L 2-1 vs Barrow (A) - League Two - Tue 16th Aug, 7:45pm

Did someone say we’d sold 200 tickets? Not sure if that was on here or in the Hub Saturday but I thought I’d seen/heard it somewhere.Unless they are full of BS of course.

Looks like Gordon will be getting an early bath then :grinning:.

1 Like

Will be a few more than that I’m sure. School holidays still and nice part of the world to visit.

Yeah this is from Friday so expecting over that now

3 Likes

Wheely? :grin:

You’ve used the words magnificent and brilliant, fair enough if your comment pertained to the Hartlepool game.
We were resolute at Newport, comfortable against Swindon and outplayed v Stevenage.
I get what you’re saying we’re not going to be playing total football every week, my worry is our midfield got totally shut down on Saturday leaving the team essentially ineffective. I certainly to want to revert to last season’s hopeful long ball to a lone centre forward and crappy wing backs.
Maybe my expectations are too high, we have more than a decent squad with injured talent waiting in the wings and coverage in almost every position.
We’re in an enviable league position, through to the 2nd round of a cup competition, so why am I complaining? I certainly shouldn’t be. I guess it boils down to expectations. The standard was set with the season opener, would I like us to play like that every game? Who wouldn’t, right? We would have the title wrapped up by Christmas!
It usually for fans to judge a team after 10 games or so, we’re barely into a third of that and, we doing alright.

Wots with the it’s a long trip to barrow a and down south on sat have thay not heard of going early enough to get there so u can rest it’s not as if thay sodding walking it for god sake it’s called forward planning

1 Like

Were we?

I can only recall them having two real attempts on goal which troubled us, the save from Evans in the first half and the goal in the 100th minute.

Constant diagonal hoofs and long throw ins was all they could resort to and our three centre halves headed out pretty much every single one of them.

2 Likes

Seems to be a major issue for the club. Objective being to come away from both fixtures without further injury.

I don’t see how you can describe Newports result and performance as anything other than magnificent to be honest.

Was it magnificent football? No

But it was magnificent application, game management, effort. Especially down to 10 men. No question whatsoever that that was a magnificent performance. If you can’t appreciate that performance you don’t understand the difference between playing an undercooked team at home and a half decent one away with a man disadvantage.

1 Like

It was a great result at Newport and a very good defensive performance. But to say it was magnificent is not right. We hardly put 2 passes together all game

2 Likes

For me they completely bossed and out played our midfield, but your right about the long balls it was painful to watch at times.

Anyone going to this AND Gillingham?

Huge credit to anyone who does in these times, Barrow is an adventure but feels like the other side of the Moon especially on a weeknight while Gillingham is easy to get to from central London…if yet another bleeding rail strike wasn’t happening on that day.

As for the game it’s usually a draw up there isn’t it. Will go for 1-2 win with Johnson and Hutchinson scoring.

Never said the football was pretty. There’s more than one way to win a football match. We executed it perfectly, bar the sending off. And then fought even harder.

Did you not say the performance was magnificent?
Surley if we had been creating chances and defended as we did that would be classed as magnificent.
It was a solid defensive performance.

I actually thought we defended better on Saturday than we did at Newport to be perfectly honest.
Evans made his only error since his arrival by coming for a ball he had no chance of getting, then Comley leaving Rose open at the far post in the 100th minute.
Anyway, it’s all water under the bridge and we have two tough away games to contend with. On paper we’re better than both opponents but this is L2 and anything can happen.

Yep. Nothing I’ve said changes that. Where did I go back in that?

You can be magnificent, wonderful, brilliant, awesome without pinging the ball around like prime Barcelona. Seems to be outside the comprehension for some.

Maybe the keeper shouted ‘my ball’, so defenders (who were probably tired after 100 mins) gladly accepted it. Doesn’t matter, it probably won’t happen again. At least in this season.

2 Likes

Heroic more suits our performance at Newport. Magnificent sort of implys we played well.

1 Like