Barrow - how this works with their YT would be interesting to know.

1 Like

I defended our performances so far, but I don’t think this is a fair excuse either. This is the 5th game of the season with a very settled first 11, most of whom were in place and playing together over a month ago.

Clarke used the gelling excuse, Taylor did, but the truth is every season you have lots of new faces at this level at every club. But Flynn doesn’t need to though, because we have been mostly brilliant to this point anyway.

Definitely not an excuse as we are 2nd in the league and in the 2nd round of the cup, but with 16 new players through the door alot of players at a young age and ready to develop i can only see us in improving the more game time they get.

that’s interesting, i see that as a disadvantage so great.

I can’t understand whites performance? he was one of the stand out players against Hartlepool

He picked up a injury against Swindon and also had a knock in the first half on Saturday plus the hot conditions, you could see he was blowing out his arse. For me the blame lies with Flynn poor game management. To make White play 90 mins when he was clearly struggling was bonkers especially when we are struggling with injuries in the back line.

1 Like

3 games in charge 9 yellows and 2 reds given some record that is from the ref.

Would take a point here to be fair.

2 2 draw is my prediction. Gordon’s bound to score isn’t he

1 Like

Oh Christ. Haines is up there with Kettle when it comes to refereeing incompetence.

3 Likes

Horrible fixture this, and I think it will tell us exactly how good this squad actually is.

1 Like