L 2-1 vs Grimsby Town (H) - League Two - Sat 27th Aug, 3pm

We need to get back to winning ways. Same line up against Charlton with DJ in for Timmy.
That formation does leave us a little exposed especially with wing backs pushing forward, but it’s exciting football that brings the crowd to it’s feet as well as creating more chances.
Much better than the up and under we’ve been playing lately.
2-0 Walsall.

1 Like

Agree. I don’t like being negative away from home but understand to a certain exstent. At home we need to be more forward thinking and let the opposition worry about us .
Also if we do go in front. Go for the jugular instead of trying to hang on to the points which we did against the mighty Stevenage that I was really angry about.

1 Like

Not sure that would work as you’d end up with DJ or Williams out on the right wing.

I don’t mind us sticking with 5-3-2, it’s the midfield combination and that balance between creative players and ball-winners that’s most important.

Dj and clarke back in the side. Earring and Bennett needs to remain, I’d keep Maher as an impact sub which I think he’s best used as at this stage

Safer to bring Maher on when we’re in a safe position or struggling and need fresh ideas and legs.

1 Like

I think we’ve all got terribly carried away with trying to work out what went wrong after Hartlepool and who is to blame.

Take away the emotion and look at it positively……

Hartlepool was a freak first day of the season result. The performance actually wasn’t that far removed from the following 2/3 games other than we got a goal up followed by another which allowed us to settle and we’re buoyed by a partisan home crowd. We forget that actually up until the first goal Hartlepool had the better of it. The second was an absolute text book counter attack and it was game over from therein.

Newport wasn’t as bad as everyone made out by comparison. However we need to remember they had the benefit of seeing the opening day. They made contingencies for one or two exceptional players…both of whom ended up coming off on the hour!

Swindon was a decent performance for the most part. Most players showed similar levels to the Hartlepool game without the sprinkling of stardust….or should we say ‘rub of the green’!!

Stevenage was tough. A good strong physical side who had a game plan and stifled us with their physicality. We ground it out. But it was necessary and again players worked hard and weren’t lacking anything other than for game changing moments.

Barrow is the one everyone seemed to take as a watershed moment. But reality is it was a poor start to a game in a tough week at a tough venue. Two set pieces were the difference in 12 minutes of football!! We weren’t really at the races but it wasn’t unexpected and was our first real BAD showing in 5 games and Gillingham were far better than their results or form showed, but it was a 0-0 from about minute 5!!!

There isn’t a great rebuild required. Kinsella and Comley are doing the exact same jobs they did v Hartlepool. Why is it so negative to have them in the side now? Hutchinson hasn’t lit the place up like Hartlepool but he’s still looked a player. He’s still created shooting chances, he’s played deeper twice and didn’t start v Gills so it’s hardly season long poor form!! Williams and DJ are still our first choice front two. Evans has barely put a foot wrong. Daniel’s Monthe and Clarke have been exceptional almost every game……

Come on we barely need wholesale changes searching for a magic formula that a) doesn’t exist and b) we never had anyway!!!

I’d start the same as Hartlepool. Not only has no one really tossed their shirt away without a care, I really don’t feel anyone has grabbed it off them either!!

3 Likes

I can almost hear the Hovis theme tune playing in the background. Don’t tell me: you finished it off by cadging one of your nan’s Woodbines. Happy days :joy:

2 Likes

It won’t happen but I’d go:

Evans

Bennett Daniels Monthe Allen

Hutchinson Comley Earing

Knowles Johnson Maher

I’d imagine it will be:

Evans

Bennett Daniels Clarke Monthe Allen

Kinsella Comley Hutchinson

Johnson Williams

LMAO :joy:
I do remember when i lived in Clayhanger, there used to be a shop in Bridge street called Birch’s and i used to go there to get 5 Woodbine for my nan or grandad, and they used to put them in the little white paper bags that they put the sweets in :grin:

1 Like

Evans
Bennett Clarke Monthe Allen
Earing Comley Hutchinson
Maher Johnson Knowles

1 Like

Bennett will get dropped in favour of White.
I dont kmow why, but White seems to be a favourite of Flynn

Where I think Maher has a great future ahead, I’m not sure he’s made the shirt his yet.

1 Like

Flynn likes White because he is reliable and a good team man. I quite like him too but, if we are trying to offer more up front in terms of attack, then Bennett seems a more logical choice. But, like Rugbysaddler, I think he will play White.

For me, the big question is Knowles and how we accommodate him because I think we should. He offers something different from the others. Having said that, with 5 subs, we do need to think of a first 16 not a first 11,

2 Likes

Tomorrow feels more important than it probably should.

Half a dozen games in and if we win we’ll be in the play-off spots and that early season optimism will continue, lose and we’re mid table and out of the cup with the season feeling a bit like the previous three.

They’re expecting to bring nearly a thousand so hopefully over 5,000 again and hopefully a win.

2-1
5489 (1,092)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I remember when Flynn became manager it was said by a Newport fan on Onepod beyond that Flynn has favourites and sticks with them.
I just think attacking wise we are so limited on our right with White at RWB. Bennett needs to start Saturday.

Feeling good regarding a positive result tomorrow. I’m not expecting massive changes, but I would expect to see Bennett at RWB.

I’d probably go

Evans
Bennett Clarke Daniels Monthe Allen
Knowles Kinsella Earing
DJ Williams

Maher as an impact sub at ab 60 minutes for either Williams(Knowles then going up front) if we’re ahead or for Kins if we aren’t

1 Like

Riley set back

I told my lad he was the good luck charm when he came and watched us batter Hartlepool.

He’s not been since but is coming tomorrow.

No need to panic then. 3-0.

4 Likes

Keep an eye out for Grimsby’s Jordan Croppers throw ins, they are Lethal.

1 Like